Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

squeaky boots

(8 Posts)
LighthouseSouth Sat 11-Aug-18 13:34:53

hi wise Mners

wonder if anyone can help with this

I have a pair of boots that aren't particularly well worn. My sister bought them and found them too tight fitting, so passed them on to me. She thinks she bought them from a dept store about 2 years ago but doesn't actually know.

I used them about 3 weeks around the Beast of the East time. They are just right for me but they have developed this awful squeak. We've treated them with WD40, spent some time flexing the sole etc but it won't go.

obviously as they have technically been owned for ages, even if a receipt could be found, we can't do anything via the shop.

is there anything I can try to get rid of it? It must be a poorly made pair, as my sis wore them a couple of time before realising she was being a Monica from Friends in that episode (!) and then I've only worn them to walk to the station about 14 times.

any thoughts on how to salvage them? They are very nice and in near perfect condition! Partly leather but I think the squeak is coming from the sole which looks synthetic.

thanks.

rightknockered Sat 11-Aug-18 13:45:42

I don't know, but I have a pair that do this, possibly with a synthetic sole, and have barely worn them. If it helps, I don't think other people notice at all.

LighthouseSouth Sat 11-Aug-18 14:11:59

people have already commented sad

princesstiasmum Sat 11-Aug-18 17:23:22

I know that sometimes people used to rub vaseline on squeaky boots and shoes, but it would be on the top i would think, sorry thats all i can think of

fabulousathome Sat 11-Aug-18 17:35:38

Is the heel or sole slightly loose? Take them to a shoe repairer and ask their advice?

LighthouseSouth Sat 11-Aug-18 18:13:15

Oh I'll try Vaseline

Nothing's loose, that was my first thought
They're nice and also very comfy but there's no way I can be a cat burglar wearing those! My neighbour heard me squeaking down the hall, it's pretty bad. I wince myself walking along the pavement.

If Vaseline doesn't work I'll take them to a shoe repair place. DP was a bit "just buy some new" but they're hardly worn, could get years out of them if the squeak would go.

ilovecherries Sat 11-Aug-18 19:51:16

I don’t know but have a pair of Fly boots who do this on the left foot, and Adidas gazelles who do it on the right. They drive me crazy.

princesstiasmum Sat 11-Aug-18 20:37:44

Oh hope the vaseline works, but a shoe repairer should know if not,
Its a shame to throw good boots out, good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: