Talk

Advanced search

Workwear for Apple shape

(14 Posts)
toastlover Sat 11-Aug-18 19:59:15

I start a new job in a couple of weeks in a smart-ish office.

I've been shopping all day and come home empty handed.

I am really struggling with finding clothes that fit right on me. I am 5ft 3 and a size 10.

My stomach is disproportionately large to the rest of my body. My legs are stumpy and my bum is flat. I'm a sight for sore eyes😂

I feel like I can't wear trousers or skirts as I look shapeless if I don't tuck the top in. If I tuck the top in, I look 6 months pregnant! I can't wear a fitted top as it clings too much to my problem area.

Dresses are a problem as they cling to my stomach too. Swing dresses are a little too casual I think and I feel like I'm back in maternity wear with them.

My 'waist' is positioned kind of straight under my (non existent) bust instead of in the usual waist position.

The office dress code is smart but not suit/blazer smart.

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions as to what I should be looking for 🙏

whattimeislove Sun 12-Aug-18 00:15:32

I know you say your office isn't blazer smart, but I'd probably wear a swing dress with a blazer (to make the dress look smarter.

toastlover Sun 12-Aug-18 22:14:32

Thanks for replying! Is a swing dress the only option then really for Apple shapes?

TigerDroveAgain Sun 12-Aug-18 22:17:55

Shift dresses work for apples and can be very smart. I would look at Cos for work. I am a much bigger apple than you and they are great.

Geordiegirl1988 Sun 12-Aug-18 22:23:15

Baggy tOps make you look bigger

Tinycitrus Sun 12-Aug-18 22:25:29

Shirt and well fitted pencil skirt. Heels.

teta Sun 12-Aug-18 22:26:48

I’m 5ft 3 too but a size 14. My tummy is also much larger than the rest of me .Things I’ve bought recently that work are palazzo pants and a maxi skirt with fold over waist bands from Me & em.Worn with linen t shirts that don’t cling and a Uniqlo cotton mix jersey blazer. M&S have a v necked silk sleeveless top that’s skim beautifully over the stomach in three colours. Look for pull on trousers - m&s have some new check ones with a drawstring waist that can be dressed up with heels. Or H&M have some plain black ones.

toastlover Tue 14-Aug-18 06:12:12

Wow loads of ideas. I would never have thought I could get away with a shift dress but will try some on. Love the idea of a pencil skirt with a looser top (though the idea of heels with my extra wide feet makes me want to cry - that's a whole new other thread)!

Yes baggy tops make you look bigger but I just hate it when people stare at my belly when I took a top in.

I'll take a look at the pull on trousers too. Elasticated waist would be great cos I could size down then so they fit me in the legs.

Some fab ideas, thank you smile

toastlover Tue 14-Aug-18 06:13:24

*tuck, not took blush

toastlover Tue 14-Aug-18 06:18:01

Don't suppose you could link to the trousers and silk top Teta? Or just screenshot?

teta Tue 14-Aug-18 07:31:04

I can screenshot .
The M&S trousers are not good sadly. I ordered and tried them on yesterday They were granny chic and not in a good way.
Try H&M for pull on trousers. There are heavier weight ones in for winter. I have the lighter weight viscose ones in black that I wear with a Uniqlo jersey blazer .

shakeyourcaboose Tue 14-Aug-18 07:39:19

Following as you are my body shape and also 'petite' size for clothes. (Im just bloody short- for some reason use of petite gives me random inappropriate annoyance at times grin ) also struggling with bloody stomach and looking pg in some outfits!!

shakeyourcaboose Tue 14-Aug-18 07:41:30

M and S also do wide fit shoes- l have small but basically square feet- I'm such a glam thing!!

shakeyourcaboose Tue 14-Aug-18 07:43:48

These are great l find. Block or standard heel courts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: