Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Why are sun hats so difficult to get right!?

(59 Posts)
Kokoloco Wed 06-Jun-18 19:17:41

I've tried a cap. Not good. A straw trilby. Drowned me. So bought what I thought was a reasonably stylish wide brimmed hat home and showed dh and the reaction was underwhelming. "Err, yeah, it's ok. It's just for holidays, yes?"
Definitely not what I would trot about town in but then I can't find anything at all for that purpose. Everything makes me feel and look such an idiot.
The hat was intended purely for holidays, poolside and maxi dresses but now I really don't know if I just look an idiot in this one too.
Please help me find a sun hat! Preferably inexpensive as I don't want to invest much in something I'm struggling with so much!
Btw [[
tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Natural-Large-Brim-Straw-Hat/133280325?searchTerm=:relevance&searchProduct=&istCompanyId=07cf3c1d-7207-477f-aab0-212732e114dd&istItemId=-xrtmrmqiwt&istBid=tztx&mteam=Arg&ch=PPC&med=Shopping&src=Google&acc=S50 - Sainsbury%27s - Tu Clothing&adg=Shopping - All Products - Low&kw=allprods&cmp=Shopping - All Products - Low&mt=&_$ja=tsid:[ACCOUNT_ID]|cid:1331482294|agid:54858060393|tid:pla-293946777986|crid:258967265743|nw:g|rnd:2062726011659612618|dvc:m|adp:1o2|mt:|loc:1006633 this]] is the hat.

Kokoloco Wed 06-Jun-18 19:21:48

link fail

MsHomeSlice Wed 06-Jun-18 19:33:09

i have just ordered one of these in navy ...dh laughed and said "nice hat Margo"

I might send it back.

I am also waiting for a similar one in straw (no crown) to arrive, I intend to tie a scarf around that one to make it more stylish.

idril Wed 06-Jun-18 19:37:22

Oh I like that one MsHomeSlice. I don't get the Margo joke though!!

I agree v. difficult to get nice hat that is comfortable and stylish.

MyDarlingWhatIfYouFly Wed 06-Jun-18 20:03:12

Check out Siggi hats on Amazon. Cheap and some are just about wearable. I really struggle with this too.

IJustHadToNameChange Wed 06-Jun-18 20:09:02

Margo & Jerry Leadbeatter were the Good's snobby friends and neighbours in The Good Life.

The broad brimmed visor is the sort of thing Margo would wear if she were 'slumming it' without wearing a proper hat.

MsHomeSlice Wed 06-Jun-18 20:10:32

Margo from the Good Life used to wear sun hats! ..the correct retort to any Margo type teasing is "that's the last time I play the tart for you jerry!" grin

I am off to look at siggi hats too now.

TheClitterati Wed 06-Jun-18 22:13:07

I have a really big hat. I try on all the sun hats I encounter, and if one actually fits me, and I don't look like a total dogs dinner, I buy it.

I think I might try a visor this year ....

TheClitterati Wed 06-Jun-18 22:13:41

I have a reallyBIG HEAD!!! grin

RoseMartha Wed 06-Jun-18 22:16:09

Me and hats are not friends I like hats but they never suit

Eledamorena Wed 06-Jun-18 22:21:49

I also have a really big head!! I can pull off a hat reasonably well but struggle to find them big enough for my noggin. I usually buy men's hats, but I guess they would look ridiculous on a woman with a normal-sized head! I recently bought a very beachy straw hat from Zara that I love but it would look a bit silly at Tesco or the local park, I fear. Great on holiday though!

ALadyofLetters Wed 06-Jun-18 22:26:31

I agree that it is hard to get right. I thought I’d found a good one but wore it for school pick up and a friend’s husband asked if I was off to the races. Ascot wasn’t really the look I was hoping for.

Kokoloco Thu 07-Jun-18 13:35:35

Do you need two hats? One for holidays and poolside and dresses and one for going about town and the school run? I can cover the poolside part with this one but I don't think I'd look right at school!
Maybe I need to try morestraw trilby hats? I need a smaller one.
Actually a lot seem to be made out of paper?

BumbleNova Thu 07-Jun-18 13:39:44

Gah fellow hater of hats but I really need one too! I saw a lady on the beach yesterday who was wearing what looked like a oversized straw boater. Not only did she not look ridiculous it looked very chic! Very envious. It had a good wide brim, I've been trying to work out where she got it!

SnowOnTheSeine Thu 07-Jun-18 13:43:15

I'd like the answer to this. i rarely wear hats (I had a small head, they drown me) but I'd like to when it's very hot. On the beach I just go for a baseball cap and look silly

echt Thu 07-Jun-18 13:51:06

The only solution is to move to Australia. No-one cares about your sunhat here because lots (though not enough) people wear them/ have a range of different ones.

The hmm reaction the OP is getting is down to hat embarrassment/Fear (by others) Of Making A Hat Statement.

It's the same with sunnies, no-one thinks you're dick for wearing sunnies in winter, because, er... the sun is out, even when it's cold.

<Not entirely helpful suggestions, I'll admit>

goose1964 Thu 07-Jun-18 14:10:15

Think I'm going to order this

www.amazon.co.uk/Siggi-Ladies-Crushable-Fishing-Sunhats/dp/B06XG4LXW8/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=sunhats+for+ladies&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1528376895&sr=8-8

It's small enough to get my tiny blonde in😂

goose1964 Thu 07-Jun-18 14:10:47

Bonce not blonde

Kokoloco Thu 07-Jun-18 22:46:07

joules?
Accessorize?
sainsburys
oasis?
oasis pale?

What do you think of these?

onemouseplace Thu 07-Jun-18 22:50:59

I bought a cheapy Panama at the Flower Show as it was baking and I have surprised myself by absolutely loving it - over the wide brimmed straw hat I had from last year. I wore it all the time on holiday, could just about sit up on my sun lounger and read (which I couldn't in the wide brimmed one as it dug into the backrest) and can actually see myself wearing it on the school run with my normal clothes rather than floaty holiday stuff.

Also, it has an adjustable band inside, so actually fits my head.

FreezerBird Thu 07-Jun-18 22:56:11

I like the pale oasis one OP (from your last post) - but what is going on with it on the model?! It's just perched on the back of her head.

WolfMcWolferson Thu 07-Jun-18 23:01:44

Another one with a massive head. Sigh.

WolfMcWolferson Thu 07-Jun-18 23:03:27

I have a bucket hat which is frequently mocked for being "90s"

acatcalledjohn Thu 07-Jun-18 23:20:26

@onemouseplace My mum bought that one too! I got one too at the show, but mine was more pricey (Powder), also with an adjustable strap. Am more impressed it fits my big head to be honest grin

OP, If you do struggle with hats it is worth the investment if you find a good one. I spent £25 or £30, after finding that cheap high street hats just don't work for me.

acatcalledjohn Thu 07-Jun-18 23:23:02

Hats by Powder

I bought the Natalie.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: