Talk

Advanced search

Very easy dressmaking pattern or recommend anyone who sews

(19 Posts)
Waltzingmatilda65 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:04:59

I am tall and plus sized and used to sew when I was at school many many years ago. I am tall and plus sized and struggling to find clothes dresses to fit. I would like to get back into sewing again. I remember making skirts a blouse and some jackets at school and just after I finished and altering/extending the pattern to fit me. I would like to make some basic dresses (similar to White Stuff style bright green blue purple colors/patterns) to wear with boots for work in the autumn and I was thinking something like this might be ok but I have never worked with stretchy fabrics before and I would also need to buy a sewing machine. Any advice would be welcome re: the pattern/sewing machine, type of material/material supplier. Thank you
PS Alternatively can anyone recommend anyone on FB that could make a similar dress for me if I gave them my measurements for a reasonable price. I started another thread re: this but haven’t had any replies.

mummabearfourbabybears Sat 11-Aug-18 11:19:20

Cashmerette have lots of lovely patterns. Made for a UK size 12 upto usa Xxxl I've just finished The Upton dress which is beautiful. Instructions and video tutorials where brilliant too! Definitely do able as a beginner. Also

mummabearfourbabybears Sat 11-Aug-18 11:22:17

Sorry! If you are a beginner check out MBJM beachcomber dress. It uses jersey stretch fabric but can be made in Scuba which is easier to sew with. It's a very simple pattern. I absolutely love sewing but just started. Lots of patterns are easier than they look I've found. Join lots of Facebook groups. Hallå patterns are also great. Sea salt have a sale on their fabric too at the moment!!

Waltzingmatilda65 Sat 11-Aug-18 11:24:17

Thanks I will look into these I also prefer cooler fabrics as I am early fifties so often get too hot warm in winter.

Strongbeatsskinny Sat 11-Aug-18 11:35:14

You need to find a local dress maker really I did see the other thread but wasn’t able to reply due to phone battery and signal.

I’ve got an industrial over locker plus a lock stitch sewing machines both singer. On leaving school many moons ago I did make clothing for all the high street stores this was when 99% of clothes were made in the UK. I’m not offering to make you anything I do sometimes make my own in breathable materials. I honestly think you will find a local person that can cut the pattern or Iike me can copy from a garment and adjust it for a nicer fit. Wedding dress shops use seamstresses all the time.

ChangoMutney Sat 11-Aug-18 11:40:46

I sew and don't thin you'd need a dressmaker at all. I'd second Cashmerette find a pattern with an online tutorial and check it gives an option for making it without an overlocker. You'll learn a new skill and will be making all sorts in no time, just be aware it's seriously addictive 😀.

MipMipMip Sat 11-Aug-18 11:46:28

Aldi and Lidl both sell sewing machines every so often. Make sure it is s named one (usually singer) as it's easier for repair shops to get parts. Good luck!

Love Sewing magazine always has a free pattern- if you like the pattern on sale it's worth getting the magazine (price will work out about the same as buying the pattern on its own) because there are some nice project and a good how to section.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 11-Aug-18 12:11:43

One of my friends just made the Beachcomber dress. She used jersey fabric and a regular sewing machine and it came together absolutely fine, but I think generally it's easier to use an overlocker with stretch fabric. She's a novice so she found some very cheap jersey fabric and did a trial first before making it in her pretty fabric.

Highlove Sat 11-Aug-18 12:18:44

Have a look at Sew Over It and Tilly and the Buttons. Both do simple patterns with brilliant instructions (including photos!) I think their patterns go to size 20.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 11-Aug-18 12:23:46

I also recommend Craftsy classes, they have a few about adjusting patterns and also making patterns from existing clothes. They can be quite expensive but they have sales every now and then, or they have a monthly membership thing that lets you watch as much as you want and I think they have a month's free trial on that so you could watch a load of them and only buy one if you think it would be useful to come back to it in the future.

I also like Spoonflower for fabric, it's more expensive than normal shop bought but if you want a particular colour or whatever then it's great. It's print to order so you choose which type of fabric and how much. They have lots of info about each fabric and they also have a few instructional videos.

FlaviaAlbia Sat 11-Aug-18 12:26:24

Most patterns have a difficulty rating and plus size range so it should be possible to find what you want - like this site lists plus size patterns and you can see the rating easily

jaycotts.co.uk/collections/patterns-plus

I'd look at some YouTube tutorials before you start. Look at things like cutting on the bias, hemming, different kinds of needles for different fabrics to give yourself a quick refresher course.

I love my Janome machine, it's pretty basic but it does everything you want it to and I've made a variety of clothes with it.

Highlove Sat 11-Aug-18 12:28:05

Also look at Guthrie and Ghani for fabric. Or Fabric Godmother.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 11-Aug-18 12:34:30

Just a word of warning about the cheap Lidl machines, my friend teaches sewing classes and when she was setting up she bought several of the Lidl Singer machines and had no end of trouble with tension issues, plus the machines couldn't cope with any sort of tricky fabric so basically light-weight cotton was the only fabric the worked properly. She got rid of them at the end of the first term and went with entry level Janomes instead.

Also, when you are using patterns take your measurements and use those to work out what size you are as the sizing is different from shop sizing (which has got more generous over the years). So if you are a shop 20 for instance you will probably be a pattern 24.

YouWereRight Sat 11-Aug-18 12:57:31

Try The Fold Line's pattern search. You can search by type of garment, fit, size, etc.

Instagram has a great sewing community, and it's really nice to see patterns made up, and worn by people with different body shapes.

meala Sat 11-Aug-18 14:46:21

Jalie are great patterns, especially for sewing stretch jersey fabric which is so comfy to wear. Despite what people might say, it isn't hard to sew stretch fabric, especially if your machine has a stretch stitch. There's also no fraying fabric to worry about. jalie.com/jalie3024-knit-dress-sewing-pattern
Download the pdf and it covers all sizes from kids to xxl. There is a Jalie Facebook page and the company owner is great at replying if anyone needs help.

Blackbirdblue30 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:54:01

I second not getting a Singer esp not from Aldi. It used to be a good brand but I believe they're made in Japan now or something and the quality is poor. I have a basic Janome and not ever a problem with in ten years.

MipMipMip Sat 11-Aug-18 19:23:46

Didn't know singer had gone downhill. In that case avoid. But nothing wrong getting something from aldi/Lidl- I've found it easier to return things to them than some high street stores.

Avoid cheap thread (including aldi/Lidl!). Especially if it will take any strain at all.

Ifonlyus Sat 11-Aug-18 23:47:39

The main branch library for my county has a maker space where the public can book to use a sewing machine and overlocker. It could be worth checking if there is anything like that local to you, before you commit to a purchase.

starfish8 Tue 14-Aug-18 15:59:53

I had a cheap Brother machine when i first started sewing - I was in tears a lot of the time due to it chewing up fabric, dodgy tension, it was a nightmare.

I since bought a mid range Janome and I couldn't recommend the brand more!

Have a look at the Janome machine they've previously had on Sewing Bee, I remember a couple of people telling me it was a great starter model.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: