Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Why do all my t-shirts end up short and boxy?!

(26 Posts)
LittleNoSleep Wed 20-Jun-18 18:49:44

It only takes a few washes for my t-shirts to look like they’d fit a six-foot wide Ronnie Corbett. What’s going on? First wear they are at hip level and then after about two weeks, they are belly-bearing. Does anyone else have this problem? I wash at 40 in non-bio. Don’t tumble-dry. Also find some of DH’s go like this as well. Is is the type of cotton? It seems to happen regardless of where I buy them.

littletike Wed 20-Jun-18 18:53:03

No idea but I have a similar problem with pyjama bottoms!

ThisBabyIsAnOctopus Wed 20-Jun-18 18:53:27

Same thing happens to me. Drives me mad. Can only assume it’s the material quality

LittleNoSleep Wed 20-Jun-18 19:14:20

It’s just rubbish! Why does no one stock decent cotton stuff that doesn’t shrink? Please share any finds! I always think t shirts are never quite as long as I would like, but when you factor in shrinkage....

BusterGonad Wed 20-Jun-18 19:15:34

Viscose is a bugger for this!

trebleclef101 Wed 20-Jun-18 19:20:37

I stopped buying t-shirts from Dorothy Perkins for this exact reason!

T-shirts currently in my wardrobe that are holding up well so far are from Peacocks (basics range) and Matalan. So they have the added bonus of being cheap too!

itsallgravybaby Wed 20-Jun-18 19:22:00

I just thought this about man awesome tshirt from Zara with sequin dinosaurs on that I've only worn twice and now it's like a crop top angryangry

Not a good look on someone of my ahem stature!!

LittleNoSleep Wed 20-Jun-18 19:23:11

And wide!!!!! Why do they so bloody wide?

NotARegularPenguin Wed 20-Jun-18 21:33:50

Yep, just chucked out a number of t-shirts from a variety of shops which are like this. Never tumble dry, wash at 40 and the shale change is unreal!

OCSock Thu 21-Jun-18 10:01:50

It's because fabric manufacturers steam-stretch fabrics according to the store/manufacturer's specifications, and some ask for fabric to be stretched more than others, to keep prices down and profit up. When you wash it, it changes shape. It also explains why so many cheaper garments are almost transparent.

Skyejuly Thu 21-Jun-18 10:13:03

Peacocks basics are Good!

MipMipMip Thu 21-Jun-18 10:17:39

Try washing at 30. It helps. I used to have this problem but stopped tumble drying and it's not too bad now. Although the house does look like a landrette with things things everywhere!

Plural Thu 21-Jun-18 10:17:42

I seem to have a whole host of 100% cotton h and m t shirts that wash well and are very comfy to wear. I don't think they're that expensive either. They're not exactly form fitting but definitely hip length.

MipMipMip Thu 21-Jun-18 10:17:55

Drying*

CallarMorvern Thu 21-Jun-18 10:18:34

Had never happened to me with Primark tees - the plain coloured, really cheap ones that are folded in piles. Mine are in their second year, I wear them everyday ( their camis and long sleeved are good too). Never tried their dearer ones.
M&S tees always go shirt and wide.
Peacocks latest offerings shrink too, as the knit seems looser than last year.
I don't tumble and wash on 40.

CallarMorvern Thu 21-Jun-18 10:20:09

*has

woolythoughts Thu 21-Jun-18 10:25:34

I have this problem.

I am somewhat large (size 22) and I like tops that come down over my not pregnant but looks 9 months stomach and my wide load hips.

I'm not tall - 5'3'' so you'd think this would be easy.

Not at all.

Every t shirt / vest style top I buy ends up sitting on my waist.

I've taken to knitting myself tops with thin cotton thread. But then I don't like wearing these to slob in because of the effort that went into making them!

Just one I'd like to be able to get some that stay long!

ThenCameTheFools Thu 21-Jun-18 13:09:20

Apparently if you iron viscose based stuff, it goes back to its original length. Haven't tried it yet but have some M&S viscose mix ts which I love, and the ones I bought last summer (same product code etc) are 4 inches shorter than the ones I bought last month!

Undercoverbanana Thu 21-Jun-18 13:13:01

Tumble dryers.

teta Thu 21-Jun-18 13:35:10

I wash mine on a 30 degree and wool wash. 100% cotton J Crew, H&M linen and American Vintage linen. They have all been fine - no shrinkage or damage. I don’t tumble dry but dry on a hanger or a large clothes rack. The only issue is stains which I have to pre-treat as the cooler wash doesn’t remove those as well.
Matalan t shirts are really good quality and cheap as well. M&S are terrible in shape and quality.

RhubarbRhubarbRhubarbRhubarb Thu 21-Jun-18 14:47:49

I find this too. I’ve taken to hanging tshirts on my washing line upside down. I don’t know if it makes any difference but I’m still doing it!

LittleNoSleep Thu 21-Jun-18 15:54:19

M and s are among the worst offenders. I also find Zara bad too. Gap seem to be ok.

MinaPaws Thu 21-Jun-18 16:00:28

The H& M linen ones keep their shape (but they are transparent so you need a cami underneath.) So do Uniqlo cotton tees.

endthefarts Thu 21-Jun-18 16:22:46

This always happened to Dorothy perkins tshirts when I used to buy them! It happened a bit to stuff from other shops too but theirs were by far the worst - always fitted perfectly when I bought them but 3 washes later were really wide, short and kind of square. Infuriating.

endthefarts Thu 21-Jun-18 16:24:00

Oh, and M&S ones do it too from what I can remember.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: