Advanced search

Skin under the bust - cream to soothe

(35 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 23-Feb-18 19:15:13

For DMum.
Skin under the bust (she's 80) is sensitive and slightly red. She has psorisas too so nothing too harsh.

The hospital Dr said use Vaseline , but its very gloopy.

Would something like Sudocream or Lanacane be better?
I'm thinking (hopefully logically) they're a bit 'drier' in texture ?

What does anyone else use?

If there's no improvement I'll get her to go to her GP for something medicated, I know the skin underbust is prone to fungal/candida type problems

Casmama Fri 23-Feb-18 19:19:00

It’s a bit messy but would metanium help?
I’m assuming the redness is due to a combination of moisture and friction so it might.
Likely to stain though.

Craftypuss Fri 23-Feb-18 19:21:37

I had a problem with this for ages - when I went for a mammogram, (not connected with the sore skin!) the lovely ladies there recommended using cream meant for athletes foot, which worked brilliantly.

EbonyJade Fri 23-Feb-18 20:45:57

You can actually buy Canestan for under the bust.

BetterEatCheese Fri 23-Feb-18 20:49:23

Unsure what creams, but my mum puts roll on under her bust as a preventative measure to stop sweating and soreness. Never tried it myself but tempted this summer

BetterEatCheese Fri 23-Feb-18 20:49:46

Just realised this may not work with psoriasis

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 23-Feb-18 20:50:47

I've read on here that Canestan works there, OP. It's easily bought in supermarkets - perhaps try that?

AnnaMagnani Fri 23-Feb-18 20:51:28

She needs a prescription for Canesten HC from her GP.

Red and underboob + elderly, guarantee you it needs medicated. You need the HC, not just ordinary Canesten.

user1486076969 Fri 23-Feb-18 20:52:29


shouldawouldadid Fri 23-Feb-18 20:53:54

My mum uses Elizabeth Arden 8hr cream, acts as a barrier to stop rubbing and not too gloopy, if it’s itchy and red sounds fungal though.

numbereightyone Fri 23-Feb-18 20:54:15

Eight hour cream or Sudocrem.

NotTheQueen Fri 23-Feb-18 20:57:56

If she has psoriasis under her breasts, I’d consider asking for UV treatment or hitting the sun beds. I’m usually very anti sun beds (Aussie - skin cancer paranoia) but my sister has psoriasis, and before she began methotrexate, she had light treatment.

MickHucknallspinkpancakes Fri 23-Feb-18 21:04:33

Sudocreme spread thinly underneath before bedtime and an old baggy t shirt on to sleep works for me op.

SporkInTheToaster Fri 23-Feb-18 21:13:15

The best thing is to keep it clean and dry.

MoreHairyThanScary Fri 23-Feb-18 21:14:21

You need someone to diagnose the actual cause of the redness is it Candida ( thrush) or is it psoriasis. If it's thrush and antifungal clotrixamazole or similar will work quite effectively ( can be helped by adding a layer of gauze or cotton squares under the breasts to increase 'airflow'. If it's psoriasis then a gentle steroid cream and moisturiser would help. ( again the quake or cotton sometimes helps too.

Good luck if your mum is not too embarrassed a pharmacist may be able to help recommend the correct cream.

JaneEyre70 Fri 23-Feb-18 21:19:34

Canesten HC from the chemist. Just a tiny amount morning and night for a week. Use medicated talc when she gets dressed and check her bra isn't too tight.

Situp Fri 23-Feb-18 21:20:41

I get this and it is psoriasis which gets aggravated because of where it is. You have to e careful of normal psoriasis creams as they shoukd not be used in a skin fold where possible.

I use a topical steroid to bring it under control and actually I then focus on keeping it dry. Blow drying the area on a cool setting after bathing and using baby powder.

Scullerymaid Fri 23-Feb-18 21:22:54

Like pp said it needs to be kept dry. Cotton bra/undies no talc and no
creams that are water based or it's defeating the object.
Best cutting out sugar from the diet if poss - appreciate at 80
it could be a big ask - but I found it the way to go long term.

goose1964 Fri 23-Feb-18 22:27:49

I use a deodorant to stop the sweat or if I forget then I use cussons medicated talc. If it is a wet rash or smells yeasty then athletes foot cream is great.

the bane of big boobs in the british climate

traviata Fri 23-Feb-18 23:32:07

I find soap suds stay trapped under my bust, they don't get rinsed away, and they make the skin sore. Maybe you could suggest your DM checks her washing routine.

CremeBrulee Fri 23-Feb-18 23:35:38

Lanacane do a special anti-chafing gel for this very purpose. Look for it Boots.

liltingleaf Sat 24-Feb-18 07:52:17

Aloe Vera gel. Will treat mild fungal infection and be cooling and soothing.

liltingleaf Sat 24-Feb-18 07:52:40

Or coconut oil. Ditto above.

frayedbuspass Sat 24-Feb-18 08:22:58

She needs to go to her GP and get Trimovate on prescription.

Mrsjellybum Sat 24-Feb-18 09:14:35

If she has sensitive skin use over the counter canesten. If that doesn't work take her to the gp for something stronger.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: