Talk

Advanced search

which dress do you like?

(28 Posts)
Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:08:21

Okay I've read the entire 'white dress to a wedding" thread and must admit that I am iffy about the idea of wearing white ... but love this Isabella Oliver dress and wonder if it could be handpainted with a design to make it less 'white'?? The alternative is this or this what d'yall think?

Hathor Fri 29-Jun-07 21:10:55

That first one is lovely on that model. Assume you are pg? With good shoulders and boobs it would look great. Nothing wrong with white for weddings IMO. Doesn't mean a thing anymore.

Hathor Fri 29-Jun-07 21:12:17

Oh - just realised you are not the bride. Perhaps a bit too like a wedding dress? Great shape though.

bewilderbeast Fri 29-Jun-07 21:12:35

I love the white one but it does look like a wedding dress and may upset the bride, I like the second one it's beautiful but I really dilike the third one.

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:13:00

yes, sorry am pg. Have got good shoulders, arms, neck etc so like halters (my hips, legs and bum are another matter entirely) Have got 3 weddings to go to, at 5months, 6months and 7 months - how could I make that white one less bridal?

bewilderbeast Fri 29-Jun-07 21:13:11

that should have been dislike the third one

Rosa Fri 29-Jun-07 21:13:28

Like the ist 2 not too sure about the third. If you do wear white you would not be the one holding the flowers and a tirara in your hair..I would say go for it !

Tutter Fri 29-Jun-07 21:14:16

really think the io one is too bride-like

like 2 more than 3

(they're from my friend's shop, btw)

jeangenie Fri 29-Jun-07 21:14:20

I think the first looks like a wedding dress tbh it's the fact it is white and floor length - I'd go for the push tabia one - it looks absolutely lovely and a bit less bridey

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:14:32

beast, what do you particularly dislike about the third? The fact that it looks like the entire 1970s threw up on it? Or something else?

trippleshot Fri 29-Jun-07 21:15:27

Well being pregnant no one is going to believe you're a virgin, and possibly deduce from that you're not the bride either. It's a lovely dress, but I am opposed to wearing white when not the bride to a wedding. The second dress is fab, a little bit Missoni.

Rosa Fri 29-Jun-07 21:15:32

Bright colour additions e.g bangle , bag , pashmina so you can show off the shoulders. Maybe take it upa bit so not 'long' just above ankles???

Posey Fri 29-Jun-07 21:15:39

Love the first of the alternatives, the middle one. Just gorgeous.

Aefondkiss Fri 29-Jun-07 21:16:40

I like the second one best of the three, though the third is my 2nd choice, don't like the white, too bridal, though I like the idea of customising(have you successfully done such things before?)

hoxtonchick Fri 29-Jun-07 21:16:48

i like the 3rd one best.

TinyGang Fri 29-Jun-07 21:17:21

I like the first two.

If you especially like the white one, could you hunt down a good dressmaker and have it copied in another colour?

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:19:26

typically, the white Isabella Oliver one is the cheapest ... and the company that owes me over £3000 went into administartion today ... ugh ... it comes with a sash, what about if I dyed the sash a different colour? and wore shoes to match? Still too bridal?

hoxtonchick Fri 29-Jun-07 21:20:01

could you get the whole dress died, if you go for the IO one?

hoxtonchick Fri 29-Jun-07 21:20:21

er, dyed .

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:21:37

would be scared to dye the whole thing ... risky, no? could go dead blotchy and end up looking like smething I biught on the beach in Thailand. What about this one? too drab?

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:21:59

something I bought on the beach, even

hoxtonchick Fri 29-Jun-07 21:29:22

there must be proper people who dye things out there in the real world....

Hideehi Fri 29-Jun-07 21:35:19

oh no idon't like the top shop at all, number gets my vote.

Stargazing Fri 29-Jun-07 21:36:18

number which, Hideehi???? You left out the number!!!!

katylui1 Fri 29-Jun-07 21:56:03

My friend did once wore white dress with a (satiny) pashmina in aqua tied over the whole bump. Sounds awful but it really looks stunning. It was for a wedding - althought she was bridesmaid so was forgiven for looking a tad bridal, but I thought it looked amazing and would totally do for any other occasion.
Maybe using a patterned fabric?? It is an amazing dess, would be a shame not to invest...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now