Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Genuinely minimal make-up tuition needed

(42 Posts)
Connfusion Thu 22-Mar-18 22:38:38

I am a lifelong no make-up wearer, now middle-aged. But could do with looking smarter. Know nothing about make-up or how to put it on. So I've looked online at Youtube videos on applying minimal make-up. This turns out to mean plastering on several layers of stuff. Does anyone know of a video which explains how to put on REALLY GENUINELY MINIMAL and easy to apply make-up? Which makes you look as though you've made a bit of an effort (for work purposes)? What is the minimum that would work for this?

IvorHughJarrs Thu 22-Mar-18 22:42:35

How about BB cream, a pale shimmery eye shadow, liner, mascara and lipstick or gloss. That's my minimal and it works for me at 57

applepineapple Thu 22-Mar-18 22:42:39

Look at Lisa Eldridge, she has excellent videos on genuine minimal makeup smile

JoJoSM2 Thu 22-Mar-18 22:48:57

My 5-min make up includes foundation, a touch of powder to keep it in place, blusher, mascara and a lip product (gloss, stick, pencil or just chap stick).

For a little more, I'd add eyeliner and brow pencil.

The key to doing it well are the right brushes (or sponge for the foundation).

Connfusion Thu 22-Mar-18 22:53:46

Thanks. One thing that confuses me, is how everyone seems to have a significantly different make-up regime. I'd have thought that everyone would be doing broadly the same thing (though with differently branded products), but apparently not.

JoJoSM2 Thu 22-Mar-18 23:49:50

It is much of muchness really. so sth for the complexion, sth for cheeks, eyes and lips. But within each category, there are many permutations of products. It all goes round in trends too but if you're after quick, basic, decent looking make up, I wouldn't bother with all 10 different types of products for each area.

phoolani Thu 22-Mar-18 23:57:43

Primer (if you can be bothered)
Tinted moisturiser
Concealer if any bits need covering/evening out
Blusher (cream is best and easiest)
Mascara
Lip balm or gloss if you want to ramp it up.
Takes about 3 minutes.

Ollivander84 Fri 23-Mar-18 00:28:12

OP - I think the difference is minimal and "minimal"
So minimal to someone might be mascara, blush, lip balm and done
Where to someone with acne they might see foundation as their minimal
For me, because I wear a lot of makeup, my minimal involves stuff like a matte eyeshadow, and some tightlining!

A genuine day to day absolute minimum for me would be
BB cream
Concealer
Powder
Blush
One eyeshadow all over the lid
Eyeliner
Mascara
Brow gel

horsestar Fri 23-Mar-18 00:49:42

Go to a make up counter and get them to show you how to apply. I use bare minerals and meets my needs of minimal make up

Lanaa Fri 23-Mar-18 06:10:59

This is my go to minimal look. Maybe use a more neutral lipstick.

https://youtu.be/Btgnz-zIDFQ

Pluckedpencil Fri 23-Mar-18 06:25:19

Good video Lanaa

GeekyWombat Fri 23-Mar-18 07:07:52

Following this with interest as I’m in the same boat. Getting to an age where I feel like I should probably try something to keep myself looking a bit more ‘together’ but have no idea where to start and don’t want to spend a fortune on things I won’t use / don’t need.

Lanaa Fri 23-Mar-18 07:20:32

Thanks @Pluckedpencil Foundation only on the cheeks has changed my life. I've gone from a full cake face everyday to that. I look younger fresher and it's just so pretty. I love that woman's voice too. I wish she'd do some audiobooks. She's one of my favourite Youtubers but sadly doesn't upload often.

bananasandwicheseveryday Fri 23-Mar-18 08:08:59

I don't use a tinted moisturiser as I cannot get one that's the right colour for me, so instead I mix a little of my normal foundation with my regular moisturiser and use that for a very light coverage that evens out my skin tone but doesn't add any colour really. I use a good quality neutral shade eyeshadow over the whole lid with a slightly darker colour for the crease bit. Mascara and a neutral lip gloss complete the look. Takes about 5 minutes whilst I eat breakfast. I'm in my late 50's and find this works for me - sort of better than me but not unnaturally so.

AnnaMagnani Fri 23-Mar-18 08:35:18

Lisa Eldridge. Yes she has videos with masses and masses of product but she also has a video (much loved by me) with a look that is tinted moisturiser, concealer, Clinique chubby stick used for both lips and blush and mascara. The end. So 4 products only.

Also if you watch enough Lisa Eldridge you can see she uses the same old favourites time and time again regardless of whatever new launches she is supposed to be excited about.

FleeceDetective Fri 23-Mar-18 08:42:32

I really struggle with a minimal as in quick/very few products look as I find I don't get the look I want. For me, I prefer the look of no make up rather than small amount of make up that isn't really doing what I want it to do, so many products seem to only sit well when applied with others.

If you just want to look fresher then I think brows looking neat and healthy looking lips with some lip balm help a lot.

Esker Fri 23-Mar-18 08:50:36

Following for tips. I'm generally too lazy for make up but am interested in looking more 'together' grin

KatnissK Fri 23-Mar-18 09:00:37

Depends on what you feel you need to look more put together e.g. do you have a lot of blemishes so might want foundation for a smoother base? Do you have fair eyelashes so maybe a lick of mascara could make a lot of difference? For me, minimal is a tinted bb cream, a couple of dots of concealer under my eyes to hide dark circles and a bit of blusher for some colour.

Speedy85 Fri 23-Mar-18 09:03:17

This is a really nice video:
youtu.be/J8etOvWTEFA

You could absolutely substitute other brands instead of the ones she is using, but if you’re not using the same brand of bronzer that she does I would suggest using a blush instead, as some bronzers would just look weird applied that way.

LadyLapsang Fri 23-Mar-18 09:12:29

I don't think using more products necessarily equates to a plastered on / full face look. In fact, when you use lots of products correctly you can achieve a natural, very fresh look.

Assuming, a clean, moisturised face, then:

Primer (Laura Mercier)
Foundation / tinted moisturiser (Bobbi Brown serum foundation is good and I have heard good things about Armani; Chantecaille and Laura Mercier do good tinted moisturisers - Beauty Pie is a very good budget option)
Concealer- can make a huge difference (Bobbi Brown)
Cream blush (I like Bobbi Brown pot rouge)
Powder (Bobbi Brown Illuminating Powder or Beauty Pie if you are on a budget)
Eyes (Laura Mercier sticks are good; By Terry, Lancome or Chanel mascaras; YSL for brows)
Lips (Chanel, By Terry or Bobbi Brown)

Having written all of this down, it would add up to quite a lot to start from scratch. If you are in that situation, I would book in to Bobbi Brown for a makeover to get some good ideas and join Beauty Pie - I also highly recommend their moisturisers).

LadyLapsang Fri 23-Mar-18 09:15:27

One last tip - SPF 30 or 50 every day!

Speedy85 Fri 23-Mar-18 10:15:02

Personally I would say try getting the following products one at a time and see how far you want to go. This isn’t the order that I would apply them to my face, I mean buy things in this order and then see if you want to add the next product or not.

1. Something for your overall complexion you have options here depending on how much coverage you want (ie how pigmented you need the product to be - more pigmentation covers up more flaws, although if you go to far it can end up looking cakey).

A. If you have fairly good skin you can get away with a tinted moisturiser or B.B. cream. My favourite is Urban Decay One and Done, which moisturises, provides some coverage and has SPF 20.

B. If you want something stronger, use a moisturiser followed by foundation. I just like using a basic own brand Superdrug moisturiser and Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation.

NB. Whichever product you use, don’t forget to lightly add some to your neck too as otherwise your face can end up looking disconnected.

Another NB. If you find that the either tinted moisturiser/B.B. cream or foundation is not lasting well through the day or is going a bit orange after you wear it for a few hours, then add a setting powder on top. This will help keep everything in place and stop the product from reacting with oxygen in the air. My favourite is Charlotte Tilbury.

2. Mascara This can make a massive difference and open up your eyes. My favourite is Blinc tubing mascara because it’s totally waterproof and other brands used to leave me with smudgy eyes.

3. Something for the lips Use whatever lipstick or lip gloss you like. There are different types. Liquid lipsticks tend to stay on the longest but can dry out your lips. My current favourite is Kat Von D Studded Kiss lipstick in Lolita II. You can add lip liner if you want to help define the shape of your lips, but this is optional.

4. Blusher My favourite is Too Faced Sweethearts Perfect Flush Blush in There’s Something About Berry.

5. Concealer This is another complexion product. Use it under the eyes to hide dark circles and generally brighten up the skin there, and on any any blemishes, scars etc. My favourite products for this are by Charlotte Tilbury. She has an eye concealer which comes with a special under eye moisturiser, as well as a general concealer for other areas.

6. Eyeshadow Which colour you pick depends on what look you are going for. If you want to get fancy, you can apply more than one shade and blend them together (eg onecolour over the lid, a darker colour in the crease and lighter colour in the corner of your eye), but if you want to keep things simple just go for one colour over the eyelid. I would go for either maybe a light shimmer like Urban Decay’s Virgin to make the eyes stand out, or a more neutral shade of theirs like Laced.

NB. If you find the eyeshadow doesn’t stay on long enough (eg it migrates to the creases of your eyes) then use a primer before adding the eyeshadow. This is particularly likely to happen if you have oily skin. My favourite is the Urban Decay anti-aging one.

7. Something for your brows This could be higher up on the list depending on your brows are naturally like. A lot of aging women dye their hair but ignore their brows and it makes the hair dye more obvious if you know what I mean. There are various products you can use - pencils, powders and gels. I think pencils are tricky to get right and so would recommend starting with a coloured gel which will make them look fuller and keep the hairs in place (a bit like mascara does for eyelashes). My favourite brand is Anastasia Beverly Hills. That brand also does a good pair of small scissors which I use to trim them so that they are nice and neat.

I think those are the main products I would suggest for a minimal look. You will probably need to purchase some brushes to apply the products above too, although some people just use fingers. The RealTechniques ones which you can get from Boots and Superdrug are pretty good. I prefer to use an egg shaped sponge for applying foundation/B.B. creams because I find it easier to blend. You can get these everywhere nowadays and you just need to make sure that the sponge is damp so it doesn’t suck up all the product.

If you get into make-up there are further products you can explore like:
Primers - make foundation go on more smoothly.
Contour powders - used correctly, these can make your face look slimmer and more sculpted, you can even make your nose look thinner with practice.
Highlight - To add a glow to certain areas, often used on cheekbones.
Bronzer - to mimic the effect of a day in the sun.
Eyelash curlers - Not strictly a product but can be useful to help open up the eyes.
But these are nice but not minimal.

Speedy85 Fri 23-Mar-18 10:28:04

I knew I would forget something. Eyeliner! I’d probably try that about the same time as eyeshadow. It helps define the eyes and my favourite brand is Kat Von D tattoo liner.

I would personally prefer to go out with eyeliner and mascara but no eyeshadow, than mascara and eyeshadow but no eyeliner, but everyone is different. My eyes are small so the definition for the eyeliner really helps.

Mulberrysilk Fri 23-Mar-18 10:42:13

Max factor creme puff 2 in one.
Eye lash curler.
Mascara.
Lip gloss.
Job done.

Leave it at until you get more confident with it.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 23-Mar-18 11:17:21

My DD nearly 16yo (stunning though of course I'm biased grin ) spends 30 minutes on her NMUMU.

Primer, foundation, concealer, touch of highlight, browgel, mascara, lipbalm.

She looks like she's had a filter setting in front of her.
Obviously she doesn't need all this but she likes it and has the time to do it.

For going out etc, there's no minimal grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: