Talk

Advanced search

What goes with a really nice tuxedo style jacket?

(11 Posts)
Carmenere Wed 04-Jul-07 10:49:17

My dsis has given me a really lovely tuxedo style black jacket, it fits me really well and cost around £300. Unfortunately she didn't have trousers to fit me to go with it (she has a clothing line btw). So it is my birthday on Friday and dp is bringing me to a really nice but casual restaurant and I would like to wear it and am going into town today to find something to wear with it but what?

A black t-shirt and smart jeans? A skirt? A shirt? Help please? Am having a crisis of confidence!

I'm a size 16/18 and 5'10"

FrogPrincess Wed 04-Jul-07 10:56:52

sounds lovely, and ideally matching trousers would be best, but I don't think you'll be able to get that, and it's going to be impossible to find black trousers in exactly the same tone of black and material....
so, I would go for something completely different
what?
not sure yet
will have a think
Is the jacket quite long?
how fitted is it?

Carmenere Wed 04-Jul-07 11:04:19

How about these?

FrogPrincess Wed 04-Jul-07 11:12:33

possibly
but you need a really cool t-shirt to go with a combination like that
something in that vein http://www.sugarbullets.com/Woman/amplified/

Carmenere Wed 04-Jul-07 11:28:06

Those t-shirts are great BUT would I look, as my mum used to say, 'mutton dressed as lamb' considering that it is my 37th birthday and I am not quite as fab as I used to be
Would a plain black t-shirt do?

FrogPrincess Wed 04-Jul-07 11:28:54

I'm 37, that's not old!!!!!
plain back too mumsy

FrogPrincess Wed 04-Jul-07 11:30:15

how about something like that http://www.coast-stores.com/fcp/product/-/ALLTops/Gabriella-Pleated-Scoop-Neck-Top/2374845410
love the colour

Carmenere Wed 04-Jul-07 11:51:38

Oh that is nice. How about black jeans and a coloured top?

Stargazing Wed 04-Jul-07 13:30:20

okay, am going to butt in now - as someone who has worked the tuxedo jacket look many times!
That top from Coast is lovely but won't work well under the jacket - you need something more streamlined, since the jacket is structured. You also can't possibly have that dangly bit hanging off it.
So... I reckon go for a camisole top - the more vintagey the better - provides a lovely, feminine, sexy counterbalance to the slightly masculine edge of the tux jacket. Go for a champagne or pink colour if you want to be subtle, or something like aqua if you don't. Something along these lines
Then wear it with black or white jeans and a pair of heels and either some hoop earrings or a necklace - not both together.
You will look HOT!!

Carmenere Wed 04-Jul-07 18:22:29

Ok so I got these and a brown sleeveless draped top.

And I got a gorgeous pair of burgundy suede peep toe high heels in TK Maxx for just £8.

Carmenere Wed 04-Jul-07 18:23:26

Normally I wouldn't wear anything with diamonte on but actually the jeans fit really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now