Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

The annual leggings thread - will you be wearing them this spring?

(60 Posts)
TuscanMum Tue 20-Mar-18 22:35:31

Never an issue for me in winter as I always wear opaque tights and dresses or skirts.

But spring and summer (ha) leggings are always a nice idea! Still warm but can wear sandals.

Please let me know if you’ll be wearing leggings this year!

NorthernLurker Tue 20-Mar-18 22:36:13

I wear leggings all year round. Can't bear tights. So that's a yes

Caspiana Tue 20-Mar-18 22:37:33

Yes! They’re so comfortable, and I think they look ok under a long top/short dress with flats.

leccybill Tue 20-Mar-18 22:38:48

No, stopped wearing them a couple of years ago. Prefer shorter tops now as it turns out I do have a waist after all.

gettingtherequickly Tue 20-Mar-18 22:42:58

The only time I'd wear leggings is in the gym.

Twotabbycats Tue 20-Mar-18 23:12:01

In spring, yes, under dress/tunic.

In summer - no, far too hot!

FrozenMargarita17 Tue 20-Mar-18 23:23:19

I have an 8 month old and I live in leggings now. Too much faff to wear much else haha.

MistressDeeCee Wed 21-Mar-18 00:01:15

No chance. Too unflattering. Particularly the 'leggings under smock(ish) dress' look. Opaque tights look so much nicer. Capri pants or jeans look much better with long or short top than leggings do. Leggings are ok for gym or outside exercise tho.

sweetmonkeys Wed 21-Mar-18 06:28:07

Only when going for a run. And then they're Under Armour running ones grin Wouldn't be seen dead in leggings outside the house. So unflattering and frumpy.

CopASquat Wed 21-Mar-18 06:31:21

I wear them all year. Can't bear tights or most jeans.

CopASquat Wed 21-Mar-18 06:32:19

Capri pants or jeans look much better with long or short top than leggings do

Capri pants?! The 90s called and want their clothes back.

MelonKim Wed 21-Mar-18 06:39:29

People don’t. A waistband is your friend.

VeganCatLover Wed 21-Mar-18 06:42:35

No, I live in tights and dresses. I will keep wearing tights until it's warm enough for bare legs. I own no trousers but literally about 500 dresses.

Allthepinkunicorns Wed 21-Mar-18 06:44:52

Yes I will be wearing leggings, I wear them whenever I feel like it.

CopASquat Wed 21-Mar-18 06:50:56

Leggings have got waistbands.

IRL every woman I know wears them except my grandmother. Yet on MN they are hated beyond belief. It's v odd.

I wear mine with trainers and long oversized tees, not ballet flats and dresses.

I own no shoes which are not converse or trainers and I own no dresses.

I give no fucks.

IWouldLikeToKnow Wed 21-Mar-18 06:52:04

Have never worn them. Hate them.

PNGirl Wed 21-Mar-18 07:10:33

I will be wearing them for a 9-hour night flight with a mid-thigh t shirt, leather jacket and trainers. That is my one exception. Otherwise, no.

BexleyRae Wed 21-Mar-18 07:18:23

My wardrobe consists of leggings and opaques with long tops or dresses.
I couldn't care less if I'm unfashionable, I'm happy 😊

choppolata Wed 21-Mar-18 07:49:14

Leggings all year round since 1986! Wouldn't be without them.

GrannyGrissle Wed 21-Mar-18 08:01:56

CopASquat I love capri pants but (no offence legging lovers) would not wear leggings if you paid me. That is why i love being a grown up and knowing my tastes and style, i can wear what i like regardless of fashion trends.
Not keen on tights and have reintroduced stockings and suspenders to my undies drawer. Am fed up of hoiking tights up at the crotch throughout the day grin (just need the weather to get on board so i can ditch the jeans and cashmere lounge pants!).

Neganforever Wed 21-Mar-18 08:08:07

I'm one of the fashion faux pas brigade who wears thick cotton leggings on their own, no real bum coverage. I also wear them with mini skirts. I don't care, they're warm and comfortable and I can run with the dog in them. I'm a runner so lucky legs and bum are very toned.

LizTaylorsFabulousTurban Wed 21-Mar-18 08:13:24

I'm wearing them right now. And sometimes I just wear tights. Or capris, or loose joggers, or jeans, or smart fitted trousers, or baggy linen trousers, or long skirts. But generally I wear clothes that I like, that suit me, and are comfortable. I don't get the legging hate on here (although not particularly in this thread); they might now be something you would wear yourself but why the vitreol directed towards those that do?

SinglePringle Wed 21-Mar-18 08:23:14

Apart from my beautiful leather ones (thicker than normal), I only wear normal leggings to the gym and proper work out leggings.

I hate the leggings / tunic top look. Frumpy.

expatmigrant Wed 21-Mar-18 08:37:49

Only for gym or garden. Should be banned from wearing any other time and I find that the women who do wear them are the ones that really shouldn't. Not a good look.

Frankiewears Wed 21-Mar-18 08:41:52

I like cropped ones with plain tunics and converse. I am apple shaped so it looks great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: