Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Royal Fashion

(17 Posts)
WipsGlitter Tue 22-May-18 21:53:01

Could we have a royal fashion thread? Where we just talk about the clothes? No bashing the wearer?!

For starters - love Meghan's hat today and bag, like the dress (appears to have crashed the goat website though!!) but think it was fitted pre-wedding weight loss as it looks a bit big. It's bespoke according to their Instagram page.

NapQueen Tue 22-May-18 21:55:10

The seam across the front of the dress was an odd shape in an odd location I thought, but other than that it was ver elegant. Not a fan of the tights though.

EmpressJewel Tue 22-May-18 22:07:18

I really liked Meghans dress today. The sheer material on the chest and arms was rather risqué for the royal family, but still covered up enough to keep Her Maj happy.

I didn't like the tights either. As a woman of colour myself, getting sheer tights in a decent colour can be difficult as the shades normally don't work with darker skins.

BusterGonad Tue 22-May-18 22:28:53

I loved Meghan's look today (yesterday?) I think with the tights she'll just have to test some shades out to find what suits her! I think she looked great and I loved the photo of her giggling. She's got a very cute but beautiful face.

suchatiredbunny Tue 22-May-18 23:00:47

I think Camilla generally dresses very well, she knows what suits her shape and wears it well. The men must have been hot in their suits!

WipsGlitter Wed 23-May-18 07:24:49

Why were they carrying umbrellas?! It was lovely weather!

Camilla has found a look and sticks to it. I think she looks great.

UpperWallop Wed 23-May-18 07:42:01

Camilla does look great, as does Sophie. In fact, I think she's the best dressed by a country mile. The RIHS dress was a triumph. By contrast, MMS Goat dress just didn't work. The colour was insipid on her and the tights a disaster. She has a limitless budget and access to the world's best designers/advisors - her clothes should be spot on.

I wouldn't give a fig what she wore if she didn't give a fig but clearly, she does like her clothes and fashion, so it's up for scrutinise as far as I'm concerned.

UpperWallop Wed 23-May-18 07:43:03

RHS
Scrutiny

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Wed 23-May-18 07:47:20

The hat was lovely, but the dress looked bulky, as do several of her other choices. So I assume she likes to look that way (and doesn't 'see' it in the way I do)

I haven't seen many pix from the VIP day at Chelsea this year.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 23-May-18 07:47:54

I thought that the cream dress and hat was very safe and very royal family. It screamed welcome to The Firm and was frumpier than I was expecting.

Heratnumber7 Wed 23-May-18 08:03:23

Asa woman of colour myself, getting sheer tights in a decent colour can be difficult

I know she's mixed race, but you wouldn't know it to look at Meghan. Her skin is lighter than mine.

ElspethFlashman Wed 23-May-18 08:05:09

Sophie looks great. I always want to see what she's wearing as her figure resembles my own. Sometimes she goes too far in the boxy Emilia Wicksteed direction but mainly she looks absolutely fab.

I liked Megan's hat and her jewellery is always fantastic, she has lovely earrings on. But I actually think the dress would look much better on Sophie as it needs filling out a bit.

I also don't think her being a WOC is any excuse for those terrible tights as if you look at pictures of her with Camilla, C is wearing the exact shade M should be wearing.

And I'm sure C got hers in M&S or John Lewis or similar.

Mulberrysilk Wed 23-May-18 08:13:06

I wonder if the tights were intended to mirror the sleeves on the dress.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 23-May-18 08:21:47

Meghan needs to wear those nude glossy wolford tights Kate sometimes wears. The dress was by Goat which is a label Kate often wears.

I've noticed that when meghan wears off the peg, even the smallest sizes look a bit baggy on her because she is so slim. She just needs to find a good seamstress to adjust her clothes a bit.

Without question Sophie Wessex is the best dressed. She manages to combine fashionable with royal appropriate.
I think Lady Louise is going to be one to watch. She looked gorgeous at the wedding and aged appropriate.

I really wish the York girls could take some tips from sophie. They both have big bosoms and hips but small waists and long legs. They just do not dress for their shapes. 50's style fashions would be great on them

WipsGlitter Wed 23-May-18 08:25:54

Sophie always looks great! Loved her wedding outfit.

On the Goat insta page it said it was bespoke so no reason for it not to fit.

Rainatnight Wed 23-May-18 08:28:08

WHY does she have to wear tights? Is it a Royal Family thing? Seems a bit mad, especially as she's the first member of the family not to have a complexion like cold milk.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 23-May-18 09:10:48

she's the first member of the family not to have a complexion like cold milk.

Not true, Princess Diana rarely wore tights and she was always tanned

Anyway, Meghan is on a Steep learning curve, but she seems to pick things up quickly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: