Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

13 yr old girl , where to buy lovely clothes ?

(60 Posts)
SirVixofVixHall Tue 22-May-18 13:38:39

Dd is 13, tallish, very very slender. Up until now she has worn a lot of Petit Bateau, Miller, I love Gorgeous, Jigsaw. I have a smaller daughter so things get passed down and so I like to buy good quality things that last well, I am a good sale shopper ! I am boycotting TopShop due to their changing room policy, but anyway their things are so badly made and the fabric isn’t great.
So where do I find natural fibres, nice quality things now that she needs a very slim cut age 14 size ? I don’t want her to look too grown up too soon, but I want things that she will love too, obviously. A lot of things I like seem to stop at age 12. She seems to be living in skinny jeans because she’s sunning out of clothes.

teta Tue 22-May-18 15:02:24

Mine seems to get most of her clothes from Depop these days. She sells clothes on that she’s bored with or worn a few times and then buys new things. It doesn’t help she goes to a school where they all wear expensive sports wear and no uniform.
Other than that Hollister,ASOS, H&M,Pink underwear, occasionally eBay.
I haven’t bought her clothes for a long time but she is happy for me to tag along for my money.

Hellsbellscockleshells Tue 22-May-18 15:59:22

JohnieB Biden do natural fibres sometimes their will be the odd piece that you are both happy with.
Most girls that age live in skinny jeans and they don’t want to be different from their peers.

robotcartrainhat Tue 22-May-18 16:04:26

Zara? Love their design but the quality can be hit and miss.

Wittow Tue 22-May-18 16:09:51

what's top shop's 'changing room policy'?? My DD is nearly 10 and says it is a 'life goal' to shop there! haha hmm

namechangerstranger Tue 22-May-18 22:34:50

New Look do teens up to 15 in their 915 range. Not many natural fibres but very similar to topshop (and of course cheaper so if it's just for the summer whilst she's growing.) Otherwise lots of younger women's fashion/ high street brands do size 6.

Do you buy for her ? I wanted to choose myself at 13.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 22-May-18 22:54:14

Boden is huge on her, I can buy jumpers but not much else. They have also pretty much stopped their teenage range. She does have the odd thing from Zara but the quality, as you say robotcratrainhat, is hit and miss, and the things are often huge on her. I have to size down but can’t do that with things where the length matters. New Look stuff is so synthetic and badly made.

I buy for her mostly, because we live very rurally so it is all online shopping. I usually buy a few different things and she chooses, or we look together online. She isn’t clothes mad yet, but also we tend to like the same things. We have rows about school stuff ( the shortness of skirts, like every teenager ) but we don’t have disagreements on out of school clothes.
Oh and the skinny jeans thing is fine, but she needs new clothes and would like other things as well, dresses, shorts, tops. Swimwear is sorted as I buy from Lands end in the US, they are one of the only places to make slim fit swimwear.
@Wittow they changed their policy so that anyone can use the changing rooms, because of complaints from a man who is “gender fluid “ and wanted to use the female changing rooms. As they often have flimsy curtains and are staffed by bored teenagers, I am boycotting them. Quality not good anyway.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 22-May-18 22:55:32

Hollister not really her style, so she hasn’t tried it for fit.

BillywilliamV Tue 22-May-18 22:57:57

13yr old girls dont want lovely clothes, they want belly tops and Shaun Mendez teeshirts and dresses that are too short. New Look is the place, at least its cheap!

rideacockhorse Wed 23-May-18 10:15:27

You could try fat face kids 12-13 might be too small, but they also do size 6 in women's

Or try white stuff or crew clothing ( not sure they do a 6) or jack wills if after preppy in quality fabrics

teta Wed 23-May-18 10:19:21

I agree with billy. Good quality clothing for 13 year old girls is pretty pointless as fashions and teenage trends change so quickly.

user1499173618 Wed 23-May-18 10:22:21

My 13 year old DD gets nearly all her clothes from Bellerose (a Belgian brand). They do a range of styles but, by choosing carefully, she has a great wardrobe. I also bought her some cute t-shirts in Kitri recently.

Tp4mybung Wed 23-May-18 10:44:00

Ralph Lauren go up to age 14. DD is younger (almost 8) so can't comment on sizing for the teen sizes, but she is very tall and slim and the length when I go down a size for her is plenty long enough.
Had some lovely dresses, skirts and blouses from there and I've always been impressed with the quality - no holes after washing/shrinkage etc. In fact, we get nearly everything there since we realised they were the only items of clothing surviving more than a few months!

Jack Wills clothes come small enough for teenagers too, and the quality is good. Not sure about the typical hoodies/sweatpants, but I've had some nice skirts and dresses from there that have held up well.

Cath Kidston? Olive clothing? The White company? All go quite small and worn happily by my petite 14yr old niece! Though I feel my suggestions might not be "trendy" enough for your daughter, all very high street.

Boo to people saying teenagers don't want lovely clothes - I would have sooner died as a 13 year old than been seen in a belly top or band t-shirt. I discovered early on that I could sell my good quality stuff on eBay when I grew out of it/got bored of it - nobody wants faded old throw away fashion second hand! I even profited selling on some TK Maxx bargains after several years of wear.

user1499173618 Wed 23-May-18 11:14:04

Another thing - I find Zara quality perfectly acceptable for shorts and jeans skirts (overdyed) and they are cheap and well cut. So you can save a bit on those items while investing in lovely tops from Bellerose!

My DD looks lovely in:
www.bellerose.be/products/adriane-f1451-blue
www.bellerose.be/products/mogia81-t1063-frite
www.bellerose.be/products/doner-k0739u-urban

SirVixofVixHall Wed 23-May-18 14:57:04

She is very much not a crop top sort of girl ! Jack wills not her style but I’ll have another look as maybe there will be something.
She likes Bellerose, so I will go and hunt, I’d forgotten about it, as the website I used to buy it from ceased for a while (Elias and Grace) .
I do want to buy good quality things as they get passed down. Also she is getting taller but not wider, so tops will last years.
Cath Kidston she likes, she has some dresses, the size 6 is roomy but I can take dresses in. Never heard of Olive so will go and google. Zara is often so huge on her that is isn’t alter able. But I’ll go and look now as she really needs shorts.
She doesn’t do that US vaguely sporty thing at all. She either looks like a 1970s teen in jeans and nice jumpers, or she is in pretty vintage stuff. Or a matelot top with jeans or shorts. She hates logos. She has some stripey tops from Polarn o Pyret , they stop at a 10-12 but are really generous.
I’m going to go and look at Olive, Bellerose, and a couple of the other things suggested. Am grateful for the posts, thank you everyone so far.

SirVixofVixHall Wed 23-May-18 15:00:04

User1499173618 love the blue and the yellow in particular, thanks v much to you and the other pp who reminded me of Bellerose.

DuchyDuke Wed 23-May-18 15:03:42

Any designer shop that does a UK women’s size 0-4 should be ok.

user1499173618 Wed 23-May-18 15:10:06

I used to love Elias and Grace! They did a great curating job on the European brands, creating a modern version of classic childrenswear which, tbh, I find more relevant and wearable than the Bonpoint/Amaia/LaCoqueta look, however adorable that may be in pictures of the Royal family and Instagram mums.

SirVixofVixHall Wed 23-May-18 18:20:50

Yes, they have a website again now, although with fewer things on it. I lived in North London before moving to the back of beyond, so I bought things for dd from the shop when she was a baby.

BubblesBuddy Wed 23-May-18 18:30:13

Abercrombie and Fitch, Zara, Hollister, River Island, Gap.

BeachyUmbrella Wed 23-May-18 18:50:38

Brandy Melville?

Pull and Bear?

BradleyPooper Wed 23-May-18 18:54:57

My 13 yo lives in Brandy Melville...

BradleyPooper Wed 23-May-18 18:55:38

.... and small sizes from the adult selection at Gap - she's a 2 and is average build / height

Racecardriver Wed 23-May-18 19:01:02

Joules has very childish clothes for women and the quality is usually good and cut quite long. But it often over branded (good only knows why), not sure if they do it small enough for her though. Maybe she could take up sewing? I am quite tall myself and find that it is just easier to make clothes rather than trying to find ones that fit. If it's actually quite easy if you start with some simple beginners patterns.

Lovemusic33 Wed 23-May-18 19:07:37

I stopped buying good branded clothes for my dd’s, used to buy Biden, Zara etc.. but none of them fit anymore (dd2 is 12 but very tall), most of their clothes comes from Next, primark, new look and some sportswear (Nike leggings), none of their friends wear designer clothes, they get more excited about buying something cheap than buying something designer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: