Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Shoe lovers - please tell me why

(20 Posts)
Dergadgeghead Thu 24-May-18 20:28:12

I'm particular about shoes and probably have too many pairs, but I can't understand why anyone would love shoes. Finding good ones is a royal pain. Then by the time you realise they're great, they are wearing out and impossible to replace.

Nevertheless I know it's a thing. Can anyone explain it?

ScreamingValenta Thu 24-May-18 20:31:20

One point is that the ability to get into them isn't usually affected by changes to your weight.

goose1964 Thu 24-May-18 20:49:25

Ha I've lost weight recently and none of my shoes fit like they used to.

ScreamingValenta Thu 24-May-18 20:52:28

Really? My weight's gone up and down like a yo-yo over the last ten years or so, and my shoe size is the one constant in my life grin. I've got a pair of boots I had when I was 18 that still fit (I'm now 43).

spewsername Thu 24-May-18 21:04:12

Yep, shoes never make me feel fat like all of my clothes do.
Also some of my shoes are just beautiful.

Idontbelieveinthemoon Thu 24-May-18 21:53:08

I buy shoes because they're beautiful. I don't give a shit about the comfort or the durability, just the fact that they need to be beautiful.

A beautiful shoe is a masterpiece.

Dergadgeghead Thu 24-May-18 21:54:51

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong. Where do you shop for them?

I only ever seem to find them randomly and never when I set out to look confused

LoniceraJaponica Thu 24-May-18 22:08:45

"I buy shoes because they're beautiful. I don't give a shit about the comfort or the durability, just the fact that they need to be beautiful."

Don't you walk anywhere?

I just can't walk in uncomfortable shoes. When I walk I tend to stride quickly, so I only wear heels if I am going out and not walking very far.

I prefer comfort over style.

PNGirl Thu 24-May-18 22:13:22

You can love shoes without loving heels. My favourites are tan lace-up brogue ankle boots, my trainers in interesting prints, Dr Martens... If you have enough or pay enough they take years to wear out but most need reheeling and maintenance.

elephantoverthehill Thu 24-May-18 22:13:58

I own many pairs of shoes, I am on the quest for actually stylish and wearable shoes. The most comfortable shoes I own are crocs and swedish clogs. I have them in many colours but I still search for stylish and comfortable shoes.

duckling84 Thu 24-May-18 22:17:36

I rarely wear shoes that aren't ballet pumps or flips flops but they can still be beautiful. Beautiful shoes don't have to be impractical.
I like shoes because they suit all seasons, never go out of fashion, never get horrible little holes in, and like others have said - have no relation to your dress size.

LoniceraJaponica Thu 24-May-18 22:29:36

Me too elephant.
My problem is that I have narrow heels, and most ballet shoes/loafers slip and behave like flip flops on me. I struggle to find shoes that are as comfortable as Sketchers (yes I know), but look stylish.

elephantoverthehill Thu 24-May-18 22:36:31

LoniceraJaponica Yup I have narrow heels but I am very wide across the toes. I have managed to find two pairs of Clark's boots this year that I can last the day in. One pair is a size 5, the other a 6. confused. I have also learnt, the hard way, is never try on or buy shoes with cold feet.

LoniceraJaponica Thu 24-May-18 22:37:35

Your feet sound like mine elephant. I never have a problem with boots or trainers.

LoveBeingAMum555 Thu 24-May-18 22:40:16

I have problems with my Achilles so can't wear anything too flat.
The best shoes for me have a slight heel and a strap of some sort so they don't slip about. I do a job where I have to look smart but can be on my feet a lot so high heels are out. Finding comfy, practical but stylish shoes can be hard work and I find that price and comfort don't always go together!

Shoes can really make an outfit though. I know someone who wears very simple black or navy outfits to work but always has great footwear.

Freshprincess Thu 24-May-18 22:43:35

I'm not a shoe person either. I've got narrow heels too so Most new shoes rub and are really uncomfortable. When I get a pair that are comfy I wear them to death. I hate shoe shopping.

Dergadgeghead Thu 24-May-18 23:04:02

Actually reading TFT again - looks like there are quite a few are like me: think shoes are important, find it tricky to get good ones, don't enjoy shopping for them.

I agree they can be amazing, so if it's just about aesthetics, the real shame is how small the percentage of beautiful shoes is - I would guess well over 95 in every 100 pairs I see are not beautiful at all. Another 4 don't suit me, or aren't comfortable, or are way out of price range. A recipe for frustration, not love (for me!) grin

Elledorado Fri 25-May-18 10:42:03

Shoes make or break a outfit. Imagine Amal Clooney wearing Clarks' 1 inch round toe pumps to the last royal wedding.

AnaViaSalamanca Fri 25-May-18 11:07:29

those of you who have narrow heels/feet, what shoes do you wear? I have the same problem.

LoniceraJaponica Fri 25-May-18 23:24:33

Not loafers/ballet pumps.
I need shoes that come quite high up over the instep or have a strap so they don't slip, or I wear boots.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: