Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Dry shampoo makes my hair grey

(33 Posts)
Youthgonewild Fri 27-Apr-18 09:51:08

I bought some dry shampoo for those mornings I don't have time to wash my hair. I like the way it feels but the downside is that I have dark hair so I end up grey!!!

Am I doing it right. The grey doesn't tend to brush out so I end up rubbing a towel over my hair til it comes out.

I'm in Work atm and I'm convinced I have a grey streak at the back of my head that I can't see grin like a poor man's Cruella De Ville!!!

So, is there a technique to applying it or am I spraying it too close (I'm usually a good few inches away from my head when I use it)? Help!!

bassackwards Fri 27-Apr-18 09:52:52

Batiste do one for dark hair

LoveInTokyo Fri 27-Apr-18 09:53:50

First of all, try doing it at night rather than in the morning. The grey residue should rub out of your hair during the night.

Secondly, Batiste do a dry shampoo for brunettes, so maybe you could give that a try.

Thirdly, try other brands. Klorane do a good one bit it is a bit more expensive.

MrsJayy Fri 27-Apr-18 09:53:54

You need to spray it further away and rub it in /comb it through and you don't need alot

Youthgonewild Fri 27-Apr-18 09:54:19

Darn I wish I'd knows about that!! Thank you that will probably help a lot.

Mine is a Batiste one, pink can, not sure which one it is confused

MrsJayy Fri 27-Apr-18 09:55:21

I use the Aussie one it is better imo than bastiste

MrsJayy Fri 27-Apr-18 09:56:20

Urgh spelling but you know the one I mean

MoonlightBay Fri 27-Apr-18 09:58:05

Be careful with the brunette one. It leaves brown marks on your face.

cloudtree Fri 27-Apr-18 10:00:13

This shouldn't come as any great surprise really since you're just spraying the equivalent of talc onto your hair to soak up the grease.

I have some I use for emergencies. Spray it on, leave it for a few minutes and then really rub it in. I find it helps if I hang my head upside down when working it in

TheIsland Fri 27-Apr-18 10:01:34

Rub/brush/comb it in

Youthgonewild Fri 27-Apr-18 10:02:13

Thanks all for the replies. As I've got 90% of my spray left I will continue to use it as I hate wasting things.

I think I will do as PP suggested and spray it on at night, further away from my head as I have been doing, comb it through then sleep on it smile hope it works!

I may try other brands in future, I do love a good Aussie product. I only really knew about Batiste up til now and I picked mine up on the offer aisle in Lidl.

NinaMarieP Fri 27-Apr-18 10:02:48

Comb it through and then blast it with the hair dryer. I'm dark blonde but even I get white streaks unless I blow dry it in.

MrsJayy Fri 27-Apr-18 10:04:22

I had really greasy hair as i hit puberty as you do and mum used to put baby powder through my hair I remeber the talc cloud shock

cloudtree Fri 27-Apr-18 10:05:38

If you're going to do it at night why wouldn't you just wash your hair?

Ellapaella Fri 27-Apr-18 10:07:56

I can't get away with dry shampoo. It just goes flaky and looks like dandruff! Also make my hair look grey.

MrsJayy Fri 27-Apr-18 10:09:42

It gives my Dd a flaky scalp she can't use it either

Ellapaella Fri 27-Apr-18 10:09:52

In regards to washing hair dry shampoo isn't just used as an alternative to washing, I think a lot of people use dry shampoo to get more volume at the roots, you spray it on and back comb (this is why I've used it).

Youthgonewild Fri 27-Apr-18 10:12:34

@cloudtree, depends what time I get myself off to bed etc. I don't usually get finished with 'tasks' til around about 9/10pm by which point I'm too knackered to shower at night

LoveInTokyo Fri 27-Apr-18 10:18:58

If you do it just before you go to bed when your hair is still reasonably clean, you know you will get another day before you need to wash your hair and so you can set the alarm for half an hour later! wink

I tend to use it as prevention of rather than cure for greasy hair.

Youthgonewild Fri 27-Apr-18 10:22:40

That's my plan @LoveInTokyo, I only ever use it once, go to work with it in, and then the next day (so tomorrow in this case) is definite hair wash day! It's also Saturday which means I'll actually have time to style my hair in the morning grin

NB: I do shower every morning, I just don't always have time every morning to wash my hair

LoveInTokyo Fri 27-Apr-18 10:25:19

I find if I wash my hair on the morning of Day 1 and then spray a small amount of dry shampoo before bed on Day 2 (never brush it out), my hair still looks freshly washed on Day 2.

Sometimes I go for Day 3 as well.

My hair is quite thick though.

LoveInTokyo Fri 27-Apr-18 10:26:44

Sorry, got my numbers wrong.

I do it at night when I have washed my hair that morning to get Day 2 hair.

Youthgonewild Fri 27-Apr-18 10:40:45

Ah, I usually wash my hair every other day but if I get up late and don't have time I will dry shampoo. But never more than once before I wash it out again as I fear I will end up with a flaky head smile

SluttyButty Fri 27-Apr-18 10:55:44

I actually prefer Asda's own brand dry shampoo over batiste.

LoveInTokyo Fri 27-Apr-18 10:56:31

TMI alert.

I have never had a flaky head as a result of using too much dry shampoo or going too long between washes.

What I have had once or twice is a slightly sore scalp, which was because my scalp really needed a good scrub because I hadn’t washed it in four days but my hair still looked OK in a ponytail.

Slight digression, but I wouldn’t worry about flakes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: