Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help me build a spring/summer wardrobe

(14 Posts)
AnneAndBarry Wed 07-Mar-18 21:03:57

Just that really! I have done well this year with my winter wardrobe (max mara coat and moncler puffer jacket and nice boots) and I'm now turning my attention to my summer wardrobe basics. I usually tend not to invest in summer clothes and I end up with low quality dresses from H&M and tshirts from Gap. I'm now of an age (37) where I'm not getting away with this approach anymore and I need to feel more "pulled together" during summer. The unpredictable British weather isn't helping either!

Budget and style is Jigsaw, Whistles, Sezane, JCrew, Topshop plus some cheaper basics like tshirts - I am reluctant to spend a lot on tshirts when I have young DC. Comfort is key ... I'm 5"5 and size 10.

I'm thinking:

Nice bright patterned dress for dinners, barbecues

Jeans

Breton tops for spring days

Nice flattering shorts

Nice tshirts

converse

Espadrilles

Anything else I should add? Any recommendations for any of the above?

AnneAndBarry Tue 13-Mar-18 16:29:17

Bump

seefeld Tue 13-Mar-18 18:07:33

How about cropped wide leg trousers? I had a great navy pair last spring/summer and wore them with t shirts, white trainers, leather jacket in the evenings.

Topshop high waisted straight leg jeans are amazing. Look great with ankle boots now and trainers once it’s warmer.

Last spring/summer I also got a lot of wear out of a khaki cotton shacket and a Whistles ‘Lola’ dress.

In terms of places to look, I found a couple of nice cotton dresses in Warehouse and Mango last year. But not sure whether they’re going to last the whole of this spring/summer as the quality wasn’t amazing.

AnaViaSalamanca Tue 13-Mar-18 19:05:06

I have been on this quest myself. Here is my list

I have
- a couple of cotton dresses, in navy and black
castaner espadrilles (really recommended, NAP also has a 10% off now).
red statement skirt
a couple of white cotton dresses
linen tops
a light pink blazer
peasant tops (maje, j crew)
white shirt

I want
jigsaw chinos (check them out, I have one in pink, but it's a bit too loose now, amazing quality though)
maybe a straw hat
shorts (probably boden)

I buy t-shirts from gap, all things considered I find them great quality considering the price. Jeans I normally buy from J brand and MIH whenever on sale. Don't really wear breton tops.

BlueEyedWonder Tue 13-Mar-18 19:38:30

Want a little summer wardrobe and things that will also work for a trip to Lisbon in October.
I have:
Topshop high waist straight leg jeans
Uniqlo breton tops
Topshop basic Ts in white, black and grey
Pure cream cropped cashmere cardigan (for cooler British days and nights in Lisbon)
Birkenstocks
I want:
Summer dress
Espadrilles
Midi skirt
Pretty white blouse
Khaki chinos

Catherine0317 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:18:05

AnneandBarry watching with interest.. any shopping stores/suggestions. Love some of the ideas above. Recommend Jigsaw cotton pima t shirts and 7/8th jeans. Their shorts are good too. Not too short - not too long. Im 5ft5 too

GhostCurry Tue 13-Mar-18 21:27:39

Watching with interest!

OP I'd recommend some clogs, I wear them all summer long, they're super comfortable (really! Provided you get the ones with straps) and they go with everything.

Mine are Swedish Hasbeens, I really like this height ("high" - but don't be put off) as they give height while actually being "walkable in":

www.swedishhasbeens.com/shop_online/sandals/high/mirja-cognac_-nubuck-cognac_-nubuck

I think they're so useful, and they look cute as hell. Some very cute colours too if you want to get something a bit less neutral.

nickEcave Wed 14-Mar-18 16:45:01

Some of my summer go-to brands are:
gaimo suede espadrilles - Spanish brand usually stocked in TK Maxx, really pretty with a very slight wedge heel
Woolovers cropped cotton/linen blend cardigans to wear over dresses
chino shorts in khaki and navy from White Stuff
summer tops - I find light coloured summer tops tend to only last me one or two summers before looking tired/grubby so I buy a handful fresh each year, usually from TK Maxx (are you detecting a trend here grin)

PNGirl Wed 14-Mar-18 21:03:35

My favourite t shirts ever are Uniqlo cotton ones. Crew and v-neck.

www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/women-uniqlo-u-100pct-cotton-crew-neck-short-sleeve-t-shirt-406456.html

BrassicaBabe Wed 14-Mar-18 21:08:14

Ooh love those Ghost

Gah81 Thu 15-Mar-18 00:33:26

Watching. I find summer clothes so dull in comparison to winter ones (adore polonecks, pencil skirts, tweeds, velvet, cashmere etc.)

I have:

1 Baukjen denim pencil skirt
1 Next off shoulder colourful top
Several printed dresses (tea dresses)
1 blue/white kimono jacket
2 pairs nude wedges
1 pair silver Birkenstocks
2 panama hats
1 White Company linen cover-up/dress

I need:

1 pair denim shorts (to replace my much-lobed ones from Topshop many years back)
1 red/blue skirt (high waist, floaty-ish)
1 pair khaki shorts
1 decent swimsuit

Bourgainvillia Thu 15-Mar-18 10:08:48

Love the denim jacket and wedge shoes look myself. I love Levis of all things best. Topshop for tops (of courses lol) and XYLondon wedges or espadrilles if its warm, and I team up my look with a pencil skirt from M&S.

Sweetheart Thu 15-Mar-18 11:27:27

I started trying to do this last year - rather than do it by piece I did it by colour.

I chose Navy and Stone / White as my base colours. Coral, khaki and burgundy as my accent colours with accessories in tan / gold.

Basically everything I brought last summer was in one of these colours so that everything goes with everything else.

GrannyGrissle Thu 15-Mar-18 17:07:32

Castaner espadrilles are on Brandalley at the moment less than half price.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: