Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

do you look in the mirror...

(28 Posts)
doughnuts Wed 04-Jul-07 13:33:47

and ever think that you look hip/fab/groovy,bitchin' or stylish or do you feel frumpy ? and how can we avoid middle aged invisibility ?

doughnuts Wed 04-Jul-07 14:35:22

anyone ? I'm interested in the fact that after a certain age women become invisible...am trying to avoid that happening !

LoveMyGirls Wed 04-Jul-07 14:38:46

I try not to look, when i do look i think i'm not as bad as i think, if i lost a stone and didnt have spots i think i would actually be quite pretty. If i had some money for nice clothes, hair, make up and nails i would look amazing but as i cant hardly pay the bills im not in a position to do anything about the state of me. I'm 25 btw.

What age do you thbink people become invisable? I'm hoping when i'm 35 i will start looking nice, might get me some matching underwear and handbags the same colour as my shoes etc.

Marne Wed 04-Jul-07 14:40:23

I look in the mirror, i hate looking at my body because i hate my tummy, i think i look slightly frumpy, sometimes groovy, older than i feel and not very sexy

After a few drinks i look hip/fab/sexy and young

mslucy Wed 04-Jul-07 14:42:46

still try to follow fashion but in my own peculiar way. Probably too many scarves, beads, too much purple, but then I think my inner goth still calls to me.

I am nearly 37 - much nearer to 40 than 30.
I am planning a "back to the 90s madchester Rave on party for my 40th".

yes I do wear leggings, skinny jeans, smocks - yes I look like mutton.

Do I care.

Do I fuck.

Age shall not wither her nor custom stale her infinite variety.

doughnuts Wed 04-Jul-07 14:52:11

excellent mslucy ! I was talking to a friend,same age as me (late 40s - so lots older than you whippersnappers) and she was sad that when some mid twenties colleagues were discussing clothes,style etc she was excluded from the conversation, despite being very stylish and cool - she said she felt as thougfh her opinions and ideas weren't valids any longer.
Personally I think I've lost my spark having been really quite adventurous when younger (lots of colour and vintage clothes). I long to get some of that back but am a bit frightened of lokking as though I'm trying too hard - definitely don't want to be seen as a saddo trying to look hip ! Plus I hate looking in mirrors,am hyper critical and sitting in the hairdressers is torture (though I love having my hair done) I just feel like a poile of cack in there !

nailpolish Wed 04-Jul-07 14:52:34

i look in the mirror, but i stand really far back

expatinscotland Wed 04-Jul-07 14:53:07

i like being invisible. it means i mostly get left alone, which i value.

doughnuts Wed 04-Jul-07 14:53:38

I did go through a stage of not wearing my contact lenses to avoid too much detail !

themaskedposter Wed 04-Jul-07 14:55:07

lol - yes, I was just going to say sometimes I look in the mirror and am happy ... then I put my glasses on ...

SquareSausage Wed 04-Jul-07 14:56:34

can i come to your party mclucy.
madchester rave on!

lou33 Wed 04-Jul-07 14:57:15

depends on my mood, today i feel old and tired and puffy eyed

littlelapin Wed 04-Jul-07 14:59:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlelapin Wed 04-Jul-07 14:59:15

francagoestohollywood Wed 04-Jul-07 15:02:52

I think I actually need a tan

doughnuts Wed 04-Jul-07 15:03:49

aggh - accidentally catching sight of yourself in a shop window - hate it !

themaskedposter Wed 04-Jul-07 15:06:07

arf @ lapin

(for the second time today - stop it you wascally wabbit!)

littlelapin Wed 04-Jul-07 15:08:25

ThomCat Wed 04-Jul-07 15:09:24

Am pregnant so struggling with looking hip tbh, but am trying very hard.

DP took a load of pics of me at the weekend and I wasn't mortified but at the same time I definitley have a very different imag of me in my head!

I feel semi stylish still, would feel more so without a bump and with 2 stone lost. Still partying even now at 6 months pregnant and 2 DDs so can't be all bad.

PetitFilou1 Wed 04-Jul-07 15:12:48

Nicky Hambleton Jones's answer to avoiding Middle Age Invisibility seems to be high heels, red lipstick and pencil skirts. Not for everyone though is it and whilst might be ok for work not so good down your local park (unless you're looking for that sort of work of course )

mslucy Wed 04-Jul-07 16:41:46

Nicky H-J is a bitch.

Gok, however is a god.

Though his use of the word "bangers" is a bit of a worry.

I always thought a "banger" was a sausage or a very old car.

doughnuts Wed 04-Jul-07 17:39:24

yes, I like Gok

kama Wed 04-Jul-07 17:51:15

Message withdrawn

FioFio Wed 04-Jul-07 17:52:07

Message withdrawn

MrsFish Wed 04-Jul-07 18:00:08

littleapin - I am exactly the same, can feel quite good about myself when I look in the mirror at home, but damn those shop windows, make me look about two stone heavier, short and very very frumpy, as whoosh, my good mood has gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now