Help! I’m a fashion disaster!(17 Posts)
So I love fashion to look at but I have no idea how to put an outfit together!
I’m in my early 20’s and very very plus size. I Carry most of my weight on my tummy and it hangs quite low (I know that isn’t a nice description but I don’t know how else to put it).
Any tips on how to put cool outfits together?
For reference I like boohoo chic with a little bit of an edge.
DISCLAIMER: I know being the size I am I’m not going to look good in anything but I want to look like I’ve at least tried.
I think some of the outfits at boohoo.com look good - have you tried there for inspiration?
Get yourself on pintrest. There's loads of outfit ideas on there. Also find some plus size fashion blogs to follow. There's loads out there with good ideas of where to buy from etc.
Whattimeislove I do like boohoo and buy off there sometimes but the clothes are usually really bad quality or really weirdly sized. I find a lot of there stuff comes up short. Some of the outfits are also a bit out of my comfort zone
Fatted I am in Pinterest and follow bloggers and I know a lot of my options shopping wise it’s actually knowing what to buy. Like unless I copy their outfits piece by piece I have no idea what to buy and what looks good together. Maybe it’s a skill I need to put some work into. I guess I was secretly hoping there was a fail safe set of instructions I’d managed to miss lol
Are you on Instagram?
What height are you?
I think maxi dresses with a denim jacket over it kind of look is great, especially in your early 20s
Annabelle I am on instagram. 5ft 7. I like that look and I love a denim jacket but then maxis seemed to be kinda going out but maybe not!
Really, maybe I'm wrong so, but I think it's a great plus size look.
Annabelle it’s just now in all the shops they don’t sell as many anymore. But I do think they look nice. And it doesn’t take a lot of effort which is great lol
I'll actually click on #plussize now on Instagram out of interest
ASOS sell a lot of plus size stuff that's fadhionsble and has ranges from lots of different shops.
Putting together outfits takes trial and error, it's not effortless, you need to spend time (and to a certain extent money) on it. You need to spend a day in front of your mirror working out which of your clothes work and why. You need to use your accessories cleverly. But also be brave about sometimes getting it wrong because fashion is fun.
Shortcut ideas that work:
1) One colour. All black or navy or grey outfits can look good without much effort, just make sure everything is clean, no holes and not faded.
2) Subtle matchy matchy. If you are wearing something with a pattern the rest of your outfit should be fairly neutral matching the main colour in the outfit but then have a single small item (a watch strap, belt, earring, detail on your shoes) matching a minor colour in the pattern.
3) Blue eyes. If you have blue eyes then they tend to change colour a bit depending on what you are wearing, if you wear the right blues your eyes really pop. It's basically the same trick as above. This probably also works with green eyes but I don't know about darker eyes.
4) The colour pop accessory. A variation of the 'all black' outfit. Add one colourful accessory to a monochrome outfit.
5) Toning patterns. Wear clashing patterns that have the same colour tones in them. Needs thought but when it works it looks fab.
6) Letting the shape do the work. Wear one baggy thing with one fitted thing. Classic is slouchy jumper plus skinnies. Or the 90s parachute trousers with child's t-shirt.
7) Think about your accessories. Do you want a minimal set in black or navy or tan or white that goes with lots or do you want lots of options to liven up a more neutral set of clothes.
Would you mind telling us what size you are? It would be easier for recommending stores with the boho chic style.
I think you need to have some kind of idea of the style you like? Are you hipster, hippy, 50's, scandi, etc etc ...
Don't focus so much on your size at this stage. How would you like to dress and we can work from there?
Simply Be has a clearance shop on eBay which means you can get some lovely clothes for much cheaper prices and can often return them too! I keep seeing things come up in my searches which I think are lovely! I think it's called 'simplybeclearance' I really like the high waisted paper bag skirts they have at the moment. I like high waisted skirts with little jackets and tshirt or strap top tucked in as i carry my weight around my middle.
Thanks for the tips countfesco. With regards to the trial and error bit I do plenty of trying, plenty of erroring but never seem to move forward. Maybe I just don’t have a good eye.
Makeupmaven im a size 24/26 depending. Although moving back towards a true 24 as I’m losing weight.
Sourpatchkid I like the kinda boho chic but with a bit of an edge type look if that makes any sense?
Peanutbutter oh wow I didn’t know about that! I’ll have to have a look! Thanks!
Thank you for all the replies everyone 😊
countfosco those are wonderful tips for anyone!
With regards to the trial and error bit I do plenty of trying, plenty of erroring but never seem to move forward. Maybe I just don’t have a good eye.
You're very young still, it takes time to develop a style and that changes with age as well so you never finish refining. When you are young your lovely thick colourful hair and glow in your skin means you start from a good point so enjoy the fun of making mistakes. Get someone to take photos of you in different outfits, it's sometimes easier to spot where you could look better in a photo than when looking in a mirror. And wear comfortable clothes, if you have to kerp readjusting a skirt or a neckline or you feet hurt in heels you look less good.
Oh, another tip, think about the textures of your fabrics. So e.g. I think in summer don't wear head to foot linen but mix linen and cotton. A monochrome outfit that is a t-shirt and leggings so all jersey doesn't look as good as one which is e.g. crocodile skin shoes, woollen trousers and silky top.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.