Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How to get some texture to long hair instead of being poker straight?

(12 Posts)
labradorcuddles Thu 26-Apr-18 20:47:12

I have longish hair which isn't the thickest.

I have to straighten my hair after drying to get rid of frizz but I hate having straight hair. I just want a bit of texture or body or a kink.. anything!!

Any ideas? I can't curl with straighteners so that's out of the question!

FabalaTheGreenGirl Thu 26-Apr-18 21:18:44

Have you tried a diffuser?

labradorcuddles Thu 26-Apr-18 21:38:16

Yes it makes my hair straggly and awful

moreismore Thu 26-Apr-18 21:42:07

I have super straight hair and the only curl it will hold is with one of those three prong slightly-less-intense-than-a-crimper things... if you do it lightly it makes quite nice beachy waves and it’s fairly quick

TyneTeas Thu 26-Apr-18 21:48:01

Have you tried plaiting it while it is still a bit damp?

searchforshinyhair Thu 26-Apr-18 21:55:01

I blow dry mine straight then leave in a plait overnight then take out in the morning it's nice and wavy 😊

TheFutureMrsB Thu 26-Apr-18 21:57:29

I put mine in a bun over night similar to the pp with the plaits, it's nice and wavy in then morning

labradorcuddles Thu 26-Apr-18 22:34:19

I've tried a plait but my hair just looks crappy and lank. I don't think my hair is thick enough to pull of a plait type wave.

I could try a bun but how would you sleep with hair in a bun? Isn't it uncomfortable?

bananamonkey Sat 28-Apr-18 11:13:22

Salt spray and scrunching once nearly dry works for me for texture, I’d love perfect beach waves but no idea how to get them

FootnerFace Sat 28-Apr-18 11:50:36

The bun would be very high like a ballerina and yes i sleep ok like that, wash it at night and let it set in a bun which coiled and twisted of my crown area.

LoveInTokyo Sat 28-Apr-18 14:13:49

Do you want waves/curls, or just a bit of volume?

I would blow dry your hair with a barrel brush and clip each segment up around a Velcro roller for a bit.

Then you’ll have straight hair but with lots of root volume and much more movement to it.

Tinkerbellx Sat 28-Apr-18 14:23:02

I bought some curling pods having failed miserably and trying curls with straighteners and heated rollers .
I put them in most weeks now they are ace !
Pop about 12 in to dry hair .... roll up and pop closed .
I leave for about 20 but work in less .

Once out they look really tight and almost too curly but I run my fingers through and my fine limp hair is honestly full thick and I love it !
Sometimes I just put the pods in half way down too x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: