Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What has happened to shoes recently?

(11 Posts)
Wallabyone Sat 26-May-18 21:03:40

I've been looking for a pair of mid-heel, comfortable sandals for a christening and two weddings I have coming up. My feet are a size bigger than usual, and wider too.

It seems as though Carvela/Kurt Geiger/Miss KG and Dune have taken over everything and merged into one. So many of the shoes are synthetic, it's hard to find leather, and the cut across the front is ridiculously narrow and cuts the circulation off to the toes confused

I went to Brent Cross today and found nothing I could actually wear and be comfortable in, without being incredibly frumpy.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Flaminglingos Sun 27-May-18 04:14:10

Try fitflops, they're so comfortable that I've got three pairs and I can walk for miles in them.

www.fitflop.com/uk/en/

IDismyname Sun 27-May-18 05:09:31

I think Clark’s do two width fittings. They may be worth a look.

Clionba Sun 27-May-18 15:03:43

I was going to say, go for Clark's. Leather, breathable and supremely comfortable!

Squ1ggle Sun 27-May-18 15:20:02

How do you feel about wedges? I recently bought the maiden Cross strap wedges from office and they're so soft, they're like wearing gloves. They are a mid heel but they also do the same style in a high heel (Holiday) or a low heel (hallie) and they do several colours in each https://www.office.co.uk/view/search?search=maiden+cross+strap+wedge

Fatted Sun 27-May-18 15:21:53

I think shoes have gone the same way as clothes, cheap and cheerful but the quality is suffering. I've definitely had to go up a width fitting since having kids too.

MrsMaryMooFace Sun 27-May-18 15:30:24

Fashion World online do wide shoes, they have some like the office ones mentioned above but in a low wedge

Notcontent Sun 27-May-18 19:56:58

I agree - kurt Geiger and other similar high street fashion brands used to be good quality, but no longer - many are made from synthetic materials, including something called bonded leather, which isn't real leather at all...

ReluctantlyRedundant101 Sun 27-May-18 19:59:03

Agreed about Dune/ carvela/ KG they seem to be cut very low at the front so no good for those of us with bunions!

happypoobum Sun 27-May-18 20:00:00

I never used to have wide feet but now find I often have to buy "wide" sizes, especially in a sandal sad

Wallabyone Sun 27-May-18 22:41:42

Thanks all. I had a look at Clarks, but they were too casual really. The leather situ is ridiculous; the prices don't seems to reflect the synthetic and cheap materials used either! I'm hoping I go back to my usual size once the baby arrives, and width too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: