Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Ebaying - minimum price worth selling for?

(17 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Tue 13-Mar-18 19:32:16

Thinking of listing a few things but honestly wondering if it's worth bothering with after the fees are taken out of the price and postage.
What's the bare minimum sale price you would accept before you think it's not worth going to the post office for?

LoadsaBlusher Tue 13-Mar-18 19:37:34

There is a site called final fee calculator where you can pop in final selling price minus postage and it works out your eBay and PayPal fees and shoes what you would actually make.

( If it’s your own items from your wardrobe just put in zero for the cost price as it’s more for EBay resellers etc )

Personally I try not to sell anything for less than £10 plus postage at absolute minimum

LoadsaBlusher Tue 13-Mar-18 19:38:03

*shows not shoes grin

Butterfly1975 Tue 13-Mar-18 19:39:08

Depends what it is and what I paid for it initially! Clothes are usually not worth the hassle unless in excellent condition and a desirable make e.g Boden, Joules, Hobbs etc. Perfume seems to sell very well in my experience - even used.

What are you thinking about selling?

keeponkeepinon Tue 13-Mar-18 20:05:19

Clothes and shoes, some new some just stuff I don't use anymore and taking up space. Not worth much but wouldn't want to end up losing money on it by listing at 99p! May as well go to charity shop really in that case. Trying to justify getting rid of things by earning a bit from them. But there's a point at which there's no point wasting your time.
Mix of brands, e.g. coast dresses I've had for weddings and just won't get worn again. So in lovely condition. Some still have labels as I've not slimmed into them as I planned! blush

Time40 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:07:12

I find that it takes an hour in total to do one trade, so I won't list anything if I don't think it will pay me for an hour of my time.

keeponkeepinon Tue 13-Mar-18 20:09:34

Thats a good way to look at it.

Andbabymakesthree Tue 13-Mar-18 20:12:17

Stick starting price as what you would be happy to sell for or do buy it now prices

bookgirl1982 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:15:37

Do buy it nows for what you'd be happy with rather than auctions.

Lovemusic33 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:16:38

I listed loads today, I have just started everything at 99p and just hope people bid it up. I have only listed stuff that’s new or new without tags, all good brands (kids and adults). I would have put it in the clothes bank otherwise so any money I get is better than nothing. It only took me a hour to list 30 items.

NameChangeDestroyer Tue 13-Mar-18 20:20:58

When I sell I list lots of stuff at once. If a few items only sell for 99p it's not any more hassle to take them to the post office as I have other parcels.

With the Coast dresses add words like 'wedding' 'mother of the bride' 'floral' (or whatever pattern it is). You might be better off trying to sell them late April when wedding season begins

beansonbread Tue 13-Mar-18 20:24:28

I started selling on eBay last month and have so far sold about 35 items (everything from shoes, clothes and bags to badges, pens and candles - basically any tat around the house I didn't want!) and I've made £250! Apart from two Cath Kidston items everything else was completely unbranded or high street brands. I've listed about 50 items and 35 have sold. The fees have been minimal and my buyers have paid for the postage so it's been pretty much all profitable. I don't find it time consuming at all, I can list 5-6 items in an hour and about the same stats for packaging. I've really enjoyed it and already have a pile of things to list next!

ThisIsAWifeMineNow Tue 13-Mar-18 20:24:47

At the moment they are running days or weekends where you only pay £1 ebay fees if you sell items listed on that da/weekend, so if you have things that are worth more than £10 keep an eye out for them - might be worth the effort then.

Butterfly1975 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:26:19

Just came back on to say what Namechangedestroyer just said about your Coast dresses. They'll sell really well if you time it right and add key words in your titles!!

Vitalogy Tue 13-Mar-18 20:26:43

I list the minimum I'd be happy to sell at, sometimes takes longer but I'm in no desperate hurry.

LoadsaBlusher Tue 13-Mar-18 20:37:05

Definitely do buy it now
People pay more if they can buy it there and then
If you download the app on your phone it’s v quick to list

What I do Is take all my photographs in the oner and save them to my phone library
Then sit with a cuppa and do all my listing on my phone and just use all the photos from my library
Rather than listing / photographing one at a time
You can do it really quickly on the app / can edit / rotate / crop your pics etc

ilovecherries Wed 14-Mar-18 10:21:02

Generally I don't sell anything for less than £12.50, so that I clear £10 per item. I use buy it now a lot unless I suspect it's something that might go for a bit of money (some used plus size designer dresses, for example), and I start those at the lowest price I'd be prepared to sell at. You have to watch for BIN though, because ebay defaults to inviting offers (and also do this automatically after a week as well, which is really annoying). So at the moment I have a BNWT Boden coat on there. It was £130 new, but it's a few seasons old. I have it on for £40, I'd put on offers, but ebay had changed it, so yesterday I started to get offers for £5, £10 etc. I know you can just decline, but I find it annoying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: