Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What to wear under wetsuit for shark cage diving?

(68 Posts)
UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Fri 10-Aug-18 16:00:22

I'm not sure style and beauty is really the place for this, really, but it does involve wearing things.

I'm going shark cage diving on holidays. I'm bringing a pair of shorts and a rash vest for general swimming and kayaking activities because I'm a redhead and get sunburned at the drop of a hat.

Do I have to bring a normal swimsuit as well, just for under the wetsuit? I've never worn a wetsuit before and I don't know how much room there is in one, or what would be comfy.

GlitterRollerSkate Fri 10-Aug-18 16:04:45

I always wear a bikini or swim suit under. If it's hot you'll want to unzip abit if you do not change straight away. Also terrified I'll zip my pubes...

Hotchox Fri 10-Aug-18 16:08:05

I have worn wetsuits for swimming, diving and surfing - definitely normal swimwear or a bikini underneath!! A rash vest would be fine too, but not shorts, they won't be comfortable

MedicinalGin Fri 10-Aug-18 16:12:01

Good strong pants for when the shark appears?

Sorry. Seriously- just a bikini or whatever swimwear you have. Where are you going? The dive masters and instructors will probs give you lots of advice when you get there. Or they should do, anyway. Good luck and enjoy yourselves op!

Cantchooseaname Fri 10-Aug-18 16:13:51

Brown trousers!!

GGCH Fri 10-Aug-18 16:29:58

Gosh, you’re brave! You can do either. I wear a swimsuit underneath my wetsuit most of the time. It's not uncomfortable at all. You’re wetsuit is too tight if it doesn’t fit with a swimsuit.

Also, I always do it if I’m wearing a borrowed one. So I might advise wearing the swimsuit if you’re wearing a wetsuit others have used in shark encounters!!!

FoofFighter Fri 10-Aug-18 16:34:11

For me, incontinence knickers...!!

MoltonSilver Fri 10-Aug-18 16:45:47

A miraculous medal.

Furrycushion Fri 10-Aug-18 16:48:31

Just a regular swimming costume. You will want to sit around with the wetsuit unzipped. I wouldn't go commando if it's a rented wetsuit!

TheCatFromOuterSpace Fri 10-Aug-18 16:49:53

Don't know but this is my favourite style and beauty thread title ever

MorningsEleven Fri 10-Aug-18 16:50:57

Tena pads. Metal ones.

Harriedharriet Fri 10-Aug-18 16:59:57

Raw meat? smile

DaisyRenton18 Fri 10-Aug-18 17:31:17

Gosh how exciting! And not a thread I ever expected to see. grin

I agree with those who've said swimsuit. There'll be plenty of room under your wetsuit, and if it's a hired wetsuit (which I'm assuming it is?) then all the more reason to wear your own costume underneath! Hope you have a great time; it sounds like an amazing holiday.

Dyrne Fri 10-Aug-18 17:37:28

Definitely wear a swimsuit under your wetsuit. Probably personal preference, but I always wear bikinis/swimsuits with proper straps under a wetsuit as I don’t like the feel of the tie up ones on the back of my neck being pressed in by a wetsuit. I’m assuming if it’s warm enough for just a rash vest and shorts normally you will definitely be in a wetsuit rather than a dry suit?

(Definitely don’t go commando if you’re renting a wetsuit. They probably wouldn’t let you anyway but just remember that about 90% of people before you will have wee’d in that wetsuit)

championquartz Fri 10-Aug-18 17:43:45

Chain mail??

llangennith Fri 10-Aug-18 17:44:29

You could get one of those 'proper' swimsuits with short legs and wear a rash vest over it.

championquartz Fri 10-Aug-18 17:49:39

Absolutely wear a regular biking/swimsuit under the wetsuit. Before the chain mail/Kevlar. So swimsuit, chain mail, wetsuit. grin

Agree with PP, no ties under a wetsuit. Pfar too uncomfortable. And I prefer a swimsuit, it’s more comfortable. Fewer ‘bits’ to to cause problems.

Mercurial123 Fri 10-Aug-18 18:59:57

I wouldn't say you are brave I've dived many times and would never go cage diving it's not ethical relay-nationalgeographic-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/relay.nationalgeographic.com/proxy/distribution/public/amp/travel/digital-nomad/2013/11/21/why-i-wont-go-shark-cage-diving?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https://www.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s

mamaslatts Fri 10-Aug-18 19:05:21

Thanks mercurial interesting article

Dyrne Fri 10-Aug-18 19:14:52

There are sustainable, ethical cage diving companies out there. For me, the unethical part comes with the chumming, not the cage diving itself

shallichangemyname Fri 10-Aug-18 21:01:39

Are you doing it in South Africa? I did it and the sea was absolutely freezing. I really struggled to regulate my breathing, but it was a thrill.

Thursdaydreaming Sat 11-Aug-18 00:24:13

Don't you wear normal swimmers under your rash short and board shorts? I wear those as well but not without swimmers. It would be like going braless in a t shirt.

FordPrefect42 Sat 11-Aug-18 00:27:16

Nothing that smells like blood.

HTH 😆

Seriously though that sounds amazing, I’d be scared stiff but hope you enjoy!

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sat 11-Aug-18 00:28:10

I'd wear the rash vest with bikini bottoms or with a swimsuit —I always find even my own wetsuit is more comfortable around the neck with one underneath, I find it rubs otherwise.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 11-Aug-18 00:35:00

Really not ethical. Why would you?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: