Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Can we talk sun lotion?

(55 Posts)
Kokoloco Wed 13-Jun-18 21:09:49

Trying to work out best quality and value for our family holiday this year in the med.
Wondering about p20 but no idea how many bottles we would need for 2 adults and 3 children.
We usually take nivea clear and it's always been good but do wonder if a moisturising once a day would be less hassle.
Looked at ultrasun but it's very expensive when you have to coat 5 people daily for 10 days!
We are all fair and prone to burning so it needs to be higher factor.
What are your favourites in terms of quality and value for money?

Pengweng Wed 13-Jun-18 21:30:17

I use sunsense factor 50 for everyone.
Usually buy a 500 ml bottle for about £20 ISH from Amazon it lasts for ages. It's water resistant for about 4 hrs too.

I use la Roche Posey on my face though.

grasspigeons Wed 13-Jun-18 21:39:38

ive been using p20 on my face and put it on my children as it is really water resistant but I was alarmed when it dissolved the permanent marker i'd used to label his t shirt.

I also have Sainsburys own which is great for day to day use. It has maximum stars and spf of 30 which is apparently what you want and its cheaper than other creams with lower star ratings

3luckystars Wed 13-Jun-18 21:47:30

Le roche possay is absolutely brilliant sun cream.
It’s expensive but lasts the whole family and does not cause a rash.

I do not like that p20 at all as it previously turned my skin yellow, it’s funny now but wasn’t at the time and I ended up like marge Simpson for the week.

La Roche Posay (50) is the best on the market, in my opinion (but I have highly allergic, sensitive and pale, easily burnt skin) it’s expensive but it goes a long way.

specialsubject Wed 13-Jun-18 21:53:46

dont trust the once a day stuff.

rash vests, board shorts, hats to reduce area exposed. lots of factor 30 slapped on every two hours and more after swimming.

eurochick Wed 13-Jun-18 21:57:50

I like ultra sun. It's less sticky than most brands. P20 is good too but it stains clothes badly and stings like a bastard if you have any scratches it bites.

BoobleMcB Wed 13-Jun-18 21:58:17

I'm in love with Hawaiian Tropic ATM. Though Piz Buin once a day SPF30 is a good base

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 13-Jun-18 21:59:29

I started a thread on the exact same subject And No Bugger Answered <<sulk>>

I have so far bought 2 spray Factor 50 (for DS ) IIRC Superdug and some Malibu for me because I like the smell.
I'll need to check what DH wants and get some non-coconut smelling lotion for DD .
Might look at the M&S ones .

I prefer a lavish all over lotion to moisturise and I can re-apply after swimming.

Just imagining the fatty layer of suntan lotion that will float atop the pool <bleurgh>

WeeM Wed 13-Jun-18 22:01:54

Somebody on here recommended altruist from amazon and it’s fab. Not sticky and pretty cheap too. It’s developed by a dermatologist.

FredSheeran Wed 13-Jun-18 22:05:43

Soltan Once also stains badly. I use Ultrasun SPF50 on my face because once it's on I can put make up over, and then Soltan SPF 50 on areas where it's easy to add more during the day if necessary.

QVC has decent bundle offers on Ultrasun, and when M&S or John Lewis price match, you can get 20% off.

WeeM Wed 13-Jun-18 22:06:06

www.amazon.co.uk/Altruist-Dermatologist-Sunscreen-SPF-protection/dp/B013NUI4LA?tag=mumsnetforum-21

dementedpixie Wed 13-Jun-18 22:06:42

I would look for 4 or 5 star UVA rated cream which rules out a lot of the big brands. I have a mix of nivea trigger spray (4 star), aldi, boots and asda (all these have 5 stars).

GodLovesATrier Wed 13-Jun-18 23:38:08

Ambre Solaire sprays-no greasy creamy yuckness. V easy to apply regularly and quickly to children who squirm and wriggle. I make my kids wear rash vests and hats as well

dementedpixie Thu 14-Jun-18 07:26:38

Ambre solaire typically has only 3 stars uva rating so I avoid it

borntobequiet Thu 14-Jun-18 08:50:22

Superdrug own brand do just about every type of sun cream inc sensitive, are very good and inexpensive.

CMOTDibbler Thu 14-Jun-18 09:18:16

We use P20 spf 50, and as someone who burns very easily, I can say that it really does work, and stays working even when you are in the water (am a open water swimmer, so spend hours exposed to sun in the water).

I'm also liking the Boots soltan once a day spf 50 face cream as its nice and moisturising. If I want to wear makeup, I'm now using the Ambre Solaire dry face mist in spf 50 which you can spray over makeup and seems effective

SprinkleOfInsanity Thu 14-Jun-18 09:30:04

Ultrasun is fantastic. I often pick it up less than half price in tkmaxx grin

obviouslymarvellous Thu 14-Jun-18 09:40:18

My ds burnt quite badly with p20 last year abroad. I will never use it again! I was really mortified and felt like crappy mum as we reapplied it too during the day. Obviously it didn't suit his skin as my twin dds were ok. We use aldi or Nivea now and don't burn at all. The aldi stuff is fab (I don't use once a day stuff though anymore as I simply don't trust it)

FredSheeran Thu 14-Jun-18 09:46:14

Sunscreen's one of the few things I wouldn't buy in TKMaxx because it has a two year shelf life, and there's no way of knowing how old the stock is - some of the cosmetics I've seen in TKMaxx have to be several years old, going by the packaging. This may be just one of those industry stories to make you buy fresh sunscreen every year but I wouldn't risk it.

Moonkissedlegs Thu 14-Jun-18 09:49:50

Aldi Factor 50 for the kids, factor 30 for us. Non greasy, super cheap so don't have to worry about using too much, 5 star rating, works brilliantly. I don't know why people spend so much on the likes of Ultrasun, Piz Buin etc?

And then rash vests for backs and fronts with the kids as I can't be arsed worrying about it I have missed a spot.

Moonkissedlegs Thu 14-Jun-18 09:50:23

And not the all day stuff because if you have missed a spot then you are screwed!

ShatnersBassoon Thu 14-Jun-18 09:51:43

Superdrug's own is excellent value.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Thu 14-Jun-18 09:59:54

I'm a HUGE fan of P20. Goes on easy, I haven't found it stains, it does its job and doesn't seem to disrupt my skin too much.

IggyAce Thu 14-Jun-18 10:06:41

My DH has to use ultrasun due to his very bad prickly heat.
My DS is allergic to every highstreet brand I tried GP prescribed sunsense which is fantastic and lasts ages.
I've also discovered calypso which is great and very reasonable and best thing is ds is fine with that one. But if we were going aboard I would definitely pay the extra and get sunsense for DCs and I.

Itsautumn Thu 14-Jun-18 10:24:28

Another vote for Aldi. It’s excellent.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: