Talk

Advanced search

Best cover ups from the sun?

(13 Posts)
dameofdilemma Tue 13-Mar-18 14:28:41

What do people use to cover up from the sun?

I have a skin condition that reacts to the sun and need something to cover up on the beach/in the pools/splash park etc on holiday.
Don't want to spend lots as will only need it one week a year.

Have never really done beach hols so am a bit confused
Do only kids wear rash vests?

Ideally I'd just stay in the shade but I have a 5 yr old who'll want to play...

DancingLedge Tue 13-Mar-18 14:38:46

Bought a rash vest last year , as realised could no longer reach the whole of my back to reapply sun cream.
It was great, lived in it most of the holiday. Needed less suncream. Didn't have to remember how long I'd been in sun when snorkeling.
Lots of people who paddle board, snorkel, kite surf etc wear them all the time.
Around £20 Amazon.Also got shorts.

If I had more need to cover up, I'd get longer shorts, or a burkini.

JDSTER Tue 13-Mar-18 15:55:48

I got a nice rash top and shorts from Boden last year. I’m fair skinned so if I’m in the pool for a while I like my shoulders and upper back covered. Hat and glasses as well of course.

dameofdilemma Thu 15-Mar-18 10:13:36

Thanks are the Boden or Amazon rash tops loose?

I bought one from Amazon for dd and it was really tight and uncomfortable..

specialsubject Thu 15-Mar-18 11:40:20

in the pool or sea it is definitely a rash vest with a collar and long sleeves, and long boardies (nothing underneath those). All sold at Tesco or similar. The pool will destroy clothes so don't waste money on labels.

take it off when you get out as you'll get chilled if any breeze, replace with a close weave shirt. No daft floaty cover-ups. Plus suncream of course.

thedevilinablackdress Thu 15-Mar-18 12:57:32

Cotton or linen shirts, larger than usual size. Often men's, usually 2nd hand so I didn't mind getting sun cream on them.

JDSTER Thu 15-Mar-18 13:56:36

Boden not too tight but I wouldn’t want it too loose either. You can obviously size up or down depending on how you find the fit.

EbonyJade Thu 15-Mar-18 14:21:12

I wear a bikini but when i get too hot I wear a kaftan monsoon & Accessorize do nice ones.

thedevilinablackdress Thu 15-Mar-18 14:45:06

Don't think a bikini will quite give the OP the coverage she's after Ebony 😁

ElspethFlashman Thu 15-Mar-18 14:48:49

I once heard that denim blocks a lot of sunlight because of the tight weave. Could you buy a big billowy mens denim shirt?

dameofdilemma Thu 15-Mar-18 15:45:25

For the beach I'll probably use a couple of big, thin linen/cotton shirts I have and maybe rash vests if they're comfy.

But not sure what I'm allowed wear at the pools at the Eurocamp-y type place (they've mandated speedos for men and no swim/board shorts...am guessing its to avoid sand from beach being brought into pool?).
I won't be swimming but will be playing with dd in the shallow pools/splash park. (Dp will do the swimming and water slides).

Nicketynac Thu 15-Mar-18 19:45:16

I bought a rash vest from Decathlon last year. It is tight though so I had to get a size up to feel comfortable. I hadn’t thought of wearing a shirt as a cover up. What ones will give good sun protection without being too hot to wear? I imagine denim shirts to be too thick or the thinner ones to be too flimsy.

Gwenhwyfar Thu 15-Mar-18 20:16:51

"am guessing its to avoid sand from beach being brought into pool?)."

Shorts for men aren't allowed in swimming pools in general in some continental countries for hygiene reasons, not particularly to do with sand.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: