Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Tell me what "wonder" products you've been disappointed with...

(60 Posts)
CharlotteTheCharlatan2 Tue 22-May-18 14:00:51

I bought some Elizabeth Earle Cleanse and Polish recently. It was okay I guess but I was expecting so much more given the hype.

I had some de Mamiel Rosey lip balm for Christmas after my friend read about it being the best on the market somewhere. I don't find it any better than my Nivea stick which I picked up from the £1 shop. In fact, if I wear de Mamiel overnight, I wake up with really dry lips in the morning.

I can't get into Aussie shampoo either. I find it incredibly drying.

So, what wonder products have you bought that you've been underwhelmed by?

Lanaa Tue 22-May-18 17:19:38

Loads, I'm a total product junkie but often disappointed. Recent disappointments include:

- The Ordinary. All of it is just crap. Does nothing and once you add up the price of all the things you need, you'd have enough to buy a decent product and change.

- Advanced Night Repair. Did nothing for my skin.

- Better than Sex Mascara. Clumpy and flaky.

- Pixi Glow Tonic. As effective as water.

- Origins Ginzing. Meh

I've actually started to return shit products now. I didn't realise you could do it but most places will take returns without arguing.

ethelfleda Tue 22-May-18 17:25:01

Oh I love Liz Earles cleanse and polish!

For me, I'd say any and all benefit make up I have tried! And that rapid lash stuff that's supposed to make your eyelashes longer and thicker.

JaceLancs Tue 22-May-18 17:59:36

The boots pink curling cream

ScreamingValenta Tue 22-May-18 18:02:47

Umberto Gianni curl wash did nothing for my hair - made it limp and dry. The bottle looks like a giant dildo sitting on the side of the bath sad.

DaisyRenton18 Tue 22-May-18 19:08:26

Nivea moisturiser, the one in the blue pot that everyone else seems to adore...

Also Tigi BedHead shampoo. My poor husband had to use it up because I'd bought it in TK Maxx so it was the biggest bottle of shampoo ever!

Lizardlegs Tue 22-May-18 19:12:15

Oribe texturising spray! I’ve tried it for the first time today and it’s made my hair matted and dull and my roots even more obvious. I can’t believe people pay £30 a bottle for it when Batiste is much better and £2 a pop. Such a disappointment, glad I tried a Birchbox sample before going full size!

vampirethriller Tue 22-May-18 19:16:56

Urban decay makeup, just can't get on with it.
Any of the new fancy Olay products, they all seem to be the same once you open them and the old Beauty Fluid is much better.

UpperWallop Tue 22-May-18 19:21:07

Clarins beauty flash balm.

Touche eclat.

HettyB Tue 22-May-18 19:24:09

Exactly what Wallop said, on both counts. Touche eclat is ok, but wasn’t the miracle product it was hyped to be, on my skin at least.

Also the Clinique 3 step skincare system did nothing for me.

Pancakeflipper Tue 22-May-18 19:25:44

Liz Earle serum
Aussie shampoo - said it makes hair glossy, turns mine in straw.

Goldmonday Tue 22-May-18 19:26:48

Another one for Clinique 3 step

Cleanse and polish was meh

Alienspaceship Tue 22-May-18 19:28:18

Oh god yes, Clarissa beauty flash balm. What a load of shite. The woman at the counter was genuinely gobsmacked that I hated the sample she’d given me.

PurpleDaisies Tue 22-May-18 19:30:36

Pixi glow tonic did nothing for me.

Coconut oil gave me the worst break out since my teenage years.

dontcallmelen Tue 22-May-18 20:08:15

John Freida blonde shampoo, makes my hair like straw.
Touché eclat, an never get it to blend in.
Benefit mascara takes about two weeks to remove.
Not that impressed with the ordinary stuff, doesn’t appear to have made any difference.

OhHolyJesus Tue 22-May-18 20:23:49

Any cleaning conditioner that you apply before or instead of shampoo. They all make my hair look horrendous.

A charcoal face mask, no better than clay ones and made a terrible mess as I had to mix it up from a dust and it went all over my white sink.

So many fake tans I've lost track...

hownowpowpow Tue 22-May-18 20:29:38

Joico blonde life shampoo and conditioner. The only ones to use according to my hairdresser. I think my hair has gone brassy faster than normal. Back to bring a brunette on next trip to the salon.

Also agree on the touché eclat, the ordinary and pixie glow.

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Tue 22-May-18 20:45:36

Kerastase spray a porter. Expensive and crap. I've been really disappointed with every kerastase product that I have used.

All the benefit mascaras; roller lash stand out as being particularly awful.

Bobbi brown eye repair cream. Did absolutely nothing!

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 22-May-18 20:49:10

Eve Lom cleanser, I had been looking forward to trying it for ages and it gave me huge, itchy hives all over my face. Also had a similar outbreak with Pixi Glow Tonic and rosehip oil.

rosesandponies Tue 22-May-18 20:51:43

Touche Eclat - nope. Especially on darker skins, don't know why they bothered doing darker shades

dudsville Tue 22-May-18 20:55:32

Clarins beauty flash bomb here too. I'm using it up as a weekend or nighttime serum but I don't rate it.

Laiste Tue 22-May-18 20:57:45

Yes! I'd forgotten about the amount of £££ i wasted last year on a bottle of Kerastase hair oil! Smelled divine, but no better than a palm full of cheapo olive oil angry

Touch eclat - yep, another disappointment. Was years ago though ...

Most of the 'stay on look lovely all day won't dry your lips though' lipsticks. IF they stay on they DO dry my lips.

Chanel nail polish. It chips as fast as rimmel anything cheaper.

PsychoPumpkin Tue 22-May-18 20:59:45

I got a small tester of creme de la mer cream. It looks and smells exactly like the blue Nivea pot and I was half expecting to turn into a mermaid, but alas, it works just like any other cream.

Laiste Tue 22-May-18 21:00:03

A posh St Tropez self tan £££ from boots = streaky brown mess.

(I get one from Savers for a pound a tube now which looks great and everyone goes and buys when i say what it is)

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Tue 22-May-18 21:00:11

Steampod
Touche Éclat
Elixir Ultime
Dream Cream
Flash balm
St Tropez
That Boots eye serum

I'm really a bit of a sucker for a big promise.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: