Talk

Advanced search

Are sarongs dated?

(41 Posts)
Badgoushk Tue 12-Jun-18 13:19:03

I'm going on holiday in July, camping in France. The campsite is almost right on the beach so I'm wondering what to wear. I have plenty of swimwear but I'm not hugely body confident at the moment. Do people still wear sarongs? I have some from 20 years ago! Or were they a thing back then but dated now? Thanks.

letsdolunch321 Tue 12-Jun-18 13:22:31

I have three which I wear every time we go away.

I refuse to be a fashion junkie to beach wear.

Have a fantastic holiday

CointreauVersial Tue 12-Jun-18 15:59:29

Sarongs are probably less common nowadays, but I wouldn't say you'd look out of place wearing one.

The more modern equivalent to a sarong would probably be a beach dress like this, with a shirred top. M&S do all sorts of designs, as do next. The straps are removable.

CiderwithBuda Tue 12-Jun-18 16:00:55

I hadn’t seen any around for a few years but Debenhams seem to have some this year to match their swimwear. So I’d say they are still ok.

retainertrainer Tue 12-Jun-18 20:49:44

I saw one lady in a sarong on our recent holiday and she stood out as looking really classy and elegant amongst a sea of crochet/neon cover ups. Go for it.

Badgoushk Wed 13-Jun-18 08:17:20

The thing about a kaftan/cover up is that it doesn't cover my thighs that well, which is the reason I need it! I'm not as worried about the top half. Thanks for the advice everyone. I will have a ponder...

LoniceraJaponica Wed 13-Jun-18 08:24:01

"I refuse to be a fashion junkie to beach wear."

Same here. I still have a sarong that I bought in Bali 22 years ago. I was taught how to tie a sarong in many different ways and I like to show off my sarong tying skills grin

Also, I agree with retainertrainer that they look more classy than many beach cover ups. I will be taking mine on holiday again.

Bluntness100 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:29:50

To be fair yes, I think they are a bit dated now and only worn by women 40 plus on average.

However I agree on not being a slave to fashion, wear what you are happy in, I wear short board shorts normally or a play suit which is designed to dry quickly and shove them on my bottom half if moving about. A beach dress also works well if you wish more coverage.

LoniceraJaponica Wed 13-Jun-18 08:38:19

I am 59. Short shorts are not a good look on me sad

herecomesthsun Wed 13-Jun-18 09:02:15

It is possible to find below knee kaftans or kimono-style wraps, they seem to be fashionable

LoniceraJaponica Wed 13-Jun-18 09:04:53

I prefer to look stylish rather than "fashionable"

MrsMariaPolouvicka Wed 13-Jun-18 09:08:40

I've not noticed them for a couple of years now. For me I'm pale and burn easily and prefer a light gauzy dress which covers from my shoulders down. Maybe this is a reason for others too?

There does seem to be a fashion for lurid neon kaftans as a pp mentioned, and in a cheap material these look truly awful (recent half term beach holiday confirmed this).

I prefer neutral colours in a gauzy semi sheer material (I know these are expensive but pick them up in the sale for next year):
www.thewhitecompany.com/uk/Dobby-Embroidered-Tunic/p/DOCEC?swatch=White
www.thewhitecompany.com/uk/Linen-V-Neck-Dress-/p/VWCSL?swatch=White

Or a shirt dress style in a white or pale blue:
www.thewhitecompany.com/uk/Cotton-Stripe-Beach-Shirt-Dress/p/STCBC?swatch=White+Blue

unintentionalthreadkiller Wed 13-Jun-18 09:10:37

I've just bought a lovely white long shirt style beach dress from M&S.

Bluntness100 Wed 13-Jun-18 09:31:27

Sorry I didn't mean short short, more just above mid thigh, no arse hanging out, but not the kneee length board shorts you see on guys either.

I think the shirred dresses a Pp posted a link to are an excellent alternative. I've a couple of those but more knee length.

Bluntness100 Wed 13-Jun-18 09:34:57

For example I have these from sea folly. Very comfy, easy to shove on over bikini bottoms or a swimsuit and a bit more modern than a sarong.

If you're self conscious about thighs though they won't work,

DianaT1969 Wed 13-Jun-18 09:43:35

I have a white cotton sarong which doubles as a scarf on the plane, plus a blue batik one that is going strong after 20 years.
Get a shell buckle to tie them. Best thing ever. Dirt cheap in places like Thailand.
https://airymary.com/products/sarong-buckle-coconut-shell

Cakecrumbsinmybra Wed 13-Jun-18 09:44:26

I always use sarongs, it didn’t even cross my mind that they might be dated! But then I am in my forties 😂 I love them and have loads from India, Thailand, etc, we use them as blankets to lie on and scarves too. For a cover up I cross the ends over my chest and tie behind my neck like a dress. Hate kaftans, too hot and clingy when you’re covered in cream and sand.

HildaZelda Wed 13-Jun-18 09:53:52

I don't think they're dated. They're in stores again this year. I bought two in Primark last month. I have a couple of cover up/kimono things but find them way too warm abroad to be honest. I don't really cover up on the beach anyway but wan to be able to throw on something if walking up to shop etc.

MrsMariaPolouvicka Wed 13-Jun-18 09:55:13

Yes I meant to say there are plenty of thigh covering options. Also look beyond the "beach cover up" section into the normal dress sections, there are plenty of shirt dresses and tunics around in a thin cotton or linen.

Like these:

www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0612064001.html

www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0666331001.html

goose1964 Wed 13-Jun-18 11:26:33

I love my sarongs too, they're useful. As well as covering up by pool or on beach they make handy cover ups for visiting monasteries or as a cover on the plane

frasier Wed 13-Jun-18 11:30:36

Yes, those crocheted tablecloth things are in but I’ve seen quite a few sunburned patterns shoulders to go with them!

Where your floaty sarongs OP, everyone else will wish they had. else

DarlingNikita Wed 13-Jun-18 11:31:24

I don't think they're dated because I think they're sort of outside fashion. I wouldn't walk down the street at home in one, but on the beach they're a brilliant choice. It's all about context.

MatildaLovesBooks Wed 13-Jun-18 11:32:06

People still wear sarongs! I personally opt for shorts or a playsuit/jumpsuit.

I've seen pictures of Ocean Beach in Ibiza and women wearing sarongs over swimsuits. They can look really stylish. Go for it.

Lucked Wed 13-Jun-18 11:34:40

I usually have a sarong with me even if I have a beach dress. Easier to drape over shoulders or legs to protect from the sun depending on where the sun is and they dry quicker than my dresses as they are a single layer.

catinasplashofsunshine Wed 13-Jun-18 11:42:07

Who cares.

By which I mean wear s sarong - you'll be fashion forward as fashions are circular smile

Not sure what the point of tiny shorts over a swimming costume would be, they provide next to no additional coverage.

I have a sarong I bought in Bali in 1993 grin

I've used it as a skirt, a dress, a curtain, a bed sheet, a towel, then later as a baby carrier and shade canopy for a toddler... They are the best invention ever - I wish

My 13 year old uses it sometimes and her friends want to know where to get one. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: