Talk

Advanced search

Royal style & gossip: more gowns, less frowns

(994 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Thu 06-Dec-18 07:30:59

Link to previous thread.

And once again, let's keep this good-spirited. Spiteful comments are about as welcome as Fergie at Prince Philip's birthday party!

Wetdogloveshubert Thu 06-Dec-18 07:45:06

Stopping in to say how much I've loved these threads; I've learned so much, and enjoyed the analytical approach to the recent gossip from the rags.

For what it's worth I loved Catherine's tartan look, and the suit trousers other than that dreadful bum shot! The princess gown this week was gorgeous, but she does seem to suit bolder colours.

More modernity please, just not too much!

IPromiseIWontBeNaughty Thu 06-Dec-18 08:01:25

Thank you for the new thread Queen

DontCallMeCharlotte Thu 06-Dec-18 08:03:43

<Curtseys>

mathanxiety Thu 06-Dec-18 08:10:10

Pulling up a pew...

Quantumblue Thu 06-Dec-18 08:11:18

Checking in

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Thu 06-Dec-18 08:23:42

<dusts off the tiara>

Looking forward to Christmassy Royals...

GrumbleBumble Thu 06-Dec-18 08:26:51

Morning all

Alwayscheerful Thu 06-Dec-18 08:46:31

Thank you for the new thread.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 06-Dec-18 08:55:22

Good morning! smile

TracyBeakerSoChristmas Thu 06-Dec-18 08:56:01

Checking in & thanks for the new thread.
I think this topic has got firmly rooted into my brain as last night I was dreaming of the DoC!
I was at Kensington Palace delivering a parcel that I had taken in for them & Kate (in a bright yellow dress) invited me in to look at her garden as she planted some new trees herself. I complemented her on her swishy hair & asked her if she had a resident hairdresser. Kate said no I mainly do it myself but sometimes my housemaid or Granny Queen helps.
Wtf does that mean?

MrFMercury Thu 06-Dec-18 09:24:54

I've really enjoyed the discussions about the 'feud ' too because It is so thoughtful and really interesting to read.
TracyBeakerSoChristmas maybe you want to be her hairdresser?! grin

CrookedMe Thu 06-Dec-18 09:34:15

Here we all are grin

Nothing to report, just checking in.

TracyBeakerSoChristmas Thu 06-Dec-18 09:36:13

grin MrFMercury

UrsulaPandress Thu 06-Dec-18 09:37:29

Reporting for duty.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 06-Dec-18 09:46:28

@MrFMercury Yes we've managed to keep it quite civilised on this thread. The other threads on "the feud" all got deleted as they got out of hand once the conspiracy theorists descended!

PawneeParksDept Thu 06-Dec-18 09:49:22

Arriving late to the party

I read this morning there's a Neo Nazi plot to shoot Prince Harry which I find a bit odd - I mean why?

MrFMercury Thu 06-Dec-18 09:51:00

QueenOfTheAndals yes I saw and I do think the messages the RF want to send does include their style choices so it's really interesting bringing it altogether. Also I have hair and style envy at least 5 times a day now thanks to these threads smile

YearOfYouRemember Thu 06-Dec-18 10:05:10

shock Pawnee. Though I'm surprised you're confused by it.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 06-Dec-18 10:20:05

Bloody hell! (BBC link so safe to click on.)

I know the why of course. I assumed it was just a bunch of students mouthing off but that particular group have killed a teen in the US.

itswinetime Thu 06-Dec-18 10:20:58

This is why they royals should all have Instagram the whole feud can be shot down with a like on a photo.
Eugenie shuts down and issues

PawneeParksDept Thu 06-Dec-18 10:26:43

Oh DUH I didn't read the article and just saw the headline, now I get it.
I thought it unlikely because :

1) Served in the forces

2) Generally considered A LAD

3) infamously dressed up as a Nazi that time

But yes of course it makes sense now, I didn't even think of it

Boris Becker suffered similarly IIRC

Puzzledandpissedoff Thu 06-Dec-18 10:30:15

Placemarking for later ... love the new title!! grin

FATEdestiny Thu 06-Dec-18 10:39:57

Thanks for the new thread

AhoyDelBoy Thu 06-Dec-18 10:49:32

Nice to have had a few days of seeing Kate out and about! Loved the tartan look. Loved the gown. Not so keen on the trouser look despite agreeing wholeheartedly with Curly when she suggested a tailored, high waisted trouser (maybe Kate is reading shock). I did like the trousers themselves just not the look as a whole.

AhoyDelBoy Thu 06-Dec-18 10:55:27

I have to respectfully disagree with whoever called PC a silver fox fshock

BettyBoo I’m guessing the bikini shots were pre-babies? She’s probably suffering ‘Mum bum’. I remember after I had my DD I was looking into this phenomenon. I was very confused as to why my bottom was so flat all of a sudden confused. The pelvis tilts forward during pregnancy to compensate for the bump and only being 7 mo postpartum she probably hasn’t realigned properly yet. I can’t belive she is only 7 mo PP!

pisspawpatrol Thu 06-Dec-18 10:57:53

I didn't get chance to comment on the last thread, but that photo of Kate and Charlotte at the theatre looks to me like Charlotte is wearing a party dress. I bet she insisted on dressing up and Kate just went with it to avoid the screaming ab-dabs.

Really loving Kate's outfits from the last few days too. She looked lovely in the evening dress in particular. I think the silvery grey really suited her well. I know what people mean about bolder colours but I think this one was a vast improvement on the state banquet and the Lover's Knot didn't actually look out of place this time. As for the trouser and blazer combo! Fabulous, she looked so business like. Is it the first time she has attended that type of event in trousers?

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 06-Dec-18 11:16:26

I agree re Charlotte, and when you're chauffeured to and from the theatre then there's not much chance of her getting cold anyway!

CrookedMe Thu 06-Dec-18 11:20:57

Apart from when they nipped into a random pub to use the loo, according to <whisper> the DM.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 11:29:17

Fab new thread, thanks @Queen. We must be into double figures by now. And no deletions apart from a few random spam promos.

I just have to comment on the Silver Fox quote. PC no, King Felipe - totally. But a Grand Duke Henri, not sure which pp said it but can’t get Nigel Farage out of my head now!

RosinaAlmaviva Thu 06-Dec-18 11:53:26

Copying Kate today in black boots, a red plaid circle skirt and this black sweater.

The magazine covers in M&S made interesting reading. Hello is gushing about Kate's joy over Baby Sussex while Grazia is going with the feud angle.

BTW, as I mentioned on a previous thread, I met Charles briefly a few years back, and he is a total silver fox! Very charismatic in person. grin

beanaseireann Thu 06-Dec-18 12:26:46

Thank you Queen

AhoyDelBoy Thu 06-Dec-18 12:31:49

Right folks, I hope this works (and apologies if it doesn’t) Links to ALL the threads for those interested..
RS&G: Kate, Meghan, Bea, Euj, Maxima, Mary, Letizia, Victoria
RS&G: Thread 2
RS&G: Thread 3

RS&G: Kate’s back, Euj gets hitched, Megs heads Down Under!

RS&G: The Sussexes Down Under; Meghan is glowing
RS&G: Monochrome Megs, colourful Kate, the whacky hats of Max
Princess Eugenie’s wedding: The sartorial highs and lows. Plus Fergie’s back, bitches!

RS&G: the frocks, the rocks, the shocks

RS&G: Tiaras galore and more!

RS&G: No time to think of a snappy title!
RS&G: What do we want? Frock shots! When do we want them? Now!
RS&G: From maximum Maxima to minimalist Meghan
RS&G: Give us this day our daily tiara

AhoyDelBoy Thu 06-Dec-18 12:32:36

Argh crappy formatting but it worked, phew 😅

AhoyDelBoy Thu 06-Dec-18 12:34:00

We’re up to thread 14! 👏🏻 Queen for starting such a popular thread.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 12:40:11

Wow @AhoyDelBoy well done on getting all those links up and running.
We will have to link back to this thread to find them all.
I can’t believe it’s 14 threads already!

BlingLoving Thu 06-Dec-18 12:42:09

Just place marking for later!

Laiste Thu 06-Dec-18 12:42:18

TracyBeakerSoChristmas so did I! Dream of DoC that is. It was one of those dreams where you're dreaming of someone and sometimes you're watching them and sometimes you are them iykwim? I felt slim and lovely as the DoC drifting about in this big house and you know what, upon awakening it inspired me to get back on the diet. (i was doing well but ran out of motivation) I've already turned down cake today!

This thread works in mysterious ways ... grin
<as you all were>

AhoyDelBoy Thu 06-Dec-18 13:05:14

I was up to date with the thread and sick of AIBU grin I’m just glad it’s not a jumbled mess crown

katekat383 Thu 06-Dec-18 13:06:47

Spiteful comments are about as welcome as Fergie at Prince Philip's birthday party!

Is that not a spiteful OP?

Lelivre Thu 06-Dec-18 13:42:01

I’m one of your lurkers and unlikely to post again but want to say please keep this all up. Such a welcome distraction!

Seeing as I’m here...I love almost everything MM wears tends to be my colours and I’m a similar build, its fashionable in a pared down modest way that’s the only reason why I started viewing your threads, I didn’t expect all the fun!

Kate looks great and she is so classy but I would love her to be a bit more current.

MM is so much more interesting but imagine having a SIL that perfect, so so slim with such fabulous hair, very poised and never puts a foot wrong. How annoying!!!

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 06-Dec-18 14:02:08

CPV has got herself a Meghan green dress, although I prefer it without the belt. And definitely not over the trousers - that's a look only seen on Trinny Woodall these days!

TheDistantSky Thu 06-Dec-18 14:08:57

I did love Kate's outfit yesterday. Smart and professional without looking about 20 years older than she is.

Wish the 'feud' would stop being reported and commented on. Everything DoS does is portrayed in a bad way, it must be so stressful.

Spudlet Thu 06-Dec-18 14:15:00

Bloody hell, just read that BBC story about the drooling Nazis. Yeep.

I love that Charlotte got all dressed up for her special trip to the theatre, she's clearly her mother's daughter (and great-grandma's great-granddaughter too). Bit naughty / thoughtless of someone to post a pic to social media though.

itswinetime Thu 06-Dec-18 14:16:55

Afternoon coffee and a royal round up from Instagram. For the brits a second photo of Meghan yesterday still not showing much. I think she is hiding her bump maybe so it's harder to guess when she is due.

The Wessexs are out on the job today to lovely colour on Sophie I think.

And in Spain they are out too love the red on Letizia but not keen on the girls dresses/capes

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 14:25:18

Reindeer invited to Clarence House by Camilla She rocks!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 14:28:30

I couldn’t see the Spanish Princesses that clearly in the instagram post.
I think the capes look fine. Maybe it’s a Spanish aristo thing.
Letizia always looks fab in red.

Prince Edward in the headscarf. There are no words.

itswinetime Thu 06-Dec-18 14:29:42

Camillia being such a grandma there watching the antlers to make sure the little girl isn't knocked out. Love it! Great clip Curly

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 14:30:40

Beautiful birthday portrait of Sofia of Sweden. 34 today.
(Another one with gorgeous hair)

itswinetime Thu 06-Dec-18 14:35:44

Mary out and about today not a fan of this look

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 14:36:48

I thought I posted this before. However here is the fiiiine looking hottie Prince Haakon and the lovely Mette Marit in Erdem.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 14:38:51

Ooh I really like CP Mary’s outfit especially with the little pillbox hat. She looks very Jackie Kennedy. Where’s she off to @itswinetime? Looks like a posh do!

TracyBeakerSoChristmas Thu 06-Dec-18 14:38:59

Laiste this thread does work in mysterious ways...........it ate your cake for you 🤣

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 14:41:38

I’m going to repost this photo of Meghan @itswinetime
You can see her a bit better and I think she looks beautiful.
Hair and especially makeup are flawless.
Did we ever find out anything about her make up brands/ colours?

TracyBeakerSoChristmas Thu 06-Dec-18 14:46:40

Glamour magazine online recently had this article: www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/gallery/meghan-markle-makeup-and-beauty-routine

itswinetime Thu 06-Dec-18 14:46:56

@CurlyWurlyTwirly. Mary is off for a royal visit in Latvia not sure if details. I think maybe it's the colour I don't like not sure there is just something i don't like about it.

Agree re Meghan think she's looking really good in those pictures I don't think I have ever heard anything about what brands she uses which is surprising maybe it's time for some research 🤔

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 06-Dec-18 14:56:36

Fortunately I'm sure you can find out what Meghan uses as she's bound to have mentioned it in a past interview or featured it in The Tig.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 06-Dec-18 14:57:43

I was going to say that's probably a highlighter by Becca and according to the Glamour article it is! Their highlighters are hard to beat.

ElspethFlashman Thu 06-Dec-18 15:02:20

That coat is too boxy for CP Mary. She has a phenomenal healthy figure, but it is a rectangle, and she looks better in flowier sillouettes.

Meghan is very pretty but those 2 very carefully released photos are a bit staged looking - the pen in hand in both! The Serious Student! I would prefer a more relaxed looking bit of PR.

Incidentally does anyone here follow So Many Thoughts on Instagram? It's a Royal fashion account - this American journo who is obsessed with royal style and every day she posts her "So Many Thoughts" on their current outfit. I absolutely love it. And in her highlights section is all her old stories from the Oz tour etc. She's really enthusiastic and very balanced between them. The only thing is that she only does the UK royals as she has a full time job and hasn't room for the others, but hopefully that'll change!

AdaColeman Thu 06-Dec-18 15:16:09

Aww, lovely shots of Camilla and the little girl with the reindeer!
Thanks Curly!

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 06-Dec-18 15:20:10

@ElspethFlashman Can you post the link for that IG account? There's several with the same name!

ElspethFlashman Thu 06-Dec-18 15:27:52

Ah I'm such an idiot, I've only just realised it's under her own name! She's @eholmes.

Sorry! It seems So Many Thoughts is just a thing she does in her own account and not some official royal account. Its GREAT though.

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Thu 06-Dec-18 15:29:39

Not heard of mum bum Ahoy but yes you are right the photos were pre children so that could explain it.

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Thu 06-Dec-18 15:30:35

That photo of Meghan Curly posted is lovely, she really is beautiful.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 06-Dec-18 15:31:45

Yes, and the photos in that Glamour article also show that her face really is her best accessory.

IdaBWells Thu 06-Dec-18 15:54:55

Thank you for another thread Queen.

Want2bSupermum Thu 06-Dec-18 16:38:14

Hello!

Catherine Walker came back to me and they get lots of work this time of year so told me it's a bit of a wait, absolutely fine with me. They asked for what I was looking for so I called them to talk through what I needed and my slot went from July/August to March. Hopefully I'll have everything finished for September.

Want2bSupermum Thu 06-Dec-18 16:43:12

Oh and mum bum is very real. My tushi is much flatter than it was pre children. I was told it can be fixed with Pilates....hasn't fixed mine yet.

I did pretty much get rid of my mummy tummy with Pilates so I'm holding out and hoping it eventually works.

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Thu 06-Dec-18 17:12:32

Every day’s a school day on this thread!

queenofarles Thu 06-Dec-18 17:17:42

I didn't get the chance to comment on the other thread, I'm not a fan of DoC Cyprus look, too conference attire imp, and the top reminds me of those awful 90s bodysuits , I much loved the skirt look.

Maybe it's just me but I think DoS is further a long than 5-6 months, which explains the sitting down pics of late. Also read she might favor a home delivery? Yes it's from Hello!. So maybe it's not true,

queenofarles Thu 06-Dec-18 17:20:44

Some of HM and princess Margraret's childhood clothes are being auctioned
I can totally see Charlotte in this dress DoC should totally buy it!!

Horsemad Thu 06-Dec-18 17:28:37

Love the reindeer video 🙂 Camilla was lovely, making sure the little girl didn't get headbutted by the reindeer!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 18:22:21

Max on a visit. Looks like the ladies WhatsApped each other and said “wear your brightest outfits so we don’t fade into the background!”

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 18:26:02

Prince Harry going to Bat out of Hell musical on behalf of Invictus

AdaColeman Thu 06-Dec-18 18:34:17

It's playing squash that gets you that rounded derrière, all that running backwards!

YearOfYouRemember Thu 06-Dec-18 18:34:26

It is such a shame when a lovely thread like this one is spoilt by unnecessary and no added value critical posts are made.

I think Meghan is more pregnant than thought or expecting twins. I hope she's well.

WindyWednesday Thu 06-Dec-18 18:40:57

I agree MM further into pregnancy than supposed.

Lovely story (non story) about Catherine and Charlotte nipping to loo in random pub.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 18:47:16

How pregnant is Meghan. 5 months?
She’ll just show more because she’s got a short body. She’s only been recently photographed with carefully placed cars and tables.
I don’t think we’ll see that much of her till Christmas Day and the church shot.
It may well be that she didn’t want to be hassled by loads of press. A few carefully released photos is the best way to go.

itswinetime Thu 06-Dec-18 18:54:12

Can't blame Meghan for avoiding the press at the moment plus if she had announced and made a big deal out of it the rumours would be on overdrive that she was stealing Kate's thunder! Also if the bump Is out everyone will be talking about that not the cause she is there to highlight!

RiverTam Thu 06-Dec-18 19:06:14

Late to the party but I love Kate’s tartan skirt!

Haworthia Thu 06-Dec-18 19:06:25

Camilla’s Clarence House children’s party looks adorable. What a lovely gesture.

TipseyTorvey Thu 06-Dec-18 19:12:16

Placemarking whilst putting DC to bed back later!

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Thu 06-Dec-18 19:20:40

Glad someone reposted the pic of Meghan that @itswinetime posted earlier. She is quite breathtakingly beautiful in it.

UrsulaPandress Thu 06-Dec-18 19:25:10

Missed Kate taking Charlotte to a pub. Linky?

Spudlet Thu 06-Dec-18 19:30:47

Megan is glowing - she looks lovely. I can't blame her for keeping her head down a bit as well, I hope she isn't feeling too battered by it all and getting a bit of rest.

Max ❤️ ❤️ And also, who was the lady in blue? Love that look as well!

WindyWednesday Thu 06-Dec-18 19:36:35

I can’t do links, but it was on the sun earlier today. Dodgy looking pub too.

Spudlet Thu 06-Dec-18 19:36:40

Read this about Royal births earlier

www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/g19724335/royal-births-history/

So if, as a pp mentioned, Megan does go for a home birth, she'll be actually going v traditional (anyone want to open a book on the likelihood of bitchy columns about her hippy American ways if she does though...?)

Also - does that mean that HM had a C section in her bedroom, or did they have an operating theatre set up just in case?!

Clionba Thu 06-Dec-18 19:39:57

There is an operating theatre in BP, that's where HM had her C sections

Spudlet Thu 06-Dec-18 19:45:01

Well, I did not know that. Every day a school day!

Spudlet Thu 06-Dec-18 20:00:38

blog.sciencemuseum.org.uk/surgery-behind-the-scenes-at-buckingham-palace/

Paradyning Thu 06-Dec-18 20:07:17

Camilla looks great in that outfit. She has a very trendy back zip down the back of her jacket too!

Leti looks incredible in red. And Max. Well just love her.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 06-Dec-18 20:08:11

I didn't know HM had a C for Charles. Mind you, all I'm going on is what was shown in The Crown - that she was knocked out for Andrew's birth but the DoE was there for Edward's. That at least corresponds with what the article says.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 20:08:13

Wow didn’t know the Queen had a c-section.
I think Kate wanted to have Louis at KP, given her easy prior births, it seems understandable. 20 people at the birth of George. A bit like old fashioned royal births with loads of witnesses.

Clionba Thu 06-Dec-18 20:11:26

The medical team weren't allowed to drink alcohol or go out for weeks before Kate's due date, they were on call.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 20:12:23

school age child crawling away from the queen grin

Spudlet Thu 06-Dec-18 20:12:39

Being knocked out at the point of delivery was very much the done thing at that time, I believe. There are some nasty stories of women being left traumatised by it. sad

Interesting that the article mentioned HM insisting the the DoE was there for Edward - bit of a change from Charles' birth, when he was taken off to play squash to distract him from corridor pacing!

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 06-Dec-18 20:14:43

It is such a shame when a lovely thread like this one is spoilt by unnecessary and no added value critical posts are made.

@YearOfYouRemember Really? I can see comments critiquing the clothes but not the women.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 06-Dec-18 20:16:50

Prince Harry in the interval at the theatre

Harry gets a standing ovation

TracyBeakerSoChristmas Thu 06-Dec-18 20:19:02

The Queen Mother delivered HM by caesarean too in 1926.

Clionba Thu 06-Dec-18 20:24:25

I just knew Kate would have her three with no pain relief. As if emerging 20 mins later looking fabulous wasn't bad enough confused! I looked like I'd recently been dragged from an earthquake zone. I still have a mum tum and my youngest is 23.sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »