Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

So BORED of leopard print

(80 Posts)
SchnitzelVonKrumm Thu 09-Aug-18 13:01:57

Shops are full of it for A/W. It's so tired looking.

hannnnnnnxo Thu 09-Aug-18 13:34:50

Unfortunately for you leopard print due to be a massive trend this season, along with snake print/cow print (and prints in general). It’s not going anywhere as it’s quite the money maker this year!

hannnnnnnxo Thu 09-Aug-18 13:35:03

IS due*

MadMaryBoddington Thu 09-Aug-18 13:39:00

I hate leopard print. I think it looks really cheap, even when it isn’t. I avoid it like the plague.

teta Thu 09-Aug-18 13:56:29

Leopard has been in for years in various reincarnations. I consider it a neutral and have numerous scarves in wool,cashmere and silk in animal print. Plus leopard boots that my kids hate, as it reminds them of their Grannys style ( velour trackies with added Bet Lynch) .......no style.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Thu 09-Aug-18 14:13:58

I know it's been in for years - I wore an "ironic" Bet Lynch style leopard print coat at university three decades ago! I also have numerous animal print scarves, shoes etc. I don't need any more. Surely no one needs any more. That's my point. How can the shops be full of it AGAIN?

championquartz Thu 09-Aug-18 14:16:50

Agree OP, bored to the teeth. It's so ubiquitous, that's what makes it hackneyed and tired. And when it's so ubiquitous I think it's no longer a 'statement' and 'edgy'. It's normal, like stripes. Nothing to be seen here, sort of thing.

Anyway all that yellowy brown shitty coloured leopard print is vile on me.
I like a bit of snake-print tho it's everywhere for Autumn. Puts me off

foodiefil Thu 09-Aug-18 14:20:59

I love leopard print. I see it as a neutral 😂

LadyRochfordsHoickedGusset Thu 09-Aug-18 14:24:57

I was a bit yawn seeing it AGAIN for A/W, same with plaid/tartan. Same old same old. And putting it with neon doesn't really change that, sorry fash editors.

hannnnnnnxo Thu 09-Aug-18 15:22:35

Whilst leopard print items have been present in stores over the years, it’s actually a sort of resurgence right now - the updated look being brighter colourways and different items in leopard print from denim jackets to jumpsuits to bikinis as opposed to just shirts/dresses

I used to think leopard was tacky too, but some items have grown on me. I have these heels and they’re very wearable. They look nice with all black outfits or a white dress - just easy to throw on summer shoes.

I’m also enjoying the snake print trend, like this Zara dress or Topshop shirt. Both items look so much better on/in person

PinkHeart5914 Thu 09-Aug-18 15:24:58

It is horrible, always looks cheap and tacky no matter how big the price tag is.

IwankaTramp Thu 09-Aug-18 15:53:52

Agree -always looks naff.

rightknockered Thu 09-Aug-18 16:20:21

I love it! I have a midi length green leopard print wrap dress from Gestuz which is my current favourite, I intend to layer it with polo neck and jeans or tights in autumn with block heeled boots.

rightknockered Thu 09-Aug-18 16:22:02

I think it can look naff if worn like Bet Lynch, but teenagers could probably get away with that look. I like it loose, flowy and definitely not tight

MoltonSilver Thu 09-Aug-18 16:49:56

I like it in shoes or a belt. Anything more is too much for me.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Thu 09-Aug-18 16:54:04

@hannnnnnnxo I have sandals identical to those from last year. I've got a maroon and turquoise leopard print shirt that's at least three years old. I'm wearing snake print trainers I bought last winter. It's all old hat. I suppose I'll save some money at least wink

SchnitzelVonKrumm Thu 09-Aug-18 16:57:26

"I see it as a neutral" - in the 1990s a mate with similar trash-aesthetic tastes and I used to say <<fashion voice>> "Leopard print is timeless, isn't it darling", then fall around laughing grin

teta Thu 09-Aug-18 17:53:31

I never wore leopard print 30 years ago so that’s probably why I like it now. Now utility jackets - I bought one and just could not bring myself to wear it. Reminded me of the khaki army consignment jackets we all wore.
Anyone planning on buying the leopard trousers around for winter?
I think that’s a step too far for me.

ElspethFlashman Thu 09-Aug-18 17:55:41

I know leopard print has been around for ages but this blanket saturation is surely new? It's just everywhere, all the time.

I'm going right off it now.

CakeNinja Thu 09-Aug-18 17:59:49

Aghhh I hate all animal print but leopard isn’t worst. Agree with those saying it just looks cheap and tacky, Bette Lynch and Liz McDonald from Corrie have really ruined animal print!! Although I’ve never worn it and don’t watch Corrie anymore grin so it’s no skin off my nose not to wear it.

Lweji Thu 09-Aug-18 18:00:14

Leopard print has never and will never grow on me.
It doesn't favour anyone in any form.

Glitteryfrog Thu 09-Aug-18 18:01:13

I love it.
I have a fur coat which I wear to channel my inner Courtney Love.

Strippervicar Thu 09-Aug-18 18:04:09

I am a manic street preachers fan. There can never be enough leopard print. I even had my DD in a 9-12 months leopard print coat.

spugzbunny Thu 09-Aug-18 18:32:25

I love it! I'm 36 and to me it's a little bit rockstar still - depends how you style it I think!

LapinR0se Thu 09-Aug-18 18:34:08

It’s a modern neutral. Little hints of leopard can bring a whole outfit together

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: