Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Keratosis Pilaris!!!

(45 Posts)
Nutellalovesme Tue 12-Jun-18 18:09:33

Has anyone been able to "cure" or at least reduce themselves of those annoying red bumps?
Just looking for some tips and advice smile

WaitrosePigeon Tue 12-Jun-18 18:35:52

Exfoliating hard!

Lonesurvivor Tue 12-Jun-18 18:37:57

I'm on the Boot Camp low carb high fat diet and it's got rid of mine. I only ever have had it when very over weight which I still very much am.

Nutellalovesme Tue 12-Jun-18 18:47:32

I find exfoliating my arms make the bumps look worse!
@lonesurvivor sounds interesting
even though I eat lots of "good fat" like avocado, oily fish, nuts and the like it doesn't make any difference shock
so wondering if there is any creams that would help

katiegoestoaldi Tue 12-Jun-18 18:54:48

Cutting out dairy got rid of mine, it was like it was never there after a couple of months

TheCraicDealer Tue 12-Jun-18 18:56:21

The only thing that ever helped mine was a cycle of exfoliating and really really potent moisturiser- Diprobase. Aveeno or, what I'm using right now, O'Keefe's. I find mine gets better if I've been in the sun but obviously there's negatives to that as well. Ageing, innit.

haverhill Tue 12-Jun-18 18:58:01

Use a lotion with urea in it.

Nutellalovesme Tue 12-Jun-18 19:22:45

@haverhill what is urea?

butlerswharf Tue 12-Jun-18 19:27:34

Try Korean Italy towels. Look them up on Amazon. They've got rid of mine.

Phillipa12 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:30:44

Aveeno and sunshine have sorted mine and my sons out.

Gwenhwyfar Tue 12-Jun-18 19:53:48

Nutella - I think it's better not to look into what urea is! Just look at the ingredients on the bottles/tubs.
I've found that the Dove shower oil helps a bit. The Korean Italy towels don't do anything for me.

igivein Tue 12-Jun-18 19:55:52

Heel balm creams have urea in and work really well

MargotLovedTom1 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:58:16

Agree with Korean Italy towels.

Confusssed Tue 12-Jun-18 20:22:29

I have tried all sorts incl. Korean towels and various lotions with Urea. I have been trialling Ameliorate Cream twice a day for the last 5 days and my skin is decidedly smoother already (albeit very slightly sore) but I think that means it's working? It says to apply twice daily for a month then drop to once a day.

Cyclingthissummer Tue 12-Jun-18 20:25:01

Heel balm creams - with minimum 25% urea are brilliant for it.

Jonbb Tue 12-Jun-18 20:25:59

Steroid cream, but not for regular use. Try for 3/4 days.

MynameisMaximus Tue 12-Jun-18 20:43:49

Ameliorate body lotion is brilliant and works quickly. Not a cure though as it will come back if you stop using it. I use it on back of thighs and arms and wouldn't be without it now. It's had lots of good reviews here on other threads.

Nutellalovesme Tue 12-Jun-18 20:54:53

Interesting I'll have a look at the urea creams and check out that Korean towel that others have mentioned

WellTidy Tue 12-Jun-18 20:59:03

The urea will be synthetic. I had this for years and it was recommended to me on here to use a body lotion with urea in it. But don’t go for one with too high a urea content, as it will make it worse, not spread or sink in and smell unpleasant. I use one with 5% urea and that is perfect. I think it is by Garnier. I also really rate aveeno.

Nutellalovesme Tue 12-Jun-18 21:31:25

Thanks @welltidy I'll have a look.
I have heard urea was good but had no idea on the content or the percentage to use.

Snog Tue 12-Jun-18 21:34:48

Going gluten free often helps....worked for me

Luxembourgmama Tue 12-Jun-18 21:50:42

Yep high fat diet helps and exercising your arms.

travailtotravel Tue 12-Jun-18 21:56:42

Mine has gone after taking a multi vit all winter and upping my veg intake

ChardonnaysPrettySister Tue 12-Jun-18 21:59:25

The Ordinary Lactic Acid.

CosmoXavier Tue 12-Jun-18 22:07:35

Ameliorate! DS has suffered with this for years and I’ve tried everything. He started using Ameliorate a week ago and the difference is amazing, he has smooth arms for the first time in years.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: