Talk

Advanced search

Celebrity Style & Gossip

(743 Posts)
CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 21:56:33

Following on the success of the long running Royal Style & Gossip threads, I am starting a companion thread, for us to still chat about frocks and indulge in a bit of non spiteful gossip. In the spirit of the other naice threads, please keep this fluffy too.

To kick off, please let us admire Richard Madden of the Bodyguard channeling 007 on the cover of GQ

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 22:03:00

VB out & about in New York.
I love the pants and the colour blocking on the sweater, but am really over the too long sleeves and she needs a belt to finish off the look, as those belt loops look too empty.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 30-Nov-18 22:06:52

VB is super stylish now but remember the days when she bounded across the stage looking like Cliff Richard?

Clionba Fri 30-Nov-18 22:10:57

Hi CurlyWurlyTwirly! Thanks for this thread! Laughing at the VB/Cliff comparison!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 22:14:32

Holy Sh*t @Queen I looked at the picture first and did think it was Cliff Richard!
Thanks for joining me @Queen and @Clionba; stalwarts of Royal S&B!

AhoyDelBoy Fri 30-Nov-18 22:14:34

Waves to Curly, Queen, & Clionba smile

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 22:16:18

Loving this vintagey look of Rosamund Pike in Town & Country magazine

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 22:17:09

hello @AhoyDelBoy
Had your coffee yet? wink

Hullabalooo Fri 30-Nov-18 22:20:53

Why did Joe whatsit leave Rosamund Pike days before that got married?

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 22:21:07

Gwyneth Paltrow in Dior at the Guggenheim.
Sunray pleated maxi Dress: yay!
Ombre cape: meh

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 30-Nov-18 22:23:09

Good question @Hullabaloo. They've both gone on to marry other people and have children since though. I think he's married to Ravi Shankar's daughter. Poor Rosamund was a bit unlucky in love for a while - I think her boyfriend before Joe came out as gay shortly after they broke up.

CrookedMe Fri 30-Nov-18 22:23:15

Why is Gwynners dressed like a pine wardrobe??

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Fri 30-Nov-18 22:26:03

Oh my god that picture of Posh! Seperated at birth from Daddy Cliff!

Clionba Fri 30-Nov-18 22:26:35

Waves!! Hello my stylish friends!
Rosamund Pike has that timeless elegance. Natalie Portman is another.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 22:31:04

Here’s an homage to the Mustard One, who inspired this new thread.
But kudos to Amal Clooney in Stella McCartney at her own wedding in Venice.

TracyBeakerSoYeah Fri 30-Nov-18 22:32:45

This is when VB was playing at the Party in the Park in Leicester. 2001. Coldplay were also there, before they got really big. I remember thinking how tiny Kylie was.
I agree with you Queen that Victoria has definitely found her style now & always looks great.

AhoyDelBoy Fri 30-Nov-18 22:40:19

Yes, I’ve had a couple already ☕️
Interested to join this thread too smile
Gosh Posh used to get it so, so wrong didn’t she. They were all pretty ‘Scary Spice’ really shock. Yeh is very chic now though.

AhoyDelBoy Fri 30-Nov-18 22:41:38

I bet she positively cringes at those photos now. Was it Posh and Becks who did couples double denim once? Or Gwyn and Brad? I’ll have to look that up.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 30-Nov-18 22:44:21

Here's a little reminder about how VB used to dress. And here's some bonus Becks!

Clionba Fri 30-Nov-18 22:44:39

If I wore trousers like Amal, I'd be on my arse. How on earth do you walk in those? Megs has the same trouser situation in Wimbledon.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 22:45:54

Posh & Becks did the matching black leather.

TheDistantSky Fri 30-Nov-18 22:46:05

Found you Curly!

AhoyDelBoy Fri 30-Nov-18 22:47:38

shock that is dire Curly shock

AhoyDelBoy Fri 30-Nov-18 22:48:11

This is what I was remembering grin

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Fri 30-Nov-18 22:48:25

A little homage to my own personal style icon the wonderful SJP

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 30-Nov-18 22:49:14

Can I make a request now that we stick to A-list stars and NEVER EVER discuss any members of that infamous family whose surname starts with K??

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Fri 30-Nov-18 22:49:25

A few more

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 22:49:41

.... wait for this @Ahoydelboy
Britney & Justin did double denim.
It looks like a Halloween costume, but sadly they wore it for the America Music Awards, 15 years ago!

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Fri 30-Nov-18 22:50:48

I agree Queen please A listers only, standards darlings standards!

Butterymuffin Fri 30-Nov-18 22:50:53

Hopping over from the royal thread! Two for the price of one.

Love Amal's outfits. Her wedding ensemble is the modern day version of Bianca Jagger's in my book. Looks so cool.

Have just remembered the final line of Out Of Your Mind was VB's 'This tune's going to punish you'. Ah, back in the day..

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 22:53:11

@BettyBoo, I was just loading up an SJP retrospective.
I know she is a bit marmite but I think she is awesome; she puts combinations together which shouldn’t even work and then puts on fabulous shoes and looks amaaaazing !

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 30-Nov-18 22:53:57

I love SJP - say what you like about her but her outfits are never boring!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 22:54:07

I’ll second that @Queen.
Strictly A list on this thread.

AhoyDelBoy Fri 30-Nov-18 22:57:25

X-Post Curly grin
OMG that link to VBs fashion was hilarious Queen grinshock I actually gasped at a few of the outfits! Oh and you read my mind about the K family. I’d literally Had that thought minutes prior ‘oh I hope this doesn’t go down the K family route’ glad we’re all on the same page! smile

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 22:57:32

I’m with you @ButteryMuffin

Bianca Jagger. Exquisite

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Fri 30-Nov-18 22:58:35

I agree Curly awesome is the right word, she just oozes style and it just seems innate.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 30-Nov-18 23:00:41

Bianca was stunning. I follow Jade Jagger on Instagram and she seems to have a fab life. She is actually a gran but has a little son who's younger than her granddaughter. But then that's normal for the Jaggers - Jade's grandchild is a few years older than Mick's youngest son!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 23:18:29

SJPs shoe line. This one is not terrifying high and I love the sparkle.

She has even brought out high heel wrapping paper

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 30-Nov-18 23:37:25

Emily Blunt Style dans Mary Poppins in Harper’s Bazaar.
I think she has a touch of Kate Winslet about her...

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sat 01-Dec-18 06:38:04

Wow, Emily Blunt is seriously beautiful.

TipseyTorvey Sat 01-Dec-18 06:40:55

What a lovely surprise to wake up to ! Well done for setting up this sister thread Curly. Now I'll never get anything done😂. Off to dig out pictures of Amal now...

AhoyDelBoy Sat 01-Dec-18 06:48:05

Thanks for the link to VBs fashion fails over the years Queen I’ve been chuckling about them all day grin Tipsey were you the Amal fan from RS&B? I’m also a fan.

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sat 01-Dec-18 06:52:53

I love Naomi Watts. So chic.

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sat 01-Dec-18 06:53:37

I want this jumper!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 07:04:06

@Itsnice
love that last Naomi Watts dress. Is it Chanel?
I'm totally into the colour blocking. That jumper is not too ott

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 07:04:50

You're welcome @TipseyTorvey.
Amal away!

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sat 01-Dec-18 07:12:15

It's Dior! But very Chanel-ish, I agree.

Roystonv Sat 01-Dec-18 07:18:26

Love Emily Blunt and beautiful clothes and styling on that shoot.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 01-Dec-18 07:26:47

Cate Blanchett is one of my style icons. Always looks fabulous and gets away with outfits others couldn't.

And let's not forget Nicole Kidman, although I wish she'd go back to darker red hair and lay off the Botox.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 01-Dec-18 07:53:17

@CurlyWurlyTwirly I think Emily was touted as the new Kate Winslet when she first emerged on the screen. I'm guessing Florence Pugh is going to be the next "new Kate". And Kate herself isn't even that old - only early forties but she's been around for about 25 years!

cantfocus1 Sat 01-Dec-18 08:33:29

VB has improved a lot but I still think lots of her outfits will look dated when you look back. I just her very try hard & contrived, she never looks effortless plus she needs to stop with the long trousers.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 08:54:18

Priyanka Chopra is getting married this weekend. I can't really see her & Nick Jonas together. However in the Vogue article they seem besotted.
There should be some amazing guest photos.
I really wish she had worn a sari to Meghan's wedding.

FATEdestiny Sat 01-Dec-18 08:55:29

That matching outfit of the Bechams is hilarious! Reminds me of the Wiil Smith family matchy matchy outfits.

cantfocus1 Sat 01-Dec-18 08:58:23

My ultimate is Kate Moss & I think many of her looks are timeless. I love that she repeats things & doesn’t look like she spends hours planning her outfits. She just has style & doesn’t wear what’s “fashion” plus she looks comfortable & normal if that makes sense.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 01-Dec-18 09:05:20

I love Kate Moss, she seems like great fun. And she and Naomi Campbell are the only models I believe when they say they don't diet or exercise.

I suspect Kate also inspires white-hot jealousy in other slebs for still looking fantastic despite having smoked and drunk her way through the past 30 years!

cantfocus1 Sat 01-Dec-18 09:08:52

QueenOfTheAndals She must be great fun & I like that she has had the same friends for years.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 09:34:05

The Mossy Posse is very loyal

JasmineMcCarth Sat 01-Dec-18 09:35:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Clionba Sat 01-Dec-18 09:37:34

Well, my stylish friends, this is where we part ways because I think Kate Moss looks a mess! This is a woman who is a multimillionaire and has access to the best clothes, and yet looks like she's crashed through Oxfam's front window while tanked up. prepares to be flamed gringrin

Clionba Sat 01-Dec-18 09:41:29

@QueenOfTheAndals - *"they don't diet or exercise *"...... "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" (Kate Moss).
We are definitely royal soul mates, Queen, but I'm not a fan of La Moss wink

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 09:44:50

Thing is @Clionba, I think she could crash through an Oxfam window and still pick out the best look and make it work for her. That is the magic of Kate Moss!

Clionba Sat 01-Dec-18 09:47:56

Ha ha Curly! We'll just have to disagree! I prefer Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly.
I'm also put off because a very lovely close friend had to deal with Moss in a professional capacity, and said that she was one of the rudest, most entitled people she'd met! No elegance in ugly manners and foul language.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 01-Dec-18 09:48:30

@Clionba I think she said that as a joke, I can imagine her sneaking a kebab on her way home from a night out!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 09:48:45

I thought her 'wedding photos were ethereal. Shot by Testino; they were works of art. Only ruined by Jamie Hince's hideous blue suit

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 01-Dec-18 09:50:46

I love Audrey and Grace too but I also have a sneaky admiration for less kempt celebrities. Marianne Faithful I think was gorgeous in her youth and although the excesses have caught up with her to a certain extent, she's still a very charismatic performer. And that husky voice!

Disappointing to hear Kate is a diva though. I always thought she'd be more down to earth.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 09:51:27

I'm not entirely surprised that Kate Moss can be rude. I have heard similar stories about Naomi Campbell. Although her temper is legendary.
The most questionable thing about Kate is her taste in men.!

beanaseireann Sat 01-Dec-18 10:00:01

Thank you Curly for this new thread.
The first few pictures of Victoria B you posted and Inwas thinking I actually like some of those so I must have no taste.
Phew - I realised they were the 'after' pictures as the 'before' photos followed. 

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 10:05:15

@beanaseireann

Posh spent many years as a fashion victim.
Its basically only since Roland Mouret started designing her entire label.and she is dressed head to toe in effectively Mouret that she has been stylish.

cantfocus1 Sat 01-Dec-18 10:30:22

I’ve met KM as well through work & have friends who worked directly with her. Always pleasant & very down to earth, went to M&S to buy her own wine. I personally don’t think she would be in such demand if she was a nightmare to work with. Also the skinny quote was a joke & she retracted it anyway.

GimbleInTheWabe Sat 01-Dec-18 10:33:40

Uh thanks for the KM wedding photos link @CurlyWurlyTwirly (and for the thread! Don't follow the royal one but this is well up my street) her wedding looked fucking amazing. The dress code was obviously 'wear whatever you like and ladies feel free to wear white'. The guests all look chic too.

What're we thinking about Holly Willoughbys celeb outfits? Hit and miss imo but she did inspire me to buy big clompy boots which I'm loving! She made the Grenson Nanettes sell out!

cantfocus1 Sat 01-Dec-18 10:34:09

VB came into a shop i worked in on Bond St with David (90s). She was very standoffish, he was nice & handsome. I think she’s just very insecure.

cantfocus1 Sat 01-Dec-18 10:37:02

Not sure about HWs style, it’s not very me. I think it’s a bit mum trying to be trendy. Some celeb looks were nice , red dress but others things a little fussy, those cowboy boots 🤢

cantfocus1 Sat 01-Dec-18 10:39:19

The grenson boots are lovely.

GimbleInTheWabe Sat 01-Dec-18 10:39:50

Yes really didn't like the cowboy boots or the Chinese style dress, or the big pouffy sleeves blouse either @cantfocus1. Love the red dress though and I'm such a sucker for summer dresses like the one I posted (anyone remember the Kate moss line of summer dresses for topshop? They were awesome!) I'm a bit 'mum trying to be trendy' myself though ha blush currently in an ex-boyfriends t shirt and grotty tracksuit bottoms though grin

cantfocus1 Sat 01-Dec-18 10:45:27

i’m clearly biased but i have lots of the KM Topshop range & the dresses & jackets are my favourites. Can’t fit in to some but I’ve had so much wear out of them & will wear them for years.

The brief for HW’s stylist seems to be feminine jungle wear & some of the juxtapositions aren’t right like the chinese dress.

cantfocus1 Sat 01-Dec-18 10:51:40

I love Lupita Nyong’o red carpet looks especially when she does colour.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 11:27:41

Lupita Nyong’o is awesome, she is so beautiful and against her lovely skin she can wear any colour of the rainbow and look stunning.
The only colours I dont like her in are pastels.
I also want to know where she buys her eye make up from as they have such deep pigments, they pop!

VictoriaLinton Sat 01-Dec-18 11:30:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 01-Dec-18 12:16:10

Lupita (not Lusitania, TYVM autocorrect!) is probably the most exciting young actress out there in terms of style. She can make almost anything look good!

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 01-Dec-18 12:17:23

A friend of a friend does Lupita's hair and they're always on Instagram together.

GimbleInTheWabe Sat 01-Dec-18 13:02:34

I agree Lupita has a fab styling team. I don't know why, but red carpet style has never got me that excited. I think I prefer street style tbh because I can try to copy/re-create.
I would love to go all out on a red carpet though, would be so fun.

In fact I have been on a red carpet once - with sienna miller no less! She was tiny but really gorgeous and had a lovely sequinned white floaty dress on. DP has a customer who was in the film biz and gave him two tickets for a premiere!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 13:14:15

Emily Blunt looks a bit Disney Princess rather than Mary Poppins

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 01-Dec-18 14:08:16

@GimbleInTheWabe I think most Hollywood actresses are tiny. I remember seeing Rachel Weisz in a play and she was so so slim. Gorgeous though, possibly even more beautiful than she looks on screen. Didn't she have a baby recently?

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 21:37:08

Priyanka Chopra got married. That is one vivid outfit!

FATEdestiny Sat 01-Dec-18 21:40:03

Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas shared photos of their pre-wedding celebration

FATEdestiny Sat 01-Dec-18 21:40:26

Oh, snap smile

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 21:49:49

I know Elizabeth Hurley is long since divorced, but she had 2 spectacular wedding ceremonies to Arun Nayer. Her Indian ceremony was like a Bollywood Film.
The girl certainly knows how to put on a show

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 01-Dec-18 21:54:24

And our Liz wore Versace to her English ceremony.

StellaRockafella Sat 01-Dec-18 22:27:18

The thing with VB is that her trousers are always ridiculously too long, ergo she's not truly stylish or chic. She tries far too hard. Granted she looks so much better these days, but them who wouldn't wearing clothes that have essentially been designed/made for them.

I also don't like the dreadful hat Amal wore on her wedding day. The outfit would have been far more stylish without it.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 01-Dec-18 22:38:13

Love Liz Hurley. She is in amazing shape but makes no secret of the fact that it's hard work!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sun 02-Dec-18 03:41:36

VB single handedly bringing back the elf look.
I guess we will be wearing pointy shoes soon.
However that jacket really needs to be at least a size smaller

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Sun 02-Dec-18 03:54:04

And the first thing I see Curly is a horror! Please tell me Posh is not wearing ski pants! God I hate pointed toe shoes, luckily I don’t think VB has that much clout now, I feel she has lost some of her star quality, I used to love clicking on her pictures but now more often than not I don’t bother.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sun 02-Dec-18 03:59:49

Elizabeth Hurley is an age defying 52. Here she is with her son at his 16th. He is incredibly handsome and just the male version of her.
I remember him being a right little handful and he was a big boy for his age. The image of his dad, Steve Bing, at the time.

BettyBooJustDoinTheDoo Sun 02-Dec-18 04:00:03

I love Liz Hurley! She is my generations Joan Collins, both glamorous women who say it how it is and who I find very likeable, here is a pic of Liz looking just fabulous! I know she is not “fashion forward” but you can always rely on her for some old school glamour.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sun 02-Dec-18 04:04:38

Yes, Liz is exactly like Joan. Never fails to be perfectly turned out, but self deprecating wit, which makes her really likeable

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sun 02-Dec-18 04:10:33

More genetically blessed offspring.
I actually think Cindy Crawford’s son Presley is even better looking than his sister Kaia.
As children he was utterly beautiful.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sun 02-Dec-18 04:15:37

I am rather fascinated by the 90s supermodels as they are pretty much my age.
When Supermodels ruled the world in Vogue

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sun 02-Dec-18 04:18:17

I do miss VB displaying her self deprecating humour.
Here she is in A video for Vogue, displaying that wit!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sun 02-Dec-18 04:29:08

Another VB video for Vogue discussing some interesting fashion choices

TipseyTorvey Sun 02-Dec-18 06:33:27

Curly have you been up all night?!or are you in Australia? Anyway I'm also the same age as the supermodels and find them fascinating too. I do think Kate Moss isn't that stylish. I think she models well but looks a bit raggardy for me these days. I will try to find a photo but not sure how to post on mobile yet!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »