Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Anyone else find they can no longer wear a crisp white shirt as they get older?

(67 Posts)
JessiCake Thu 17-May-18 10:40:28

Obviously I still CAN, in the sense of the fact I can put one on and do up the buttons etc... but these days it just makes me look and therefore feel shit!

A lovely crisp white shirt, usually man's-style, was the absolute staple of my wardrobe in my late 20s and 30s. I love minimalist style and it just worked with everything else I used to wear.

It's only now that I've realised I have 4 or 5 of them languishing in the wardrobe that I haven't worn for a good 5 years. I've put them on occasionally and then had a rapid re-think when I looked in the mirror!

They just drain me, whereas in the olden days (!) they used to frame my face really well.

I'm only bloody 41! Is there hope on the white shirt front? Anyone have any ways to get around this? I did try putting one with a lovely chunky turquoise necklace but that just looked like I knew the shirt made me look shit and was trying to brighten it up with a lovely chunky turquoise necklace. confused

Lupercalia Thu 17-May-18 10:43:20

I am 50 and live in them - string of old pearls, open necked, sleeves up, messy long blonde hair, tiny bit of fake tan moisturiser.

WinnersClub Thu 17-May-18 10:44:13

hmm..I'm 50 and still wear crisp white shirts. If you feel you look 'drained', just apply some more makeup? you're 41! of course you can still wear them. I'm rocking my to the grave.

WinnersClub Thu 17-May-18 10:44:38

cross posts with luper great minds!

JessiCake Thu 17-May-18 10:45:13

Damn you Lupercalia!! That sounds great, and just the sort of look I want to nail. I wear my hair up all the time, though, but it IS messy grin

Maybe it's cos I'm pale? Do I need to tan my face up a bit? Hate fake tan as I can never get it right, not even the gradual daily kind you build up.

JessiCake Thu 17-May-18 10:46:20

Ahhhh more makeup... could it be as simple as that? I do ALWAYS look better/less drained with eyeliner so maybe I should trowel a bit more of that on and try again...

Kocerhan3 Thu 17-May-18 10:52:46

Maybe opt for a tinted moisturiser in a shade darker than your usual foundation/concealer to make it pop rather than fake tan if you don't feel comfortable with that? Also better on the skin smile

steppemum Thu 17-May-18 11:09:52

Are you very stressed at the moment?

I remember my mum, I had been living overseas and came back and thought she had aged really badly when I was away, she looked drawn, and skin poor, and just rough, even with normal make=up etc.

She had a great job, but was burning out, and was then signed off. A few months later she looking 20 years younger.

Our skin/face/look is sometimes indicative of something else?

steppemum Thu 17-May-18 11:14:08

I did try putting one with a lovely chunky turquoise necklace but that just looked like I knew the shirt made me look shit and was trying to brighten it up with a lovely chunky turquoise necklace.

That did make me laugh!

JessiCake Thu 17-May-18 11:16:17

steppemum grin no more stressed than usual!

In all honesty I don't think it's that, my skin is (honestly!) in pretty good condition, really rather glowy (thank you Emma Hardie face balm...) and I've recently had my greys faded out with a gloss that's FAR more flattering to my skin-tone than my old mouse colour.

Think maybe I do just need to up the makeup and I like the foundation suggestion above, thank you!!

rightknockered Thu 17-May-18 11:16:53

Oh no, don't say that, I'm 40s and have started preferring white shirts to t-shirts. I think they look better on me than t-shirts, especially 'statement' t-shirts that are everywhere at the moment.

JessiCake Thu 17-May-18 11:18:18

I bet you look FAB rightknockered! I think it's only me that has the problem!

steppemum Thu 17-May-18 11:19:13

I have to say I bought my first crisp white shirt for years recently, and it is a positive move on from T-shirts and fleeces. I am trying to look a bit more together, I am 51!

Dozer Thu 17-May-18 11:20:51

White only suits certain colourings anyway.

I could never wear “crisp” shirts, they’re not great for big boobs IMO.

steppemum Thu 17-May-18 11:23:23

Dozer - yes I agree. find your colour, and as I've got older I've realised that I do need to stick to the good colours for me and I can't get away with the ones that don't work. eg I can't wear grey ever at all, not even with a lovely necklace!

JessiCake Thu 17-May-18 11:24:19

Dozer, ah, I am pancake-chested with HUGE shoulders so the collar aspect of a nice shirt always used to sort of break up my manly upper body a bit. T-shirts can make me look like a rugby player, which isn't a look a particularly favour...

Saltcrust Thu 17-May-18 11:24:44

Exactly the same here Jessicake - could have written your post ... .

Complexion thing + boobs too large nowadays (and I am too fat overall) so end up looking like a baker grin. I could cry because I have some lovely Thomas Punk double cuffed numbers hanging in the wardrobe which just gape at the front now sad

Nowisthemonthofmaying Thu 17-May-18 11:26:39

Fake tan is your friend here. I love white shirts but white doesn't suit me at all so I have to wear make-up otherwise I look washed out.

Saltcrust Thu 17-May-18 11:28:07

I also look better in a collar because of my poor posture. Have converted to the thin shaped jersey long-sleeved polo shirts from Esprit/Pure Collection as I find they are more forgiving across the chest.

Saltcrust Thu 17-May-18 11:29:06

Thomas Pink not Thomas Punk ... obviously! grin

SluttyButty Thu 17-May-18 11:42:54

I'm 50 and currently in a panic because I managed to rip beyond repair my favourite white, oversized, boyfriend/man style shirt and I can't find another one ANYWHERE confused

lurkingfromhome Thu 17-May-18 11:42:56

I have NEVER looked any good in a crisp white shirt, sadly. Pale with biggish boobs and it's not a good look.

TheHonGalahadThreepwood Thu 17-May-18 13:02:58

Why don't you just switch to wearing shirts in a different colour? It sounds like it's the white bit rather than the shirt bit that isn't working just now. I'm wearing a soft shirt in grey/blue from Mint Velvet right now and it is an absolute wardrobe staple. Also a fan of navy shirts, and have various other colours.

RaininSummer Thu 17-May-18 13:10:54

I have never been able to wear white anything other than underwear, totally drains me and I am a grubby messy person so a bad idea. It saddens me that now i am older, I can't even wear the black I lived in when younger as it makes me look dead. i am all over grey, claret, green, purple and pink these days. Would love to find longish shirts that fit large boobs but are also nipped in at the waist (and in great colours/patterns) if anybody has any links.

wellhonestly Thu 17-May-18 13:26:05

My skintone suits white, but unfortunately my figure doesn't suit white on the top half (50+, broad shoulders, hips smaller than they used to be) - white shirts just make me look MASSIVE now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: