Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What do I wear to a new school event

(19 Posts)
sartoriallyunblessed Wed 13-Jun-18 14:05:23

DCs start their new school in September and we have a meet & greet event coming up. It's during a weekend so I think that wearing a dress, jacket and heels will look overdressed like I've come straight from the office.

My weekend clothes are based around T shirts and jeans and I think this will be too underdressed for a school occasion.

What is a good smart casual option that you would wear? Please post photos or links as well as I have no clue. I am notorious for getting things wrong and looking out of place.

Thanks!

CloudCaptain Wed 13-Jun-18 14:10:21

I'm planning to go smart casual, jeans or skirt with nice top and leather jacket.

BigFatBloomers Wed 13-Jun-18 14:28:48

Seasalt dress, wedge espadrilles and a casual blazer?

DragonsAndCakes Wed 13-Jun-18 14:29:54

What time of day is it?

LeeshaPaper Wed 13-Jun-18 14:31:04

Could you go t-shirt and jeans with heels (or nice sandals) and a jacket (blazer)

sartoriallyunblessed Wed 13-Jun-18 16:38:06

Thanks all - it's daytime. I like the dress.

YoucancallmeVal Wed 13-Jun-18 18:41:24

Unless your dc are going to a v exclusive school, just clean and tidy is fine (although some of my parents haven't even been that...).

DragonsAndCakes Wed 13-Jun-18 18:49:25

I’d be going nice tshirt, jeans, little bit of jewellery and makeup and blow dried hair. I’d be in the middle of smartness wearing that at our school.

RedAndGreenPlaid Wed 13-Jun-18 18:53:10

I'm afraid it's rather dependent on the school. How formal/casual does the school seem to be?

sartoriallyunblessed Wed 13-Jun-18 20:01:13

It's the type of school that Elizabeth Hurley would send her son to. That's the sort of mum I'm mixing with.

thedevilinablackdress Wed 13-Jun-18 20:28:41

Go as fancy weekend you. e.g bit of makeup, jewellery added to your usual look.

2up2manydown Wed 13-Jun-18 20:38:39

I have been to such an event OP wink

The mums mostly wore dresses and heels.

You don’t need to go full bodycon and boobs a la Hurley but a nice day dress and wedges or heels would be appropriate. I go for wedges in the day because I find them easier.

Not everyone will be super rich or stylish, so don’t worry about that. You will see quite a lot of Isabel Marrant. If you’re anything like me you won’t know that’s what it is until much later, but looking back you’ll realise grin

Discreet but best jewellry.

2up2manydown Wed 13-Jun-18 20:40:09

He dad will be in their off-duty uniform of smart chinos, shirt and jacket.

2up2manydown Wed 13-Jun-18 20:40:30

The dads*

sartoriallyunblessed Wed 13-Jun-18 21:57:14

Yes, DH will be a vision in Gant. grin

sartoriallyunblessed Wed 13-Jun-18 22:01:27

Is this the sort of thing you mean ? 

Ethelswith Wed 13-Jun-18 22:05:25

There will be two tribes, the 'dressed up 'and the 'clean/smart version of what I wear at the weekend anyhow'

I'd go for the latter: white jeans, good top, expensive handbag, sunglasses worn as headband

sartoriallyunblessed Thu 14-Jun-18 06:37:07

White jeans are still very popular round here. My legs are too fat to wear them though!

Yes, a smarter version of me, I think. Thank you!

sartoriallyunblessed Thu 14-Jun-18 06:38:24

Thank you @2up2manydown. Can I PM you?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: