Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Does anyone on here do their own gel nail colour at home?

(16 Posts)
CocoAndRose Wed 23-May-18 14:06:31

If so can you recommend a good kit to buy please? I've seen a few Instamums/you tubers recommend Blue Sky products but I'm not sure if it really is good or if they're getting paid to say it's good.

Thanks in advance!

summerjq Wed 23-May-18 14:36:40

I used blue sky top and base coat and cco gel colours they're all great and last for ages

CocoAndRose Wed 23-May-18 14:38:20

What brand of UV light do you use? I'm guessing I'd probably need one with the blue sky colours?

jigglepiggle Wed 23-May-18 14:39:29

I use blue sky too. I’d say 95% of the colours are good and some don’t seem to cure properly but maybe that’s just me. I bought the nail lamp and extras from amazon, rather than all together in a kit.

Rainbowcactus Wed 23-May-18 14:40:05

I do, I use the Sensationail lamp (sold in Boots) plus some of their colours; be warned though, the colour in the bottle is different to the package, so I often open it to have a look grin.

Otherwise Blue sky, color99 and violet skies gel colours from eBay are pretty decent.

jigglepiggle Wed 23-May-18 14:41:01

I got the mylee pro 15 second nail lamp from amazon. I’ve only tried the 15 second cure with two colours so not sure if it will work with all of them - but it is amazing!!

Dobby1sAFreeElf Wed 23-May-18 14:54:13

I've used a few lamps but find the Red Carpet one the best. I also use their base and top coat. I find most other brands work well with that combination.

Dobby1sAFreeElf Wed 23-May-18 14:54:30

Brand of colour gel I mean

hartof Wed 23-May-18 15:11:49

I use the Sensational lamp and their primer and base/top coat. I don't like their colours I tend to use Red Carpet which last well.

Movingonup41 Wed 23-May-18 15:16:39

Blue sky here too.

I bought my first varnishes as part of a starter kit on groupon. The pack had the lamp, 6 nails varnishes, base and top coat, the solutions you need and cotton pads.

It might be worth a look as it was much cheaper than buying with other retailers.

I buy my staples like foils and nail files now from amazon.

I love it and it’s so easy to do.

BusterTheBulldog Wed 23-May-18 15:19:56

I have the sensational lamp, blue sky base and top coats but I do stick to geleration fro my colours.

IamEarthymama Wed 23-May-18 15:20:22

What do you all use for wipes
Please?

Rainbowcactus Wed 23-May-18 16:12:49

Buy a big bottle of it from ebay, only costs about £5 and last for ages.

hartof Wed 23-May-18 17:08:07

The Mylee range on Amazon is cheap that's what I use bottle of the cleaner, acetone and the lint free wipes.

summerjq Wed 23-May-18 17:08:38

@IamEarthymama I use blue sky non wipe top coat so once it comes out the lamp it's no longer sticky it's much easier than wiping them

Justwaitingforaline Wed 23-May-18 17:11:37

Sensational over here! I use lint free wipes from amazon and the sensational gel cleanser and primer!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: