Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Mulberry Alexa - Cons?

(27 Posts)
IsThisMeToo Wed 21-Feb-18 21:15:31

I am looking at a preloved Mulberry Alexa and wondering what are the cons against this bag? I have never seen one in person and have no access to a store selling it. Plus, it seems to be discontinued.

Is the oversized one better than the regular? They cost the same preloved.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Wed 21-Feb-18 21:17:42

None, as far as I'm concerned! Love my bag!

AgathaMystery Wed 21-Feb-18 21:18:42

Literally no cons. I love how I can shorten the strap to make it a shoulder bag too. I use a samorga liner in mine when I want it less slouchy. The oversize is too big to carry and actually fill - it becomes a weird weekend bag, which case you are better off with a Piccadilly.

I love the Alexa! Wish I had more!

PaperdollCartoon Wed 21-Feb-18 21:19:29

Where is selling preloved Alexa’s?!

Dabisadancemove Wed 21-Feb-18 21:20:26

I have two and love them both. They are a great size and very versatile with the strap OK for shoulder or cross-body and the handle on the top.

BuzzKillington Wed 21-Feb-18 21:20:57

No cons - love mine, although I have abused it and it's looking tired.

Viviene Wed 21-Feb-18 21:22:07

Naughty pidgin nest?! I think that's what the website is called has few Alexa's.

The only con I can think of is that piping on mine got exposed and it needs to go back to Mulberry for a repair.

I don't like the shoulder strap as it's awkward.

It looks better when it's full.

I love mine though :-)

Viviene Wed 21-Feb-18 21:22:49

Oversized better IMO

AgathaMystery Wed 21-Feb-18 21:23:21

Naughti pidgin sells them. Very nice they are too.

Tired Alexas need a colonil massage with the creme and blast with the spray then stuffing for a week or 2.

Greenteandchives Wed 21-Feb-18 21:26:32

I had one, but returned it as it just didn’t hang right when worn. Also it was too fiddly to open and close, and find what I was looking for inside it.

BubblesBuddy Wed 21-Feb-18 21:26:51

I have an oversized. It goes out of shape. It’s not lined. Mine was a special. It ought to be a pre loved! It’s dated now! Navy blue suede with studs. How much should I ask for it?

AgathaMystery Wed 21-Feb-18 21:30:08

Bubbles you can send them to Sian at Naughti Pidgins Nest & she will price it for you!

IsThisMeToo Wed 21-Feb-18 21:30:36

I keep reading problems with the strap - what's wrong with the strap?

I really dig the look. It looks rocker chic.

Mixingitall Wed 21-Feb-18 21:33:44

I have a regular sized black one with gold detailing. The bag looks amazing and I love it, however at 5ft 3, the strap is still too long, so it only looks good casually. Also the catch drives me crazy, if I have a shopping bag in the other hand and then need to open my bag for purse or keys it isn’t quick.

silkpyjamasallday Wed 21-Feb-18 21:41:11

I have an oversized Alexa in black and a mini in grey. I like them both, the oversized doesn't keep its shape if not full, but I like the slouchiness, gives it a more casual look. It's also a great nappy bag due to the amount of crap in can hold! The only downside for me is the straps with the magnetic closure on the front flap around if you don't stick them down and are metal tipped, I scratched a car with them accidentally when walking down a narrow street blushMine have both been extremely well used and still look good, bar a bit of wear on the corner of the mini which shows up due to the lighter colour.

AgathaMystery Wed 21-Feb-18 21:42:25

So when the strap is on its shortest setting it is still mid thigh on me (5"2) when worn on 1 shoulder. So I wear it cross body or I shorten the strap by doubling it over. This makes it a shoulder bag.

IsThisMeToo Wed 21-Feb-18 21:46:08

I'm 5'8" so I am happy the strap length seems ok. Is the regular one a lot smaller than the oversized? I am also a, uhm, big girl (size 16). Is the oversized too big for casual everyday wear?

BlondeB83 Wed 21-Feb-18 21:50:37

My only issue is the regular is a little small and the oversized is massive! Why can’t there be an inbetween size?!

RiskIt4Biscuit Wed 21-Feb-18 21:51:13

Alexa is my favorite bag.
I think the regular size is better than the oversized version, but that's a matter of preference.

I have two in black, one with silver hardware and one preloved with the gold/brass hardware.
I'd love one in oak, but they seem hard to find, and I wasn't able to get a good one when they were on sale/were being discontinued.

It is such an easy bag to use - I have no problems with the lock, I love wearing it cross-body and the leather is not delicate, unlike a lot of the new Mulberry bags.

I love that it is a soft bag that melts into a puddle when on a table/chair/floor. It is possible to get liners that keep the shape of the bag.

It is a fairly old bag, so I do understand why people thing it is a bit dated, but I think it's a classic. And frankly, I don't really care what other people think - I love it and will keep using it!

If you are buying preloved, please make sure you're not buying a fake bag - it would be a pity to pay a small fortune for something that isn't what you think it is.

CanIGoToBedNow Wed 21-Feb-18 21:52:42

I found mine has frayed around the strap... oh and I had to send it back to get the fastening replaced as it just fell off.

I did use it all the time pre child - it was my everyday bag, and actually you can get a purse, phone, a nappy and a slimish packet of wipes in the bag without it looking too bulky..

MulberryPeony Wed 21-Feb-18 21:59:11

I bought an oversized suede tassel alexa preloved last summer but haven’t worn it yet. Mine is comparable to a regular Bayswater size so I’ll use it hand held. I’m short so the oversize I think is too big and clunky to be worn cross body on me.

I bought a felt liner to give it shape as it’s really floppy in suede. Just really nervous about the rain even though I’ve carbon pro’d it. I really must use it!

I have an East-West Bayswater which is a similar shape to the regular alexa and find the contents tumble inside even with a liner but that might just be me.

Mixingitall Wed 21-Feb-18 22:39:37

To give you an idea of size, in the regular one I can fit in a full sized iPad, headphones, a jumper, umbrella, purse, hairbrush etc. It’s not a small dainty bag, it’s a really useful size.

IsThisMeToo Wed 21-Feb-18 22:41:26

I have a Mac Air 13". Will that fit? I am afraid the oversized will be too oversized although given my size it will probably not look bad.

MissMarple11 Thu 22-Feb-18 08:58:15

I've got the normal sized on in black leather with silver studs and it looks like new but I alternate it with my bayswater. I'm 5'3 and it sits at bum level. The only con I have is if you don't click the poppers they jingle when you walk.grin

happytobemrsg Thu 22-Feb-18 08:58:48

I found it extremely heavy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: