Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help my face!

(6 Posts)
2pointfourmonkeys Sun 27-May-18 22:31:32

38 years of being really slack and lucky and my face is starting to pay.

My skin is blotchy, spoty, flakey over oily, the whole shebang.

As a total newbie to skincare, where do I start? I've always used face wash and a light moisturiser + factor 30 facial suncream in a morning but am less careful at night (i know this is baaaad). In the last few weeks I've been making sure i cleanse tone moisturise at night, but its getting worse. Then catch 22 because I'm wearing more and more make to try and cover it.

In general I eat well, limit processed food, only 2-3 cups of tea per day, plenty of water, exercise regularly.

So what else should I be doing? Should I be using facemasks? What product do you all recommend? How can I tackle the redness?

Thanks in advance!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 28-May-18 08:04:01

Not washing at night is very baaad. My mum doesn’t and has huge pores.

Look at Caroline hirons cleansing cheat sheets, just washing correctly will help the blemishes. She reccomends cleansing balms but I use grape seed oil with vitamin e instead. You can buy it from massage supply companies. Foaming cleansers are very harsh on skin and could be making your skin worse.

Superdrug do a Glycolic acid toner. It’s very effective and usually on offer.

I have oily skin and use a tiny drop of the ordinarys hylauronic acid to moisturise my cheeks only.

I’ve had a lot of acne due to hormones, I use the ordinary salicylic acid all over to prevent them.

Then I use a few drops of the ordinary nicanamide all over to prevent oillines. It heals any acne you have and brightens dull skin.

Then I use spf 50 sunblock.

At night I double cleanse, tone and put a few drops of antioxidant serum on. The ordinary euk or alpha lipoic acid. They reduce inflammation and prevent oxidation.

Once a week I use the ordinary 30% Glycolic peel, it really shifts any loose skin, reduces inflammation around spots. I use it on my under eye area too.

It sounds a lot but only takes a few minutes in the morning and about 10 at night.

WindyBee Mon 28-May-18 09:00:09

I love my Glycolic acid pads. I get mine from superdrug for £5.99 - £2.99 when on offer. Use them teice a day and they have refreshed my skin. It sensitive at times and i was nervous about using them but they don’t sting

I use Nivea Micellar water and eye makeup remover and Clinique liquid soap every 3-4 days with a flannel.

Tend to yss Nivea night cream instead of day cream as my is a bit tight. And coconut oil as a base.
Works for me, and I won’t change it nowz

BangingOn Mon 28-May-18 09:42:59

I’m a Korean skincare convert- it’s made such a difference now I’m putting the effort it. I used to SoKo website’s skincare quiz and went from there.

2pointfourmonkeys Mon 28-May-18 22:12:02

Thanks! Thats really helpful. Ive read some of those cheat sheets and it seems my skincare regime us stuck in 1987!

Now where to start with the 'stuff'... so much to choose from!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 29-May-18 06:59:19

If your anti palm oil check the cleansing balm ingredients, lots have palm oil in them eg Clinique take the day off. I think it’s listed as sodium palmaite or similar.

That’s why I switched to a plain oil.

I used foaming washes till about 4 years ago because that’s what was on offer, the only balm I knew about was eve lom. It was that or Anne French cleansing milk!.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: