Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Flared jeans, flat shoes? Does it work😄😄

(22 Posts)
Eesha Sat 02-Jun-18 22:28:38

Hi all,

I bought a nice pair of flares just because I liked that boho look, but now realise I’d need heels. Could I get away with flats like Chelsea boots or even converse? At the mo they touch the ground with no shoes.....sorry, might be a thickie question.....!

SunshineOutdoors Sat 02-Jun-18 22:34:57

I used to do this in the 90s and if I walked around in the rain the water would soak up them. I’d also end up with the back of the bottoms chewedup from dragging on the ground. Don’t know what the solution is.

FissionChips Sat 02-Jun-18 22:35:36

Platforms? grin

Eesha Sat 02-Jun-18 22:52:40

I’m being selfish and want to be comfy hence no platforms🙃

WilburIsSomePig Sat 02-Jun-18 23:31:40

I'm not keen on flares and flats, I like the whole flares and wedges 70s vibe. But wear what you feel happy in!

neveradullmoment99 Sat 02-Jun-18 23:45:35

Definitely converse. A bit hippy like. They are perfect with flares. Chunky wedges also good. They needn't be high. Fly London 7cm wedges are good. Plenty of styles.

neveradullmoment99 Sat 02-Jun-18 23:47:14

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QI7HO94/ref=twister_B00R5OBDUK?tag=mumsnetforum-21

neveradullmoment99 Sat 02-Jun-18 23:48:18

Fly London sandals are the comfiest EVER. Those ones are 6cm.
I get tired sore feet but all my fly London shoes could be kept on ALL day.

AlannaOfTrebond Sat 02-Jun-18 23:58:43

I went out in flip flops and flares tonight, have never bothered with heels.

IwankaTramp Sun 03-Jun-18 00:06:25

I THINk flares look better with flats like converse or Birkenstock rather than wedges which always look a bit Kelly Brook.

rightknockered Sun 03-Jun-18 00:14:45

Wedge heels, platforms, chunky trainers, whatever you like, just as long as your flares don't drag along the floor.

ThenCameTheFools Sun 03-Jun-18 00:21:15

Definitely. My teen students are all in flares/wide legs and flats.

Bugjune Sun 03-Jun-18 01:32:09

I've been wearing mine with sneakers for a while now. Looks much fresher and more youthful than heels. And yes, much more comfortable!

ZaZathecat Sun 03-Jun-18 10:38:00

What about flatforms?

Eesha Sun 03-Jun-18 14:04:24

Ooooo flatforms sounds good, I’m off to have a look!

Gammeldragz Sun 03-Jun-18 14:24:08

I wear mine with Birkenstocks but I'm too tall for platforms!

RoseAndRose Sun 03-Jun-18 16:14:28

Prima magazine has had a few articles recently about flares/bootcuts and 'making the most of your curves"

I can't see the shoes clearly, but the brands are M&S and Hotter.

PrettyLittleThings invariably has a longer trouser so shoes are pretty much invisibly, but they look like block heel quite high sandals.

So if you don't think your style is likely to be as recommended by Prima, then yes you may well need to have a length that sweeps the ground, with consequent damage to hem and therefore expected usable life for the gar.

makeupmaven Sun 03-Jun-18 21:15:45

Get them taken up. I wear flares with trainers and other flat shoes, but I do have them taken up so they don't touch the floor and wear out. Only costs about 8 quid near me.

NotMeNoNo Sun 03-Jun-18 21:24:45

Shorten then so they just touch the floor in bare feet then they will be OK in flats. If you are likely to wear them with heels they should be a bit longer. All here http://www.alreadypretty.com/guide-pant-length/

Eesha Sun 03-Jun-18 21:48:16

Great idea to shorten them!

buckeejit Sun 03-Jun-18 23:37:53

If you can stomach fitflops they have a small lift. I live in them in summer as so comfy

Eesha Wed 13-Jun-18 08:04:29

Hi, ended up getting them slightly shortened and now perfect. Did cost more to alter than to buy from eBay but worth it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: