Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Nice unfrumpy swimsuit anywhere?

(24 Posts)
10thingsIhateAboutTheDailyMail Sat 24-Feb-18 11:59:52

I saw a woman wearing the same swimsuit as me at the pool, she was about the sane age and size as me, wearing a solid reliable black Zoggs costume with wide straps. I thought "blimey that looks unflattering and does you no favours!"

My old black sturdy Zoggs swimsuit has started to fall apart, so am hunting for something a bit more fun.

What brands would be good? It can't be black and massive, like my current one. I am only 45 and may consider the Zoggs Ella again once I am 85 wink

I prefer a lower scoopback and some colour....I need inspiration (no tummy control or ruching or anything too solid)

LadyLapsang Sat 24-Feb-18 12:09:19

J Crew have some lovely ones, but they are quite expensive.

chipsandpeas Sat 24-Feb-18 12:12:42

i normally stick too speedo or adidas swimsuits and get them from sports direct

10thingsIhateAboutTheDailyMail Sat 24-Feb-18 12:55:40

Are speedo ok if you're not narrowhipped?

They always look a bit straight up and down a bit

Never checked J Crew, thought they were only in US

misscockerspaniel Sat 24-Feb-18 13:40:28

Have you looked on the John Lewis website? I've bought several colourful Speedos from there, both with scoopbacks.

Corcra Sat 24-Feb-18 14:15:09

I saw some lovely ones on th

Corcra Sat 24-Feb-18 14:16:31

the asos and next websites

10thingsIhateAboutTheDailyMail Sat 24-Feb-18 14:46:00

Asos! Thought was for under 25s only

John Lewis... did not see any I liked

LockedOutOfMN Sat 24-Feb-18 15:54:28

Speedo? I bought a new one in December and they had many different colours and patterns.

CountFosco Sat 24-Feb-18 18:58:51

How often do you swim? I swim several times a week, don't care what I look like (I doubt however va va voom the suit is it won't detract from the goggles, red face and out of breathness when I get out of the pool) and wouldn't buy a Speedo again after my last one died in 6 months. Zoggs are much more chlorine resistant. Or Proswimwear has an enormous range of hardwearing swimming costumes.

If you just swim occasionally then if you have big boobs have you looked at Figleaves or Bravissimo? Otherwise agree ASOS is a good choice.

LadyLapsang Sun 25-Feb-18 12:13:17

J Crew have shops in London and also do mail order.

10thingsIhateAboutTheDailyMail Sun 25-Feb-18 12:38:58

Countfosco, I swim twice a week. Just half hour lane swimming.

My black Zoggs costume lasted 18 months, which I guess is pretty unbeatable.

Was just having one of those moments,where I saw myself in the mirrir and thought: mega frump grin

10thingsIhateAboutTheDailyMail Sun 25-Feb-18 12:39:34

Jcrew looks lovely but too £££ for me at the mo....

CountFosco Sun 25-Feb-18 12:53:16

Colourful is the way to go. The DD both swim in a swimming club and the suits are either black or navy and very practical (often the knee suits) or very colourful and patterned. I need a new swimsuit and am looking at the colourful patterned ones this time.

10thingsIhateAboutTheDailyMail Sun 25-Feb-18 13:17:39

Like the colours of this one:

www.zoggs.com/perch-starback-swimsuit

...but not sure about it for me, does it scream midlife crisis?! grin

It offers no boob support, but am small of boob anyway....it is very "naked" though... hmmmm

Sarahjconnor Sun 25-Feb-18 13:18:52

I saw a woman in a lovely suit at the pool last week - it was sea folly and I can’t find a uk stockist.. .. searching

HuskyMcClusky Sun 25-Feb-18 13:20:18

Check out Seafolly. They are not cheap but worth it for the fit & quality.

peachypetite Sun 25-Feb-18 14:52:23

DEBenhams

lullabelle83 Mon 26-Feb-18 21:14:09

Try seafolly, expensive but great fabrics and prints. Brand alley and secret sales sometimes do good discounts. I got mine in TK maxx online.

duriandurian Mon 26-Feb-18 21:18:07

Seafolly. Also on eBay BNWOT. Size up IMO

Windowgazer123 Mon 26-Feb-18 21:22:31

Seafolly are lovely but v pricey.
The zoggs one you have mentioned is lovely.. though it does look very young to me. But if you like it, go for it!

I know you don’t want a boring black costume.. but I bought this last weekend..

m.asos.com/south-beach/south-beach-tie-swimsuit/prd/8502726?clr=black&SearchQuery=swimsuit&gridcolumn=1&gridrow=13&gridsize=2&pge=1&pgesize=72&totalstyles=248

Yes, it’s black and looks dull but it actually a really nice fit, is rather supportive on chest area and the tie up straps actually make it look really nice.
I wore it with colourful accessories, kaftan and felt quite nice. For £25 it’s a great 2nd, 3rd option to have.

Windowgazer123 Mon 26-Feb-18 21:23:37

And they have it in red..
m.asos.com/south-beach/south-beach-red-tie-swimsuit/prd/8929303?clr=red&SearchQuery=south%20beach%20tie&gridcolumn=1&gridrow=2&gridsize=2&pge=1&pgesize=72&totalstyles=22

LouiseBrooks Mon 26-Feb-18 21:26:04

Another vote for Seafolly. I also have some nice ones from Monsoon.

calzone Mon 26-Feb-18 22:31:04

I have a fabulous one from Next.

It’s blue spots and halter neck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: