Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Do you throw your eye make up away regularly?

(15 Posts)
LoveBeingAMum555 Sat 11-Aug-18 07:52:41

I have just had an eye infection (wear contact lenses) and its been hideous not been able to wear my lenses and having a puffy sore eye all week.

Someone asked me if I wash make up brushes regularly and don't keep eye make up for two long and I admit I am bad at this. Question is, do other people throw out eye shadow, eye liner etc before its used up just because it has been kicking around in their make up bag for a long time?

RabbitsAreTasty Sat 11-Aug-18 07:54:43

I use it all up then replace it. Most only last a few weeks maybe a few months. How long do you keep yours?

Trills Sat 11-Aug-18 07:56:19

Not at all.

I throw away mascara and liquidy eyeliner when it runs out or goes dry.

Powders and pencils last forever.

dudsville Sat 11-Aug-18 09:22:37

Similar to pp, powders last forever. I never wash my eye make brush. Nearly 50 and haven't had an eye infection ever. Are you sure it came from your make up? I know it can be a cause, just wondering if anything else could have been the cause.

leighdinglady Sat 11-Aug-18 09:30:25

Not once have I ever washed an eye makeup brush. Similarly I've had mascaras last a good year! No infections.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Sat 11-Aug-18 09:44:46

I throw out mascaras every 3 months and wash brushes every few weeks. Powder eye shadows last forever, but I like the soft pencil types as it feels like I'm sharpening away the germs. The germs are probably lurking in the sharpener. I had an infected eyelid last Christmas and it was horrible. I think it came from being run down and having a filthy cold more than from the make up, I was at a weak point so the germs seized their opportunity, but I don't want it again.

Aprilshowersinaugust Sat 11-Aug-18 09:48:19

Just read an article about a woman who used an old mascara from a drawer.
She stands to lose her sight in 2/3 years - I binned all mine and bought new.
Going to keep to the 3 month rule from now on.

PodgeBod Sat 11-Aug-18 09:59:40

I wash my brushes every couple of weeks, I throw out mascara when it dries up or it feels a bit old. Powder eyeshadow should be fine, since you have had an eye infection if might be a good idea to sanitise it like make up artists do.

Doobigetta Sat 11-Aug-18 11:34:07

I'm quite careful to replace mascara every three months or so because I've heard such horror stories about people going blind. Brushes get washed but not regularly. Eyeshadows last me years, especially dark colours that I don't use as much of.

MissMarplesKnitting Sat 11-Aug-18 11:35:56

Get some isopropyl alcohol and wipe over the surface of your powder shadows. Kills bugs.

My mascara only lasts three months anyway...only ever wear one colour and type!!

Wash brushes regularly too.

LlamaPyjamas Sat 11-Aug-18 11:43:17

Nope. I have eyeshadows from a decade ago that I still haven’t used up. I replace mascara about once a year. Never had an eye infection.

Redact Sat 11-Aug-18 12:08:40

No I don't but have sore, itchy eyes and now thinking my mascara could be the culprit! Eyeshadows I wear occasionally so they last forever and I only have a few, same with eyeliner. Mascara I wear every day but this one I'm using is probably about 6 months old.

TheDishRanAwayWithTheSpoon Sat 11-Aug-18 12:19:39

I use up a mascara in about 3 months anyway, but I wouldn't use an old one, i would throw it out if it was old, it wiuld probably be dry anyway. Eyeliner I probably use up in about 5 months so I don't worry too much but eyeshadow I never throw out unless it's used up, I wash my brushes haphazardly, but not always that often. I've never had an eye infection!

LoveBeingAMum555 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:10:35

Thanks all, the eye infection was probably caused by something else but it did get me thinking. I dont keep mascara very long but I like the No 7 single powder eyeshadows and have some that I have had for a very long time!

Thanks for the tip about sanitising the eyeshadow. If nothing else it has prompted me to have a really good clear out and throw out some make up that I dont use.

JeremyCorbynsBeard Sat 11-Aug-18 19:28:47

My only eye shadows are a Boots Christmas tin from 1982. I still use them occasionally .......

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: