Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Covering DH's first greys, what would you/do you do?

(110 Posts)
doubleristretto Sun 27-May-18 19:02:49

DH has short, mid brown hair which goes a bit reddish in the sun. He's got quite a few greys now on the sides and just found one on the top, the horror! I've tried to nudge him towards one of those root filler type brushes but he's not convinced and wants to dye it. I've been trying to find something semi permanent but with no luck so far. What would you use? I'm veering towards a warm dark blonde but they seem really quite dark from the photos and I think it might be too much? I'm terrified of doing a "Trump" with an unconvincing blondy-orangy shade. Thank you for your help.

Ginmakesitallok Sun 27-May-18 19:03:52

What would I do? Absolutely nothing. It's his hair

LighthouseSouth Sun 27-May-18 19:06:28

Tell him not to dye it
It's a lifetime of hassle

I get that he's a bit shocked but give it a few days.

LighthouseSouth Sun 27-May-18 19:07:36

Oh and root filler is just a smaller box of dye!

chickensaresafehere Sun 27-May-18 19:07:47

Leave it alone.
Grey hair (cut well) is very sexy on a man!

DramaAlpaca Sun 27-May-18 19:08:34

Why? There's nothing wrong with going grey. DH has been going grey gradually for the past few years & it really suits him.

franke Sun 27-May-18 19:09:31

Yep, leave it alone. You don't want to him to look like Paul McCartney (before he saw the light).

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 27-May-18 19:11:15

I think dyed hair is very unattractive on a man. Massive double standard I know <twirls tasteful blonde highlights> but there you go.

Paintbox Sun 27-May-18 19:13:03

Don’t dye it!!!!

Twilight456 Sun 27-May-18 19:13:12

I wouldn't want to dye it as i agree a well cut grey hairstyle looks good! However loreal do a 'homme' colour its specifically for men, only comes in base shades so easy to pick one amd it gradually fades out so he wouldn't get roots. I know headmasters salons do it but you might be able to get it online too.

MinnieMinchkin Sun 27-May-18 19:17:06

Seriously!? Does he tell you what to do with your hair? If so, you could both benefit from a less controlling environment!

IheartNiles Sun 27-May-18 19:18:40

Men’s hair never seems to dye well. Always orangey or purply. Leave well alone.

Emma198 Sun 27-May-18 19:18:46

I'd let him be a silver fox

TheCraicDealer Sun 27-May-18 19:22:14

DH has loads of grey hairs- he's only 32 but started going grey in his early twenties. He's got progressively greyer everywhere, especially at his temples- he calls them his Craic Hairs grin I would never, ever ask him to start dying his hair. Firstly it looks well on him so long as it's kept tidy (grey hairs are coarser which is why they stick out more) and secondly it's like painting the Forth Bridge. Constant upkeep for something that often looks a bit shit unless done professionally.

DrDreReturns Sun 27-May-18 19:22:19

I'm a slightly greying man. I'm leaving my hair au naturel. Why do people feel the need to dye their hair as they get older? I'm in my forties I'm going to be ageing a bit.

overnightangel Sun 27-May-18 19:22:38

Leave it grey!

DontCallMeCharlotte Sun 27-May-18 19:32:53

How old is he?

wovendeckchair Sun 27-May-18 19:44:32

let him decide. unless you are seriously committed to regular colouring, it will look artificial when fading out/root regrowth and he'll fool nobody.
same with women who colour their hair.

AnnaMagnani Sun 27-May-18 19:50:28

Ignore it. If he wants to dye it, make him do the work. Hopefully he'll soon give up.

Don't get roped into this as another wifely responsibility.

It's bad enough that the beauty industry makes money out of women dyeing their hair without adding in men as well. But if they are going to, then the men can do the work themselves.

doubleristretto Sun 27-May-18 20:03:01

Goodness, this forum has got a bit judgy hasn't it? I'd expect this on AIBU but I honestly thought this was for style and beauty advice! So... let's imagine I'm asking for myself or for a woman who'd asked for help, any constructive advice?

averylongtimeasspartacus Sun 27-May-18 20:05:46

My advice? What's wrong with grey hair? On either sex. Well cut shiny silver hair looks great.

doubleristretto Sun 27-May-18 20:05:59

Thank you for those who were being helpful wine for you! He's 42 and concerned for his own appearance, I'm neither bullying him into it nor being pressured to help hmm but trying to help him feel better about himself.

EB123 Sun 27-May-18 20:10:22

Grey hair looks much better than dyed hair on a man, that TV isnwhayi would be telling him. My DH is greying and only 32 but it looks sexy

happypoobum Sun 27-May-18 20:15:55

I think it will look far better grey than dyed to be honest.

Eolian Sun 27-May-18 20:16:17

I'd help him feel better about himself by telling him he looks great, that there is no need for him to dye his hair, and that it looks better au naturel. Fwiw I have begun to get the odd grey hair and have no intention of dyeing mine either, so my advice would be the same for a woman.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: