Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Cut away dresses

(7 Posts)
OlennasWimple Wed 13-Jun-18 04:10:04

Those ones with random bits missing from them, usually at the front, back or side around the boob area

Can they ever look classy? Or are they doomed to look trashy?

I've found a dress I love, it's the right colours for me, it's super flattering, it's even got pockets!! But the designer has decided to spend money on taking out part of the front... hmm It definitely can't be filled back in with a panel - that looks ridiculous (I tried)

Copperbonnet Wed 13-Jun-18 04:21:45

Well it depends on the dress and how large the cut out is tbh.

You are right though cut out panels aren’t often stylish or flattering.

Can you like to something similar?

rainbowfudgee Wed 13-Jun-18 04:27:59

Could you wear a coloured vest under it?

OlennasWimple Wed 13-Jun-18 12:08:09

It's quite a large triangular cut out at the front - filling in the cut out with something makes it look even more obvious than flesh because the fabric is very patterned

I'll look for something similar, but it's one of those "underboob" cut outs (no top cleavage and maxi dress, so this is the only bit of flesh on display)

Dustbunny1900 Wed 13-Jun-18 16:38:39

Is it like..more obliques-baring/upper ribcage or is it really underboob? shock. Or like solar plexus..I can't imagine underboob displays being flattering on the vast majority of women.

I like cutouts on sleek, form-fitting plain dresses that show a little sliver of side or shoulder or cleavage. I absolutely think it can look great depending on the size of the cut-out, flattering placement, and whether or not the rest of the dress is already revealing.

"Classy" is subjective. But there's no hard and fast rule about cutouts, sure it can look good

OlennasWimple Wed 13-Jun-18 22:45:44

Underboob - and, not to be smug, I do have nice underboob. (The reason the dress is flattering on me is that it covers up pretty much the rest of me - it's a floor length, slight A-Line with a relatively high front and back)

I can't find a similar dress online, but the cut out is a bit like this one but not a deep down (the bottom of the cut out is level with the bottom of where your bra would be) . Or if there was only the top cut out on this dress

Dustbunny1900 Thu 14-Jun-18 18:22:17

Oh ok, well it certainly doesn't look overly risqué , I think the cut
-outs shown on those dresses are tasteful but give it enough edge so it's not like a big dowdy sack. If you got the underboob for it, go for it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: