Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I have a hen night, all I have to wear is a black dress, what can I buy to jazz it up

(59 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:25:59

Help!

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:31:45

Help me I am a style disaster

Passingwords Wed 13-Jun-18 22:31:49

Pink bra if you can see straps at shoulders? Pin on coloured fabric flower? Flower shops sell really strong magnets that you could use to put it on the dress if it's likely to hole with a pin. Habidashery shop, buy a ribbon to match fabric flower and tie round your waist with a side bow hanging down. Coloured bracelets, chunky plastic, fabric hair flowers, bright necklace, coloured shoes, hell why not if black shoes, more magnets and fabric flower bows- may go and buy some myself. You could go mad and buy some matching washout spray and write always the bridesmaid never the bride on the back and you may have a really interesting night out! Have fun

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:33:12

Erm... OK thats a lot! I was hoping for links to necklaces!!
Any specific links you'd recommend. Basically it's a work dress so I need to not look like I'm delivering a presentation grin

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:34:05

Interesting point about coloured bra. I am so dull that I would do anything to conceal it. Good thought.

Passingwords Wed 13-Jun-18 22:34:20

Thin coloured scarf/ wrap that will scrunch into your handbag, dare I say more fabric flowers on your bag too

Tatapie Wed 13-Jun-18 22:34:44

What type of neckline does it have?

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:34:52

Do you work in the fabric flower industry?

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:35:05

Erm

ShirleyPhallus Wed 13-Jun-18 22:35:40

What’s wrong with a black dress?! Wear a pair of lovely high heels, brightly coloured clutch and a statement necklace and you’re good to go

Really not sure about the magnetic flowers and visible bra straps mind

ShirleyPhallus Wed 13-Jun-18 22:36:18

Do you work in the fabric flower industry?

grin

Passingwords Wed 13-Jun-18 22:36:22

Not good with links but accessorize are always funky and reasonable quality

keiratwiceknightly Wed 13-Jun-18 22:37:13

A chunky silver necklace and/or loads f silver bangles. Bright coloured clutch as someone else said.

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:37:58

a bit like this but black

Passingwords Wed 13-Jun-18 22:38:20

No but have pulled a couple out in desperation and they have turned ordinary dress/cardi/ hair do into occasion look for me( can you tell I'm no style guru either)

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:38:42

Yes bit I need links to these necklaces etc. Don't underestimate how unstylish I am

BowKay Wed 13-Jun-18 22:39:57

Don't wear a coloured bra unless you are on a 90s themed night in a suburban area.

What about a long chunky gold chain you can wear double, nice heels and a shoulder bag with gold chain strap?

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:41:30

Sorry but that gold chunky thing is not me.uch more comfortable with silver. I hVe no idea about the hen do but knowing my friend it will be quite tasteful.

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:42:03

I think hair accessories in the shape of willies would be frowned upon

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:43:47

OK I'll allow genital hair accessories. Pleas help!

keiratwiceknightly Wed 13-Jun-18 22:45:00

2 possibilities depending upon your taste and the neckline.

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:46:24

Thank you. First one looks good.
Is it definitely OK for a woman in her thirties to shop in Claire s?

teddybearsbear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:47:40

I have a similar dress worn for a night out recently with some really bright pink shoes and matching bag didn’t bother with necklace or any other accessories I think the bright colour was enough of a pop

If your not going down that route I would wear statement earrings rather than a necklace and my hair up

ShirleyPhallus Wed 13-Jun-18 22:48:21

That first gold necklace looks like Ali G crossed with Del Boy

Something like this would be fine (bit flowery for me but they are the topic de jour)
uk.accessorize.com/view/product/uk_catalog/acc_2,acc_2.3/4824080100

StealthPolarBear Wed 13-Jun-18 22:49:06

Ooh I have silver shoes. If I got a matching bag and maybe that linked necklace that woukd be OK?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: