Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Are Arizona Birkenstocks hell on earth to break in?

(16 Posts)
ilovecherries Tue 13-Mar-18 15:03:09

I just cannot bear blisters sad. And are they ok for plantar fasciitis? I’d love a change from the fugly shoes I wear every summer.

Hellsbellscockleshells Tue 13-Mar-18 15:15:18

I have also suffered with PF I love Birkenstocks and they are great at relieving PF but I have only tried the toe post versions. I have umpteen pairs and where them in the house as slippers (as my feet can get especially sore when going from laying down or sitting down to walking about).

Kenworthington Tue 13-Mar-18 15:19:11

I e got the Arizona’s. They’re super comfy and GReAT for PF, which I also have. Apparently lots of people find them hard to break in/adjust to due to the Moulded footbed but I’ve always found them comfy from first wear

ilovecherries Tue 13-Mar-18 15:23:39

Thanks smile. I’ve just looked at them in office but the leather seemed quite hard. If only it were acceptable to wear socks with sandals I’d be set grin

Kenworthington Tue 13-Mar-18 15:49:36

Haha I LOvE socks with my birkis grin

Beamur Tue 13-Mar-18 15:53:35

Maybe I've been lucky, but Birkenstocks (any kind) don't give me blisters. I had some of these and they were blissfully comfy.

Twofishfingers Tue 13-Mar-18 15:58:36

I much prefer fitflop for plantar fasciitis. Birkis made it worst for me.

I'd recommend those with a strap at the back strap.

Rinceoir Tue 13-Mar-18 16:00:54

I’m possibly in the minority but I find Birkenstocks the most uncomfortable footwear I’ve ever tried. Blisters and have to curl my toes to keep them on.

Has anyone tried the narrow version?

DontCallMeCharlotte Tue 13-Mar-18 16:46:38

I wear Birkenstock Tabora or Mayari (v. similar to each other) which I think are more attractive than the Arizona. I don't like toe-posts but these don't work like toe-posts.

A new pair takes a few hours to wear in and no blisters. My next pair will probably be the Daloa ones.

Having said this, I have developed plantar fascitis since last summer so it will be interesting to see how they work this summer.

ArkAtEee Tue 13-Mar-18 17:28:54

I have PF and my Birkenstocks are great for it. I too wear a pair as slippers. I have the Arizona's, the narrow ones and had to size down half a size. I've always had the suede ones which are softer than the leather ones and no trouble to break in. There are some with a soft foot bed which I have found to be even better for PF.

Pinkkahori Tue 13-Mar-18 19:43:07

I have dreadful feet and have had many pairs of Arizonas and Taboras and never had to do any wearing in.
I think its important that they fit properly though.
A lot of people say to size down but if you do, make sure your foots fits inside the footbed. If any of your foot is resting on the edge they won't be comfortable.

ilovecherries Tue 13-Mar-18 20:47:27

Ok, think I will give them a go, can't stand the thought of another summer in sports sandals.

chocolateiamydrug Tue 13-Mar-18 20:53:27

PF suffer here too. no blisters but it took a short while to get used to them. Not long though. super comfy and great for PF. go for it!

MissWimpyDimple Wed 14-Mar-18 11:29:18

You can get them wit extra soft insoles now. I saw them in Italy when I was there. Not seen them on UK high street but sure they must be online

MissWimpyDimple Wed 14-Mar-18 11:33:25

Here they are actually soft

Frankiewears Wed 14-Mar-18 11:43:31

Go for the Mayari ones in birko flo material.

I have had several kinds of the Arizona ones and have given them away after awful blisters on the top of my foot despite repeated tries.

Also good are the Florida ones. I think the birko material is softer and have never had a blister from it. It is durable too.

They are incredibly comfortable if you have PF. I didn’t find fitflops supportive enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: