Talk

Advanced search

Very Posh 10th Anniversary Party - HELP - what present, what to wear, am like a fat GOOSE in a dress

(57 Posts)
StarryStarryNight Wed 04-Jul-07 08:32:58

I am going to this extremely posh 10th anniversary, 100 guests coctail waiters, staff, held in a mansion on the Thames, invite says "dinner and dancing".

Can you TELL I am not used to society events?

I am like a duck out of water, and I look like a goose in any dress. I am sixe 16 bordering on 18. Have dieted for three months prior to this, eating salads and vegetable soups, but my weight wont shift! My tummy just wont slim or shape up, my arms are chubby so needs hiding, I need to find a dress pronto! Help!

I guess, on a day to day basis, I dont feel inferior, but on events like these, I really feel conscious about our differences, and I need a nice dress!

RubySlippers Wed 04-Jul-07 08:37:37

wrap dress or something in jersey/sil which will skim over your curves
what about this
what are your best bits?

fishie Wed 04-Jul-07 08:40:02

budget? what sort of shape are you? when is this event?

how about top and skirt rather than dress? many sales now, hobbs, lk bennet. can you get to shops?

RubySlippers Wed 04-Jul-07 08:41:24

you can really something like this up

StarryStarryNight Wed 04-Jul-07 09:41:08

Thanks, both these dresses are really nice.
But I think my tummy is my absolutely worst feature, so cant have something that clings to the waist. My chest is ok, not oversized, and my shoulders are ok, and below the knee is not so bad either. I could possibly have a nice dress with a wrap or small jacket to hide my arms? It is just my tummy and my "biceps" that is relly bad. But I dont ever wear dresses so dont even know where to start. I am very much a trousers and lambswool jumper / shirt / erm and I like twinsets...Favourite are: Gap, Per Una, Monsoon, Next and I hardly ever go anywhere else... (Hate clothes shopping)

I havent thought about budget. I will not want to spend more than £70-100 for outfit in total.

RubySlippers Wed 04-Jul-07 11:27:59

look at these on Bravissimo
if you have a good chest then there stuff may be really flattering for you

TroyMcClure Wed 04-Jul-07 11:29:31

NO NO NO to wrap dresses on big glas
they LCIONG to every single bit of you
is it balck tie

i got a fab red one fom pahse eight sale wiht a jacket to go over th top but htink they stop at a 16

TroyMcClure Wed 04-Jul-07 11:31:05

what abotu this wiht a corset thign underneath fab coloured hsoes - say silver and silevr clutch

StarryStarryNight Wed 04-Jul-07 12:02:28

Oh, I love the styles from Phase Eight! I even have a few nearby, I need to go and try some on! Do they sell corsets? Maybe the best option would be a body corset with a push up bra?

TroyMcClure Wed 04-Jul-07 12:03:12

no get anall in one suit thing fomr marks imo rather than pants that roll donw.

conversation stopper heels adn a nice bag

dont eb too matchy mathcy

StarryStarryNight Wed 04-Jul-07 12:06:23

something like this?

MrsBadger Wed 04-Jul-07 12:15:08

oi cod
come and help me with henley

hoxtonchick Wed 04-Jul-07 12:17:03

totally disagree with cod about wrap dresses (sorry fishface ), esp if you have any kind of waist as they emphasise it well (i am about the same size as you but with bigger boobs).

StarryStarryNight Wed 04-Jul-07 12:31:57

My tummy is too big to have a waist, sadly, or rather, I have a waist from behind!

Dogsby Wed 04-Jul-07 12:32:27

yes but if you have a lardy arse it SLINGS to it nad makes your boobs looks trnagly huge

Dogsby Wed 04-Jul-07 12:32:32

clings

StarryStarryNight Wed 04-Jul-07 12:42:09

My bottom is just fine thank you, not lardy at all. I cycle a lot and do salsa. Maybe I am overexaggerating the size of my tummy through self consciousnes, but I think a wrapparound is too clingy.

MrsCodger Wed 04-Jul-07 12:55:05

Do empire line things thus make you look pg?
(not funny, some people do, others get away with it)

StarryStarryNight Wed 04-Jul-07 13:00:57

I have never tried on that kind of dress. I dont know if it will make me look pg, I think I should try one!

WelshGirlie Wed 04-Jul-07 19:50:38

StarryStarryNight, I'm so glad you posted because I'm in a very similar predicament!

I've been invited to a black-tie wedding. I'm also a 16/18 and very much an 'apple' shape. My chest is a feature and my legs below the knee are ok.

I am terrified.

I'm thinking of getting a cocktail dress like this one...
pretty dress

and teaming it with something like this...[[http://www.coast-stores.com/fcp/product/-//Florence-Cover-Up/2465569180 ]] to cover the dreaded upper arms!

I would appreciate any feedback from stylish ladies. I'm essentially a scruffbag!

WelshGirlie Wed 04-Jul-07 19:51:43

I stuffed up the second link!

cover up

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 19:52:58

Message withdrawn

WelshGirlie Wed 04-Jul-07 20:06:06

Really? Oh crap!
What do you suggest? I am truly clueless on this.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 20:12:51

Message withdrawn

WelshGirlie Wed 04-Jul-07 20:18:05

My arse is fine, thankfully.
It's a little flat, but it's not wide. And I don't have saddlebag thighs. In fact my outer thighs are nice and firm. Let's not talk about inner thighs, I may have to cry!

Will straight not emphasise my belly?

I thought flaring out a little would help to skim over it.

If I'm wrong, please tell me. I really appreciate your thoughts missus!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now