Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Best bronzer for olive skin.

(13 Posts)
ihatethecold Tue 07-Aug-18 15:47:54

I tried a gorgeous Bobbi Brown one today that is shimmery ( not a shimmer brick) but it’s £30 so way too expensive

Any recommendations for someone with a tan already ?

ihatethecold Sat 11-Aug-18 08:38:06

Bump

Plentyofshoes Sat 11-Aug-18 09:09:50

I use the Benefit one. It does last a long time. You can get smaller ones also which works out cheaper?
I also got a free sample of the Clinique one which I am now using.

Isleepinahedgefund Sat 11-Aug-18 09:16:57

I’ve got an olive/medium deep complexion aswell. Generally I’ve found that more expensive bronzers are better as they’re not just orange - Bobbi Brown actually do my favourites and the other one I like is by Hourglass.

The NYX ones are pretty good though, although the one I had was matte so if you’re after a shimmer no good obvs, and also the ones at Kiko are nice if they go dark enough for you.

Sometimes it is worth the money just getting the one you found you like rather than three not so good ones.....

Isleepinahedgefund Sat 11-Aug-18 09:19:16

Ooh I did use Hula by benefit but it’s very cool toned so can lo9k really muddy on warmer skin, but it does come in a travel size for about £10 which lasts (as PP said).

What I’d do Is go back to Bobbi Brown, look at the one you liked, swatch it and photograph it in daylight and make a note of exactly what you like about it - the shimmer? The colour? The tone? Then go shopping for the cheaper ones with that in mind. The wrong colour bronzer can make you look really odd!

MooMinCow Sat 11-Aug-18 09:42:17

Hi. I’m medium dark skin with golden undertones and like the darker Houglass bronzer (if you want a more glowing/sheeny bronzer) or for matt bronzer the Body Shop Honey Bronzing powder in the compact in the golden bronze shade ? is lovely

ihatethecold Sat 11-Aug-18 13:12:21

Thanks. Maybe I should just buy the one I like and pretend it didn’t cost £30.
I will check out the body shop one though.
I do want shimmery rather than matt.
I do have benefit but I don’t think it lasts very well.

MooMinCow Sat 11-Aug-18 16:37:16

The body shop also do their version of B.B. shimmer brick (I think a few brands do similar) otherwise The Balm Betty-Luminizer is a great glowy bronzer too

ihatethecold Sat 11-Aug-18 17:15:44

I have a travel size bronze shimmer brick by B.B. but I don’t really rate it tbh.

wizzywig Sat 11-Aug-18 19:56:33

Can i ask, what does a bronzer do to darker skins? Im asian and ive never understood why id need a bronzer. Isnt it just like a foundation powder?

MooMinCow Sat 11-Aug-18 20:27:39

Wizzy-I’m Asian too, and was a bit hmm as to why I would need it, but it does add a bit of dimension and glow to our complexion (rather than making us look more ‘bronzed’) especially in the middle of winter (when my skin looks pale and dull) or when using a fuller coverage foundation

The Hourglass one is lovely. Was pricey but will last ages. Gives a golden/bronze sheen to the skin rather than looking glittery like the BB one. I little pop of pink/peach blush on top really helps to perk up my face!

ihatethecold Sun 12-Aug-18 08:15:38

I am half Indian so can have a great tan in the summer but can also look sallow in winter so a bronzer really does help lift my face. I use it on top on cream blusher.
Currently loving my coral Fenty one from Harvey Nicks I treated myself to in winter.

HeyMacWey Sun 12-Aug-18 09:34:26

I'd just buy they Bobbi brown one if it suited you. You'll waste more time and money on ones that don't complement your skin tone - yes I have done the same grin

I use a matt Bobbi brown one -in shade 1.

I'm olive toned, and tan as soon as I look at the sun, but because I wear spf50 my face stays lighter. This helps to match me up and apps me looking so yellow/green in the winter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: