Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Tights for work in summer?

(8 Posts)
LoveBeingAMum555 Tue 12-Jun-18 23:41:38

I need to be smart for work and have a lot of dresses, mostly tailored or fitted and 3/4 or long sleeved, because my office is never very warm even in the middle of summer. I always wear 40 denier tights and smart shoes too because I don't have great legs and bare legs and sandals just wouldn't work with my work clothes.

I am starting to wonder whether it looks a bit odd wearing black tights when it's warm and sunny outside. Does anyone else have this dilemma? Do I need to invest in some more summery clothes and suitable footwear? What are your suggestions for looking professional in summer clothes?

RoseWhiteTips Wed 13-Jun-18 12:03:10

John Lewis do a 5 pack in a natural shade.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Wed 13-Jun-18 12:05:41

I wear opaque tights all winter, well basically from September to about May. I'm a teacher so probably don't have to be as a smart as you but in the summer I wear more trousers with flats, and shirts or tops.

I do sometimes wear a dress with leggings but I think I only get away with it because I'm in a school and I wouldn't in another workplace, plus it's hardly the height of fashion.

RoseWhiteTips Wed 13-Jun-18 12:08:50

15 denier; nude; ladder resistant; £5

RoseWhiteTips Wed 13-Jun-18 12:09:42

They are beautifully flattering and a great buy.

ChadySharacter Wed 13-Jun-18 13:03:22

Jealous of your cool office.
I wear dresses and always wear nude micronets when weather gets warmer.

LoveBeingAMum555 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:57:57

Thanks, off to John Lewis for tights. Clarks have some nude shoes in the sale, not too pale which might work too. I don't really have summer and winter clothes for work - I just layer with a cardi or jacket if necessary.

MSnotMRS Wed 13-Jun-18 22:48:30

I’m always think black tights look a bit odd past end of May, just too dark and I like to rock bright colours in spring/summer! Just my opinion thoughsmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: