Talk

Advanced search

What is the secret to looking glam??!

(137 Posts)
ja9r Wed 12-Dec-18 20:28:04

Lighthearted

So, growing up I've always admired glam old ladies. And thought- I want to be a glam old lady. Now I'm middle aged and, without fail, look like a dishevelled wreck at the end of each work day.

So what's the secret? What are the ingredients? I'd have thought:
Nice shoes and handbag... earrings, beads or scarf.... good haircut.... make up. But it's not working! Need hair tips and make up tips. Is it lippy? Is that the key?!

Who's got it sussed and can shed any light?

recently Wed 12-Dec-18 20:28:46

Good hair, good posture. I have neither!

Tryingtogetitright Wed 12-Dec-18 20:31:23

I think it's hair. Mine always looks like I've been dragged through a bush backwards so I look scruffy no matter what I'm wearing. I think if you have well styled hair it makes you look "done". Just not sure how to achieve it! Following for tips!

Tryingtogetitright Wed 12-Dec-18 20:33:40

And I think you're right, lipstick makes a big difference. I did get a nice no7 lipstick from Boots. Got them to use the colour match machine thing and it really worked I always get compliments when I'm wearing it. It's just a nudey colour but makes me look like I've made an effort.

ja9r Wed 12-Dec-18 20:34:14

To get good hair... do you think you need to wash everyday? I do every second. Second day is always a bit limp.

howtobehuman Wed 12-Dec-18 20:38:30

No clue but I also really want to be a glam old lady!! Which is ridiculous because I've been scruffy my whole life.

Tryingtogetitright Wed 12-Dec-18 20:40:55

My hair looks ok on day 2, I tend to wash it every other day. I reckon finding a good up do might help? Lots of glam older ladies I know have grey chignons.

Tryingtogetitright Wed 12-Dec-18 20:41:36

My up do talents unfortunately stop at a ponytail....!

Truckingonandon Wed 12-Dec-18 20:46:40

Agree with good hair. Thick, expensive blonde and styled. Also, some people just have 'it' and it's very hard to put your finger on what 'it' is. I look like I've been dragged through a bush regardless of how hard I try. Great skin, great hair and being slim helps though.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Wed 12-Dec-18 20:46:42

It's definetly the hair. Any age it's the hair. Nicely styled and clean looking. No flyaways or frizzy bits.

richierichardsaunt Wed 12-Dec-18 20:49:42

My incredibly glam neighbour, in her 90s, always wears colour.
Bright scarf, slick of lippy and always run a comb through your hair.
If you wear drab, you'll be drab.

HSarah Wed 12-Dec-18 20:54:11

I admire glam older women. I think the main factor is expensive highlights and a good haircut and blow dry.

After that it's an expensive coat, bag and shoes.

Eyebrow and eyelash tinting. Probably a manicure.

Generally they're quite slim.

Some classic pieces of jewellery.

I need to overhaul my entire look

OrcinusOrca Wed 12-Dec-18 20:58:51

I agree re hair. Some styles suit some people so much more. I have mine cut to just above my shoulders with a side fringe and I curl it then brush the curls out with a wide toothed comb so they're a bit looser. First time I've had such short hair as an adult but I love it. I think lipstick helps too.

My nana always looked glam. Always had her eyebrows and lippy done and not a hair out of place.

ja9r Wed 12-Dec-18 20:59:54

Yy to nails done...
not sure agree with wearing colour... have seen glam all in black or black and grey.

ja9r Wed 12-Dec-18 21:07:56

Need to investigate lippy further. Think I need one that lasts longer... and need to buy two at a time so can have one in handbag. What's the colour match thing that was spoken of re nude lippy?

theredjellybean Wed 12-Dec-18 21:15:24

Get a really good haircut, with colour or high/low lights. Have it done every 4-5weeks.
Invest in really top quality shampoo and conditioner and use the products the hairdresser does.. And a really good hairdryer.
Nails done every three weeks with shellac. Either classic red or a nude beigy colour.
Well fitted clothes, stick to styles that suit you and your figure and don't be too swayed by trends.
Polish shoes regularly, care for your clothes, padded hangers, fold and hang every night, no leaving clothes lying around.
Discrete make up,
Keep shoes and handbags stuffed with paper when not in use.

Exercise, eat healthily, keep a healthy weight but not too thin.

It is about routine and commitment to it.

I went from frumpy very overweight dishelved 39 Yr old who owned make up 15yrz old to a slim toned glamourous and attractive 41 Yr old... By putting in effort and time and believing I was worth the investment.

I am now a classicaly attractive glamourous 50+...

ja9r Wed 12-Dec-18 21:22:26

Yes! @theredjellybean

Thank you for joining us!!

I agree that hi lighted hair looks fab... but what if I'm keen to become one of those silver fox types. How do I do that? They're def glam...

Tryingtogetitright Wed 12-Dec-18 22:13:07

I had my lipstick colour match thing done in Boots, they use a little electric gadget to scan your skin and recommend you colours in the no7 range... weird but it worked for me!

Loving everyone elses advice. Think it's hard to be glam when you have small children and there's no time or energy to invest in grooming. Hoping I'll blossom in my 40s when my DC are bigger (almost 39 with a 4yo not yet at school and a 20month old).

user1457017537 Wed 12-Dec-18 22:20:20

I have a very glamourous freind. The secret is spending £££s on yourself. She’s really lovely, kind, warm and generous but she can really spend! My DH says she always looks like she is going to a wedding even if she just pops to the shops. It’s not just hair and beauty though, she’s glamourous in all aspects of her life. I love her

FlamingJuno Wed 12-Dec-18 22:31:51

I met a very glam woman at a meeting a couple of weeks ago. She'd be in her late forties I'd say, possibly older. She was very fat, but beautifully made up, great hair, expensive well-fitting clothes, nice handbag. She looked like she spent time and money on herself.

OhioOhioOhio Wed 12-Dec-18 22:42:56

Eyebrows is a good start

MoltonSilver Wed 12-Dec-18 22:44:46

Posture.

AhoyDelBoy Wed 12-Dec-18 22:45:42

Stating the obvious here - I guess it depends on your version of ‘glamorous’.
I saw an older woman at Aldi yesterday. She had bleach blonde hair, heavy poorly applied makeup, many thick gold chain necklaces and a cheap looking printed dress. I’ve no doubt she thought she looked glamorous AF though 🤷🏼‍♀️

For me personally the older women who look glamorous are the ones that
- Have styled hair: no major regrow, no home dye jobs and no colours too far away from natural (think Carole Middleton with blonde hair confused).
- Understated jewellery unless your personality and look goes with statement type stuff. Otherwise it look tacky imo.
- Clothes: natural fabrics, unfortunately cheap clothes look cheap. Invest in better quality, is worth it.
- Shoes: I can always tell when someone is wearing cheap shoes (same goes for sunglasses). Best to stick with quality that’s versatile imo. Unless of course you’re loaded and can afford different shoes for every outfit.

Those are just a few I suppose. Information gleaned from my own personal observations and reading the old how to look expensive threads on here (where nobody agrees what expensive looks like grin)

DeadBod Wed 12-Dec-18 22:49:40

I agree with a pp, some people are just glam. Even at the gym when we're all wearing basically the same clothes, some people just have that glam look about them. Sadly, I'm not one of them.
Having my nails done with shellac does make me feel a little more "done".

SnowyPaws5 Wed 12-Dec-18 23:07:36

Eyebrows, lips and nails!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »