Talk

Advanced search

Lipstick Challenge January 2019.

(386 Posts)
SapphireSeptember Tue 01-Jan-19 00:13:30

I'm calling it! You know the rules, wear a different lipstick every day this month. (I love this and look forward to it every year.) Has it been a year already? shock I've been buying make-up (again) and have some lippies I need to get through! I'm not wearing anything at the moment, that will change come morning though. smile

RiskIt4Biscuit Wed 02-Jan-19 19:20:33

Charlotte Tilbury is very conservative and somewhat natural. Even the red/brighter colours are very classic and not very exciting, unlike some of the colours from Mac, Urban Decay, Smashbox, Bite Beauty and Colourpop.
I must admit that the conservative/classic style is my kind of thing (now I'm a bit older), but I also get why it is seen as a bit boring.

The issue with CT lipsticks IMO is however that the quality is all over the place - some of the lipsticks perform pretty well (read: like any other lipstick), while others are downright terrible; patchy, wear unevenly, skip areas on the lips and bleed into lines.

That Anastasia BH lipstick is gorgeous (frankly, they all are in that picture)!
I really like the MJ Slow Burn lipstick too - I have it, but I don't remember it as being particularly bad, but it has been a while since I wore it last. It doesn't set on the lips like some other liquid lipsticks do, but I like that because it doesn't feel dry on the lips.

Lottapianos Wed 02-Jan-19 19:21:45

Welcome Greyhound22! Don't worry about how many you have, just pick one at random for as much of January as you can manage

Re Charlotte Tilbury, I think she has some great colours in her range which are really unusual- Bond Girl and Hot Emily come to mind. The formula of the mattes is fairly good, not too drying, but not wow either. The non mattes last about 10 minutes on me before fading- very disappointing

Lottapianos Wed 02-Jan-19 19:23:48

Cross post about CT, Risk! That's exactly it - some are fine, some are downright awful. All are way overpriced for the quality if you ask me. I have had way better quality for less than a tenner from the high street

StatisticallyChallenged Wed 02-Jan-19 19:46:44

Found a better picture - the first one is more what they were meant to be like, the second is a bit more accurate. They're all just a shade louder! The little mini sets are great for trying things though as, let's face it - how often do you finish a lipstick (like, never in my case!)

I've not actually tried Charlotte Tilbury, I really need to at some point.

I counted up and (some being minis) I'm waiting on 27 lipsticks/glosses arriving blush plus DH got me an hourglass set for xmas, and I have a new YSL sitting waiting to be used too.

I may have a problem...grin

BusterGonad Thu 03-Jan-19 02:44:44

Sapphire I'm in Bali at the moment (on the islands) I've got 2 boat trips to do today then flying home tomorrow. I have bought 2 Maybeline lipsticks actually but I don't wear make up on holiday so I'll get in board on my return.

SapphireSeptember Thu 03-Jan-19 09:37:23

Statically You and me both! grin Those ABH lipsticks look lovely!

Biscuit I'm definitely not CT's target audience then! I'm a bit out there in my appearance. smile And I still baulk at paying over £20 for anything make up related unless it's a decent set (that's individually, I spend quite a lot on make up in general. £20 is nothing, but I did get ten lipsticks for that recently so it can go a long way!)

Hello Greyhound!

Oh Buster, that sounds fabulous! Hope you've had a lovely holiday.

AnotherPinkiePieStory Thu 03-Jan-19 11:10:27

Love the look of those ABH lipsticks. I can never resist a mini either! Currently watching some Huda minis on eBay. Anyone tried them?
Agree about CT. really disliked the nudes I tried and I have a gorgeous blue-red (So Marilyn I think) but bleeds terribly and not worth it. Keep meaning to give it away but then look at the fab packaging and it stays. blush

Great lipstick by the way sapphire. You’re my inspiration to try more vivid shades.
Agree biscuit maybe I’m expecting marc jacobs to dry and it’s not meant to!

Today is Rimmel provocalips in Kiss me you fool. Great colour and lasts. Not sure 16 hours though!

StatisticallyChallenged Thu 03-Jan-19 13:44:34

I have some of the Huda liquid lipstick minis - the sets of 4. They're very good, very long lasting.

Greyhound22 Thu 03-Jan-19 14:12:59

Got NYX Indie Flick on today.

Not really used any of theirs but it seems nice. Perfect orangy red that I was looking for.

Any recommendations for a more pinky orange?

princessbear80 Thu 03-Jan-19 14:53:16

Thanks for the welcome sapphire.

Another I really like that Rimmel one. Might add that to my list.

Here is my offering for today - my everyday lippie. It’s a discontinued one from L’oreal - color riche beamy plum.

It’s quite hard getting a selfie of just your lips isn’t it?!

TheCag Thu 03-Jan-19 15:01:01

I love this thread, although it cost me quite a lot of money last year ;). Hopefully I’ve got enough lipsticks for the month this time!

My due date for dc3 is tomorrow so I’ll be using this thread to try and look glam post partum.

I’m in minimal, nude mode currently, mac mehr yesterday and Mac viva glam 2 today. I’ll go for something more bold tomorrow and take a pic.

MotherTruckerHere Thu 03-Jan-19 15:04:59

I LOVE this thread! I love lippy and wear it whenever I can. Used to be scared of colour but my absolute favourite is my matte red Armani lippy and matching liner. Stays on all day and doesn’t make your lips dry out. Pricey but worth it 💋

StatisticallyChallenged Thu 03-Jan-19 18:22:54

Today's lippy - ysl volupte liquid colour balm in shade 2 (expose me rose)

Subtle and soft but feels lovely on.

RiskIt4Biscuit Thu 03-Jan-19 19:13:34

Nice lipsticks you're all wearing today!

I'm wearing the Alexis Ren x Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip liquid lipstick in Little Weapon.
It's a very bright orange-red (any picture I've seen makes it look like a fairly normal red - to me, it's far brighter), which I really like, but it is so hard to apply.

I'm useless with a doe foot applicator, so usually have to use a brush to make it look decent, but with the type of liquid lipstick that dries down and sets on the lips, I find it so hard to get to look good.
Which tricks am I missing?

dahliaaa Thu 03-Jan-19 20:01:21

princessbear that lipstick is lovely. Real shame that it is discontinued. Have you found a similar one you will replace it with ?

Lottapianos Thu 03-Jan-19 20:08:16

Hi all, today I had Lancome satin lipstick in Rose. Lovely blue toned pink, and lasts well, but the formula is a bit drying and bleeds on my upper lip despite prepping with lipliner first. NOT what you expect for £25. Disappointing and I don't think I would bother with Lancome lipsticks again

Lucked Thu 03-Jan-19 20:13:26

I took a couple of days off mumsnet and missed this thread starting, don’t think I kept going for the full month last year but will try this time as I have enough lipsticks! I think I wear the brightest lipsticks in my friendship group but it is still pretty conservative. I am pale and a bit of colour brightens my face and makes me look healthier.

My favourite posted so far is the Rimmel kiss me you fool although google images hints that it might be brighter than it looks in pinkies picture.

Summary of January so far
1st Clinique colour pop matte in blushing pop. Thought I would try a nude as I was sorting my lipsticks. A bit greige on me with not enough pink. Okay wear. I can’t wear mattes everyday as I get dry lips.

2nd Estée Lauder pure colour envy in Rebellious Rose. Part of Christmas gift set and awesome colour on me. Lasts a good length of time without been drying. I may have to buy more of these (got three in the set). Weirdly I have been wearing double wear for so long but have never tried any other Estée Lauder make up

3rd l’oreal Infallible lipstick in born to blush. First purchase of the new year and a massive mistake. Reminds me why I have to avoid long wear lipsticks, had to reapply at lunch anyway and now my lips feel ruined. They feel so sensitive and starting to peel.

Tomorrow may be a tinted balm if my lips are no better.

Lottapianos Thu 03-Jan-19 20:22:53

Lucked, do you think that EL Pure Colour envy are worth the money?

princessbear80 Thu 03-Jan-19 20:46:04

Hi dahliaaa unfortunately no I haven’t found a replacement. I did track down 3 on eBay from Canada, but despite looking identical in the tube, it seems a little warmer in tone so not as nice on me.

I like the look of the EL rebellious rose one mentioned above. Some swatches on Pinterest look similar. Any chance of a photo please lucked?

Lucked Thu 03-Jan-19 21:01:35

I’ve got Vaseline on my lips at the moment but will try and do one at the weekend.

I think they are good lots of pigment and lasted about 5 hours and it didn’t bleed at all. The other two shades are also great on me so I was delighted at Christmas. Disclaimer I expect to reapply lipstick as I have sensitive lips and need moisture I wear a lot of Chanel coco rouge as they are so comfortable but I admit they wear off quickly.

Lottapianos Thu 03-Jan-19 21:05:50

Thanks Lucked. I have dry lips that need moisture too so might try Pure Colour envy. They're a bit of a shocking price which has put me off so far

SapphireSeptember Thu 03-Jan-19 21:37:51

Greyhound I am stumped, I'm looking at my vast stash knowing that the pinky orange lipsticks I do own are no help (Revlon Strawberry Suede, Maybelline Coral Beams, both discontinued, and some that I've got from the two Makeup Revolution advent calendars I've had.) I think Max Factor do one, but also suggest looking at Maybelline, Revlon, NYX and L'Oréal and Make Up Academy, none of which are terribly expensive (Kiko as well, if you can get to one of their shops). I also think Poundland have one in their make up range! Also, find an image of the colour you want and take it lipstick shopping with you.

Thank you Pinkie! I live by the motto "Life is too short to wear boring make up". grin

You're welcome, princess.

Welcome to Cag, Mother and Lucked! So glad you could join us. smile

My lipstick today was Urban Decay Frostbite, part of their vintage collection (they re-released some things they did in the 90s.) It's a sheer, shimmery denim blue colour. I like it, but I don't love it. Felt nice to wear though, even though it didn't last very long!
www.temptalia.com/product/urban-decay-vice-lipstick/frostbite/

MotherTruckerHere Fri 04-Jan-19 00:20:06

I wore a red Chanel one to work tonight. Dentist in the morning so will be a lopsided Carmex day for me tomorrow!

ichifanny Fri 04-Jan-19 00:36:10

Excited to do this obsessed with lipstick , bought so many trying to find the perfect mid toned bright rosy pink colour . Today it was colourpop satin lips Kathleen lights lipstick in Rever today an orangey red liquid lipstick .

Lottapianos Fri 04-Jan-19 08:10:56

Ichi, that looks like an amazing colour on you!

Today for me it's Bare Minerals matte liquid lipstick in Bo$$ - lovely nude colour and very comfortable to wear

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »