Talk

Advanced search

could I wear this for a wedding?

(31 Posts)
poppym12 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:35:22

It's not a big lavish wedding. I have this dress which fits really well and is quite flattering (unusual for me to feel good in something). Do you think if I wore black sandals and something over my arms that it would be suitable or is it too casual? It's at the end of July.

WingsofNylon Wed 13-Jun-18 21:54:01

I like it. Some people might say no on the basis that it is white or cream but i dont care about such things.
Honestly, I can't recall a single outfit any of my guests wore. I just enjoyed thier company

BeanJen Wed 13-Jun-18 22:05:42

It's too casual, and too close to white. It's really not appropriate wedding attire unless you want to be that person everyone talks about for not having made enough of an effort. (I don't agree that it should be like that but it really is that's just a fact) On the other hand, a large fancy fascinator or awesome hat would make it 100% fine.

RavenWings Wed 13-Jun-18 22:07:41

No way. All fine and good that the pp doesn't care about people wearing white at weddings, but the fact is that many brides and guests would. I'm in the "I don't care if you wear white" camp myself but I wouldn't wear that as a guest.

BeanJen Wed 13-Jun-18 22:08:10

Also, unlike pp I remember every outfit worn to my wedding, but I'm really into clothes so I like to see people make an effort. One guest of the groom turned up in a blazer over a polo shirt. He was talked about a lot after. I didn't care but some people really do.

OliviaBenson Wed 13-Jun-18 22:09:36

I think it's fine. Just team with a bright colour pashmina and accessories.

NotMyFinestMoment Wed 13-Jun-18 22:11:14

It's a pretty dress but too casual for a wedding. I also agree that you shouldn't wear anything too close to white out of respect for the bride.

BeanJen Wed 13-Jun-18 22:12:43

@RavenWings Yes. This.
Our best man called me the week before my wedding and asked me if his girlfriend could wear a white designer dress. I said I really do mind sorry it's a no. I'm not normally like that at all. It's just one of those things. Disrespectful. Also I was genuinely worried about everyone else's reaction to her. How to get everyone to hate you at a wedding in one single step. 😂

Ickyockycocky Wed 13-Jun-18 22:14:08

It’s lovely, you should definitely wear it.

corrianderisthedevil Wed 13-Jun-18 22:39:31

I like it. Could definitely dress it up a bit with a bright pashmina and matching shoes. It being flattering and feeling comfortable is the main thing

BowKay Wed 13-Jun-18 22:43:07

It's on the cusp. If it's fairly new and you have a good quality cover up, bag and shoes I think it could work but that material can look a bit tired and bobbly quite quickly so I would make sure it was pristine condition in order for it to be smart enough.

TroubledLichen Wed 13-Jun-18 22:44:59

Its a great dress but it’s completely inappropriate for a wedding as it’s far too white and far too casual. Save it for holidays/sunny Sunday brunches grin

poppym12 Wed 13-Jun-18 22:55:50

Thanks. I'll find something else. It's not the bride's first marriage and afaik she's chosen not to wear white this time. I won't be splashing out on a fancy dress I'll never wear again for a reception in a village hall as I'd then feel overdressed. Do people still wear fascinators confused. Not my style I'm afraid.

MikeUniformMike Wed 13-Jun-18 22:58:56

Do you have a jacket or shawl that would pick out a colour in the dress?

poppym12 Wed 13-Jun-18 23:01:03

The centre of the flowers is yellow and unfortunately that's one of the few colours that makes me look like a dug up corpse grin.

MikeUniformMike Wed 13-Jun-18 23:35:46

Not many people can wear yellow. Do you have shoes and cover-up in a matching colour that would provide a sharp contrast?

wwwwwwwwwwwwww Wed 13-Jun-18 23:51:46

I'd be put off because it's cream.

2blueshoes Thu 14-Jun-18 00:05:19

Hmmm a bit too casual, unless you dress it up a bit.

poppym12 Thu 14-Jun-18 06:43:23

I'd probably wear it with black sandals and a cropped jacket / cardi but I'll look for something else instead.

Next question is 'what can I wear for a wedding that's quite low key'?

BeanJen Thu 14-Jun-18 07:47:02

Haha. Yes people still wear fascinators. To weddings. Weddings are a formal occasion. A thing I often do is buy an expensive dress then put it straight on eBay after the wedding. For example a coast dress will sell for 75% of the price If it's still in season. That way I can get a dress I wear only once for a fraction of the cost. But it sounds like you're a different kind of person dressing-up-wise to me! So basically you could wear the dress you posted in a nice bright colour, or you could wear a nice summer dress in floral print. Nice shoes and a pashmina/jacket and you're done. Something like that.

ApolloandDaphne Thu 14-Jun-18 08:00:51

It is absolutely fine. It is cream but with the black patterns and black sandals it will not look bridal at all. My DD wore a very strapy dress to a recent wedding and as it was hot she didn't use the cardi she had bought. It was fine. No-one raised an eyebrow.

BigFatBloomers Thu 14-Jun-18 10:17:17

I think it’s absolutely fine to wear and if you feel happy in it then that makes a real difference.

I’d get a brightly coloured cropped cardigan to go over it and some strappy black sandals and you’ll be fine and comfortable.

How do you feel about orange?

BigFatBloomers Thu 14-Jun-18 10:24:00

I’m also picturing it with a nice daisy necklace (not sure why!)

HildaZelda Thu 14-Jun-18 11:18:37

No. It's a nice dress but too close to white and way too casual for a wedding.

poppym12 Thu 14-Jun-18 11:20:11

I'm afraid orange has a similarly corpse like vibe on me bloomers. I really do look awful in bright colours.
I do have a daisy necklace though, white gold with a yellow gold centre.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: