Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Sandals with decent ankle support!

(9 Posts)
Flowersonthewall Sun 22-Apr-18 09:54:47

Hi

So all week (well since the suns been out) I've either worn flip flops or cheap sandals which don't given any support anywhere near the ankle and over the weekend my ankle has been giving me issues and I think it's down to bad footwear! Any recommendations for decent wideish sandals that don't look like I've raided my nans shoe cupboard! Oh and nothing crazy expensive either! I went shopping yesterday and couldn't find anything in next, debenhams or Clark's!

Thanks x

iffyjiffybag Sun 22-Apr-18 10:04:19

Do you have an injury or underlying medical condition, OP? Because if you do it may be better to consult a GP to look at the cause of your ankle issues.

Flowersonthewall Sun 22-Apr-18 10:05:47

True, I should check it out first...getting a doctors appointment is like getting gold dust! Back to boots anyway today with the rubbish weather!

DancingLedge Sun 22-Apr-18 10:07:22

Apologies for posting on your thread when I don't have any good sandals to offer.
But, I have gait/walking/leg issues, and have discussed footwear and its effect on how I walk, and consequently how painful my legs are , with biomechanics guy at hospital. And for me, how I move my feet when walking affects my legs, and the single most important issue is the support given by the footbed.
So sandals with good arch support, rather than flip flops, may help your ankles.
Which is good news, because direct ankle support, kind of by definition, means boots.

DancingLedge Sun 22-Apr-18 10:10:02

I look at sandals designed for walking this sort of thing

DancingLedge Sun 22-Apr-18 10:19:18

Sorry for multiple posts, brain not yet fully awake.
The other plus about buying proper walking sandals, from an outdoors shop, like Cotswold, or Go Outdoors, is that you can buy them, wear them around the house a little bit ,and if they cause you problems, you can return them(if still in saleable condition). Because the shops have to offer this for people buying walking boots, you can't really tell the effect of footwear on your legs until you've had them on for a couple of hours.

Flowersonthewall Sun 22-Apr-18 20:27:02

Thanks for the advice guys

goose1964 Sun 22-Apr-18 21:21:52

I read earlier that birkenstocks soft footbed are very good for ankle support

like this

goose1964 Sun 22-Apr-18 21:24:28

site won't let me post a links but if you google arizona soft footbed it comes uo

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: