Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

which dress do you like?

(28 Posts)
Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:08:21

Okay I've read the entire 'white dress to a wedding" thread and must admit that I am iffy about the idea of wearing white ... but love this Isabella Oliver dress and wonder if it could be handpainted with a design to make it less 'white'?? The alternative is this or this what d'yall think?

Hathor Fri 29-Jun-07 21:10:55

That first one is lovely on that model. Assume you are pg? With good shoulders and boobs it would look great. Nothing wrong with white for weddings IMO. Doesn't mean a thing anymore.

Hathor Fri 29-Jun-07 21:12:17

Oh - just realised you are not the bride. Perhaps a bit too like a wedding dress? Great shape though.

bewilderbeast Fri 29-Jun-07 21:12:35

I love the white one but it does look like a wedding dress and may upset the bride, I like the second one it's beautiful but I really dilike the third one.

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:13:00

yes, sorry am pg. Have got good shoulders, arms, neck etc so like halters (my hips, legs and bum are another matter entirely) Have got 3 weddings to go to, at 5months, 6months and 7 months - how could I make that white one less bridal?

bewilderbeast Fri 29-Jun-07 21:13:11

that should have been dislike the third one

Rosa Fri 29-Jun-07 21:13:28

Like the ist 2 not too sure about the third. If you do wear white you would not be the one holding the flowers and a tirara in your hair..I would say go for it !

Tutter Fri 29-Jun-07 21:14:16

really think the io one is too bride-like

like 2 more than 3

(they're from my friend's shop, btw)

jeangenie Fri 29-Jun-07 21:14:20

I think the first looks like a wedding dress tbh it's the fact it is white and floor length - I'd go for the push tabia one - it looks absolutely lovely and a bit less bridey

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:14:32

beast, what do you particularly dislike about the third? The fact that it looks like the entire 1970s threw up on it? Or something else?

trippleshot Fri 29-Jun-07 21:15:27

Well being pregnant no one is going to believe you're a virgin, and possibly deduce from that you're not the bride either. It's a lovely dress, but I am opposed to wearing white when not the bride to a wedding. The second dress is fab, a little bit Missoni.

Rosa Fri 29-Jun-07 21:15:32

Bright colour additions e.g bangle , bag , pashmina so you can show off the shoulders. Maybe take it upa bit so not 'long' just above ankles???

Posey Fri 29-Jun-07 21:15:39

Love the first of the alternatives, the middle one. Just gorgeous.

Aefondkiss Fri 29-Jun-07 21:16:40

I like the second one best of the three, though the third is my 2nd choice, don't like the white, too bridal, though I like the idea of customising(have you successfully done such things before?)

hoxtonchick Fri 29-Jun-07 21:16:48

i like the 3rd one best.

TinyGang Fri 29-Jun-07 21:17:21

I like the first two.

If you especially like the white one, could you hunt down a good dressmaker and have it copied in another colour?

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:19:26

typically, the white Isabella Oliver one is the cheapest ... and the company that owes me over £3000 went into administartion today ... ugh ... it comes with a sash, what about if I dyed the sash a different colour? and wore shoes to match? Still too bridal?

hoxtonchick Fri 29-Jun-07 21:20:01

could you get the whole dress died, if you go for the IO one?

hoxtonchick Fri 29-Jun-07 21:20:21

er, dyed .

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:21:37

would be scared to dye the whole thing ... risky, no? could go dead blotchy and end up looking like smething I biught on the beach in Thailand. What about this one? too drab?

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:21:59

something I bought on the beach, even

hoxtonchick Fri 29-Jun-07 21:29:22

there must be proper people who dye things out there in the real world....

Hideehi Fri 29-Jun-07 21:35:19

oh no idon't like the top shop at all, number gets my vote.

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:36:18

number which, Hideehi???? You left out the number!!!!

katylui1 Fri 29-Jun-07 21:56:03

My friend did once wore white dress with a (satiny) pashmina in aqua tied over the whole bump. Sounds awful but it really looks stunning. It was for a wedding - althought she was bridesmaid so was forgiven for looking a tad bridal, but I thought it looked amazing and would totally do for any other occasion.
Maybe using a patterned fabric?? It is an amazing dess, would be a shame not to invest...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: