Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

My Birkenstocks have bruised me! (Tough sandal recs needed).

(45 Posts)
pigmcpigface Fri 20-Apr-18 09:56:42

I walked 5 miles yesterday in Birkenstock sandals and I have a massive and very sore bruise under my foot! It hurts!

As I said on my other thread, I'm going to Italy this summer. DH tends to be very big on walking around, and if previous holidays are anything to go by we will do between 6 to 15 miles a day on foot.

I need some sandals that are tough enough to hold up to this, and cushioned enough not to give me bruises, but that still look relatively smart and elegant. I'd really appreciate some help!

goose1964 Fri 20-Apr-18 10:13:51

There's a few threads on comfy sandals, I think hotter tourist came out well. Have you broken your Birkenstocks in? You need to gradually wear them for longer periods before going for a major walk. I forgot to do this with one of my pairs and had sore soles of my feet.

pigmcpigface Fri 20-Apr-18 10:17:09

Yes - I've worn them for years, but I noticed last year that I was hurting underneath my feet when I wore them for shorter periods. This time, it's a huge bruise. I was carrying a very heavy rucksack, which I think might have exacerbated the problem.

tdm1 Fri 20-Apr-18 10:18:04

Don't know if they'll stand up to quite such long distances, but I love my Keen Clearwaters.

TheFaerieQueene Fri 20-Apr-18 10:20:02

Teva might work for you.

sherrifffatman Fri 20-Apr-18 10:21:25

I have Teva Kayenta they are so comfortable!
I'm on my second pair now

pigmcpigface Fri 20-Apr-18 10:21:59

FaerieQueen - I have some Tevas, they are excellent. Mine are very 'sports shoe', though. I am hoping for something that looks OK for dinner in a restaurant as well as for trekking about IYSWIM.

dinosaurkisses Fri 20-Apr-18 10:22:51

Have you tried the soft-bed Birkenstocks? They’re next on my list!

Falling that, if it’s city-walking, I’d recommends TOMS- they have decent arch support but are still cushioned. You won’t get the longevity out of them like you would with Birkenstocks though.

pigmcpigface Fri 20-Apr-18 10:35:49

No, I didn't know they came in soft footbed versions! Are they really soft? I just googled a picture and it still looked rather.... austere.

keely79 Fri 20-Apr-18 10:41:04

I love my saltwater sandals. They are super comfortable and have stood up well to long walks around cities. My Birkenstocks sometime give me blisters on the arch of my foot...

kittykarate Fri 20-Apr-18 11:22:00

Teva Kayenta are pretty comfy - and don't look as sporty as other Tevas. The only downside with the style is there is no adjustment on the front foot so they either fit or they don't.

Lotsofsausage Fri 20-Apr-18 18:56:59

Saltwaters are too flat for me, no cushioning or support. I like Clarks originals.

PuppyMonkey Fri 20-Apr-18 19:00:48

6-15 miles?

Sounds like you need walk boots not sandals. confused

ToftheB Fri 20-Apr-18 19:06:15

Another vote for Tevas here - they come in all sorts of bright or subtle colours, I bet you could find some that would be smart enough.

eloisesparkle Fri 20-Apr-18 19:07:15

Skechers ?

museumum Fri 20-Apr-18 19:17:36

Teva are the only sandals for walking for me - I have brown leather ones which are nice enough for the city/dinner smile

museumum Fri 20-Apr-18 19:20:05

Teva Capri

QOD Fri 20-Apr-18 19:51:17

Fit flops

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Fri 20-Apr-18 20:01:06

Doing that number of miles in a day you need proper walking shoots or boots.

NotMeNoNo Fri 20-Apr-18 21:24:07

Ah, this year's style vs substance holiday sandals thread.

Maybe take your Tevas so you can revert to them after the first day of the smart and elegant ones.

MrsMariaPolouvicka Fri 20-Apr-18 21:52:07

Ah, this year's style vs substance holiday sandals thread

..and as usual Saltwaters pop up as a recommended shoe for serious walking...I’d love to know what some posters consider a long distance!

OP for that distance you need proper walking shoes from Teva, Merrell etc. They won’t be pretty but at least you’ll still be able to change into a more glamorous option in the evening rather than being laid up in the hotel from walking around on a strip of plastic 1cm thick.

ggirl Fri 20-Apr-18 22:14:50

I quite like these clarks
they're the same foot bed as my and millions of other nurses shoes which are amazingly comfortable.

SealSong Fri 20-Apr-18 22:34:01

Merrell sandals

purplegreen99 Sat 21-Apr-18 11:01:22

I have some Merrell sandals that I use for dog walking & have also had Teva ones in the past. I live in Birkenstocks otherwise, but for long walks I think you need properly designed walking sandals - the sandal equivalent of walking boots. Go to a decent outdoor shop and try on a few different ones to find something that has the right support and fit for you. Another suggestion, maybe not what you want to hear, is to wear good quality socks with your walking sandals if you're planning a long hike - they can definitely help with comfort.

NotMeNoNo Sat 21-Apr-18 11:09:33

To be fair to the OP, she has some Tevas so I guess she knows all this. It's just when you visit a city you don't want to look like a tourist. But you are a tourist. You are walking 10 miles around attractions, not popping out for a cappuccino in your teeny jewelled flipflops like the locals. You gotta embrace the practical.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: