Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Growing hair from a pixie to longer.....what products to use?

(13 Posts)
NotARegularPenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 06:13:34

I currently use wax but as my hair is getting longer I’m not sure that’s the most appropriate thing. It’s currently a short, floppy but bouffount nearly bob length.

I need something to calm it down, give it texture and make it look smoother/neater. What should I be using?

ImgoingtoSHABOOMS Wed 13-Jun-18 06:52:15

The Aveda Light Elements is nice- isn't as heavy as a wax. Just use a tiny bit though.

Chimchar Wed 13-Jun-18 07:08:29

I find the key to growing out a short style is to keep getting it cut... it takes a bit longer to get to your final hair goal, but it keeps the hair looking tidy and styled.

I used to find that as my hair got longer, I didn't need to use much product at all, I just needed to break the habit of using it.

I used to use things like sea salt spray to add some texture, or a little bit of putty texture stuff for style, but it made my hair look very matt.

IsabelFW Wed 13-Jun-18 09:25:41

Huh,, I know the struggle.
I've been growing my hair from short - like very short. And it was so messy sometimes that I wanted to cut it and just to give up...

Contrary to Chimchar - I do use a lot of products. :D

I user a hair mask from yeast and milk before washing it. I also combine rinse , olive and coconut oil. in before washing mask. When I wash it I wash it with special shampoo I made it by myself with nettle, and after washing I rinse it with nettle tea. And my-oh-my, that is doing great job. In the end I use intensive growth spray.
I also improved my diet, and I am taking more food rich in any kind of vitamin B or iron.
I hope I helped you out. smile

specialsubject Wed 13-Jun-18 14:00:35

vitamins dont go in through the scalp. that water with a few chemicals spray is a con.

NotARegularPenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 15:44:22

Thanks all. Will give the light elements stuff a try. I'm happy with my shampoo and conditioner....its just styling it after washing I struggle with.

Chimchar I think you're right and getting it trimmed for a bit more style is probably overdue.

Ducksarsehead Wed 13-Jun-18 19:18:18

I like to use volumising powder atm im attempting to do the same. It seems to bulk out my hair and lets me structure a hairstyle then i use a bit of wax for detail and hairspray to hold it in place

NotARegularPenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 19:54:19

My hairs quite bouffant so not sure I need volumnising powder. I spend all my life trying to calm it down! grin

GinandGingerBeer Wed 13-Jun-18 20:03:45

I'm in the same boat! I use a texturiser by Sebastian somebody! It's from the hairdressers. You need the teeniest tiniest amount but it's great stuff. Bit pricey but will last you a year.
I'll see if I can find it online. .....

GinandGingerBeer Wed 13-Jun-18 20:06:42

It's called micro web 🤦🏻‍♀️
Texturiser is what I put on before blow drying

ImgoingtoSHABOOMS Wed 13-Jun-18 20:07:01

The Light Elements smells amazing too which is a nice bonus

ImgoingtoSHABOOMS Wed 13-Jun-18 20:08:35

Ps. Light Elements Defining Whip is the one that's v good for shorter styles

NotARegularPenguin Wed 13-Jun-18 21:25:52

I’ve ordered the light defining whip and also two other Aveda things, a smoother prep and then a straightener thing. They had a live chat person on the website who recommended the last two when I went to buy the defining whip! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: